Digitakt VS Octatrack sampling sound quality

Enrique Martinez did a comparison between these 2, I vastly preffered machine 2 (Enrique preffered machine 1) Anyway here is the video, quite interesting and try to decide which you prefer before the reveal at the end. To me machine 1 was crisper but machine 2 had much better bottom end and more punch.

8 Likes

I prefer too machine 1, cause the same reason of Enrique.

The Nyquist nerds will be unpleased.

4 Likes

I like Enrique a lot. Seems like a good fella.

2 Likes

Interesting - Enrique added a comment to his video saying that after playing the samples back in his car he noticed way more bass on the Octatrack, I wonder if the summing the stereo to mono in the Digitakt is causing some cancellation.

1 Like

I always wonder if these comparisons have OT in 24bit for both flex playback and recordingā€¦ DT is always 24 bit but OT is not by default unless you change those two settings. Also they were wrong about OT being 48K, itā€™s 44.1ā€¦

Anyway, just starting to watch nowā€¦

2 Likes

Ha, they corrected the sample rate misquoteā€¦

He must have turned time stretch off on OT huh, was never mentionedā€¦

-What I really want to know though is if the OT is on 24 bit play / 24 bit record???

7 Likes

Very possible some phase issues muddied up the low end!

I guessed which was which quite easily tbh, that greasy smoothing on the OT is kinda distinctive.

3 Likes

:heavy_heart_exclamation:

It was super easy to tell which machine was which.
I really like that Enrique dude, but heā€™s done a few ā€˜testsā€™ regarding Audio quality and he really just shouldnā€™t

3 Likes

Machine 2 sounded better to me also. :thup:

Strangely, listening to this video on my bluetooth headphones, I couldnā€™t hear a damn difference. I chalked it up to the YouTube compression, but I guess others are hearing differences. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Difference in the top end noticeable on iPhone. Both sounded good. For sampling to OT I go through some pedals first to shape the sound. Find that helps for what Iā€™m doing.

1 Like

Def a difference. I preferred the DT, BUTā€¦

I would like to hear the original samples first, not on the machines. Around the board here Iā€™ve heard it mentioned the DT adds to the sound. I would prefer uncolored sample playback.

Yeah and timestretch off, 24bit on the OT is a must.

1 Like

Thereā€™s compression involved in Bluetooth as well so youā€™re doing a lossy conversion twice. Check on a decent system

1 Like

If I understand the comments correctly he didnā€™t know that it was 16bit by default.

Which would make this video 16bit OT vs 24bit DT.

2 Likes

Damn, pretty weak test in that case. 24bit makes a surprising difference in the OT sound quality in my experience.

2 Likes

ā€œIts like removing the pillow from your earā€. Thats what i thought too. I wonder if the filters are improved on the DT. Dont think its because of the compression.