Digitakt vs. Octatrack

I hear you, but I like doing it.

Seriously, I hear what you’re saying but I would be far more inclined to agree if this were ‘expected some time in the Fall’ - but it’s clearly in production and about to ship. Therefore I can’t see why they would be holding back some mega features. I honestly believe its price is an indicator of just how feature-packed it will be. I think that only stands to reason.

1 Like

If only they came out and said: well, we were just kidding with you all - it’s got song mode, stereo samples, silky smooth compression, a tasty digital distortion, polyrhythms, polyphonic sequencing, a handful of drum synth machines and disk streaming for backing tracks…

4 Likes

I’m not referring to mega features. I’m referring to things mentioned but not in detail, and things that remain to be clarified.

I am making an objective argument. I believe that you are making a subjective argument. We do not have to agree.

True. I wasn’t really presenting an argument as such. I don’t believe what I think is true, it’s just the way I see it.

I think we can safely say it has Polyrhythms and song mode - one of its big boasts is that it brings you that world class Elektron sequencer for a reduced price. The rest? Who knows!

I don’t think the DigiTakt will be as much about its features, as it will be about the workflow and the sound. If it plays and sounds great, you don’t need all that many features.

3 Likes

Fair point. Its simplicity might be a big draw for some people. Have they said whether or not it will have timestretch algo?

no song mode on DT its been stated already

Really? Jesus.

Yeah the list of left out features just keeps growing.

2 Likes

The Digitakt is the answer for some of the major complaints since the introduction of the AR:

AR side:

• no sampling
  • no midi sequencing

OT side:

• no new sequencer features
  • no OB

= all the major selling points for the Digitakt

Who says Elektron doesn’t listen?? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

True, but then you contend with what it doesn’t have that they do, so ‘the answer’?

Anyway, I’ve just been warned for posting too much in this topic, so I’m butting out.

Yeah but looks like they cut out Scenes, Stereo samples, song mode, insert fx, memory card, physical separate outs, multiple LFOs… And possibly slices/timestrech/parts etc…

None of the things you list are new except for midi conditional trigs right? They’re just elements from OT/AR. Now it’s a choice of what box to buy/which features to sacrifice, or collect em all…

And still no polyphonic sample tracks… Dunno if just me that misses that feature on OT?

there could be that awkward moment when your messing around with a DT then suddenly think f**k the OT would solve all these issues :scream::cold_sweat:

5 Likes

Nono. I’m not praising it as “an answer” to these complaints. I’m just pointing out how it’s ironic that all its major selling points are the major gripes people have had with the two machines people are comparing it to.

2 Likes

I’m sure that many others have wished for polyphonic sample tracks, but such a feature is the opposite of what Elektron was aiming for with the OT.

Their approach is described in “The background of the Octatrack” in the manual: they deliberately designed the OT to be something other than the polyphonic multi-sample software samplers that killed the old rackmount hardware sampler market.

The suggested applications are: looper, radical sound processor, backing track machine, live setup hub, remix tool, effects unit.

5 Likes

Not really any point in chromatic mode at all from Elektrons point of view then? Weird for them not to think ability to have a drumkit on one track would be useful? Or an instrument sound that doesn’t choke itself? Or the ability to play a chord with a timestreched sample (no neccessity for multisampling like the samplers you mention they didn’t want to mimic)…

Edit - maybe I’m not thinking it through far enough though and poly tracks would be a nightmare for p-locks etc. Im sure there’s a middle ground possible tho, or ‘poly machine’ kind of track option that has reduced p-lock parameters available?

The OT can be a monosynth using single-cycle waveforms.

Sample locks. MIDI hub with sync’d drum machine.

The last thing on Elektron’s mind is for the OT to be a polyphonic RAMpler. So many other instruments are better for that. It’s designed to do something completely different.

1 Like

I agree. And the things I’d probably miss the most on the DT compared to the OT would be insert fx and using the cue outs and inputs C/D as a resampling/performative fx loop.

Edit: Also, if you have an AH, the DT’s reverb is always before it? Not ideal.