Ot + dt

I like my ot
But soundwise, ableton is much better
Timestretching is not that good on ot

100 reasons to complain about ot
But i love to make music without a computer

Nothing is wrong with live. I love live. But it feels like work. I work on a computer all day and I would like to come home and not be at the computer. Also I like fiddling and ableton is too… open? I feel like I can do whatever I want to and I’m looking for limitations and challenges in my music making. Not “click, click, cmd + D, drag, scroll.”

Perhaps you would enjoy using a synthesizer for that?

2 Likes

It’s not like I’m going to be doing drastic stuff really. But being unable to do it on the DT is upsetting. I want my music making to be more fun, the cleanest sound isn’t really my goal.

I use soft synths for sound design. A lot of time in Massive X. I’m trying to get out of my computer but still be able to use and manipulate samples in a way that’s fun to me and makes sense. The appeal of the OT to me is that it’s not mounted with a touch screen. It doesn’t look like a DAW. Yet it seems to be a deep enough device for me to dig into and be busy with for a long time. I could look into a hard synth but then I would throw those samples/sounds right back into my DAW.

Sounds like you are already kind of talking yourself into a OT. There are multiple threads about this exact decision.

is a good place to start.
I would not buy the OT for time stretch though. You would be better off internally recording the loop in the digi at the correct tempo that you want that pattern to loop. If you are interested in “getting freaky with it” get an OT :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m excited to try lots of things with the OT. I’m not going for drastic types of time stretch with the OT. And from what Ricky Tinez has shown on YouTube it’s capable of handling what I would like. Also for the samples I’d like to work with on the OT I’d probably prefer it be stereo. If the digi was a stereo device my want for the OT would go down considerably but not completely

OT user here , honesty if you prepare your recordings right there’s no need for timestretch in the OT , I don’t even use it and I can manipulate the heck out of my samples. If keyboard and mouse isn’t for you and you want more hands on without a computer then get an Octatrack , but as a long time ableton user you should consider an ableton Push 2. Then you can use Push 2 and Overbridge with your DT in ableton!

2 Likes

So many people are against time stretching in OT. I don’t plan on using it extensively but sometimes I build my own pack of sounds from folders of samples I have on my hard drive and throw into the DT to mess around with for the next week or so. Is time stretch on OT really that bad? I’m not against preparing my samples before hand. Just expected to carry on my current work habits from the DT to the OT. Especially since it can have a lot more space. 1GB of drums + bass + factory library on DT is more than enough. I could even clear up some of that for leads as well. Most of my work in ableton is very very sample based. If I have to prep before hand I will but only if OTs algorithms are that bad. Sorry if I’m rambling but the question I meant to ask was if the OT makes sounds sound terrible when stretching. If it doesn’t why do so many people advise against doing it in a device that seems like it would handle it well

Oh I was referring to not worrying about what people say about time stretch , I don’t think it’s that bad but normally I turn the timestretch off on my recorded samples and set the OT bpm to that of the recorded loop for instance I sample my gameboy advance running nanoloop 2 it’s a gameboy synthesizer that makes really nice chords so I make a chord phrase and then slice it up or play it how I heard it in the GBA , this same technique could be used with any synth. But to answer the question on the time stretch an example would be your loop or sample is 80 bpms and your Octatrack is set to 180 bpm and it defaults to timestretch on “normal” setting so it ends sound a little grainy but today I noticed I timestretched a vocal loop that was way slower and it matched my 165 bpm track pretty well and gave it some ooomph and I didn’t notice any sound loss!

1 Like

Nice. Thanks for this!

1 Like

Why not study some online videos of the OT timestretching and make a judgement according to your own criteria?

2 Likes

You’re not going to truly know, until you get one.

Buy it, try it, and if it’s for you great - you’ve scratched the itch.

If it’s not for you? Return it, or flip it for the price you bought it, and get something else.

Procrastinating on forums is doing one thing really well - and that is stopping you from making music.

3 Likes

Not procrastinating really. Returning another piece of gear. Waiting for it to make it back so I can get my refund and buy an OT. Collecting thoughts and opinions in the mean time to see other perspectives because people who own it will see things differently than me (someone who doesn’t). Thanks though

2 Likes

If you use ableton mainly the Octatrack might complicate your process…
you only get 2 stereo outputs so if you create something on it then want to finish it in ableton it’s a bit of a hassle to record it all back into ableton as individual tracks…
octatrack is more geared towards live performance…
you might be better with the digitone the partner to the digitakt…
Or even analog four both really nice with overbridge more modern… just my 2 cents…

2 Likes

Regarding ableton live , I purchased a Push 2 as my first non chiptune video game hardware device and I loved it ! All the scales and being able to play multiple notes in chromatic mode with the arpeggiator on ! I was able to make tracks in 30 minutes! So defiantly look Into the push 2 which is way cheaper than an Octatrack Mkii , the push also lets you drum rack it up as a drum sequencer! I still bust my push 1 out every now and then to use while recording my Elektron devices into ableton live , I think if you own a DT and load up Overbridge VST/audio unit you can multitrack your DT and even have more control by assigning ableton Push 2 knobs to the DT CC’s via over bridge. On paper it seems like a powerful combo for your if your keen on ableton workflow. Cheers :beers:

I think it may well be for you.
Loading up stereo samples and mashing ,jamming with drums and bass on DT - oh yes!
Computers are great for preparing samples and OT is amazing at playing them back. 3 super LFOs, a warp fader, and mega Elektron seq.
You know what it is and it will definitely keep you going for a very long time.
Its took me 3 years to grow into it.
Consider version 1 as it sits next to DT better, cheaper and it’s just a nicer looking machine in my opinion.
(I cant see the work flow being slower in my opinion - Parts are only a button combo away - but what do I know? Never used OT2).

OT 2 would come with a warranty and though some people say the device lasts for a very long time I would like to be safe on that part. Mainly why I’m looking at a 2 over the 1. Also it just looks a hell of a lot nicer in my opinion. But thank you for the kind honest input. I’m still a tad on the fence about it but it may just be the sarcastic people here telling me to buy a harp instead. But once I get my refund for the last hardware I tried I’ll be able to give it a shot.

I was surprised the lack of clear sight from responders to be fair. Seems like a goer to me.

There was a good point about a synth option (Dtone) but as you have so much sample source already…

1 Like