Digitakt Step Seq not Automatically Advancing

I am new to the world of the Elektron Digitakt so just discovered the Step Seq Mode. The step seq does not automatically advance to the next step but rather i have to manually advance it with the arrow buttons. I watched several videos and even jumped in discord with a friend trying to troubleshoot it. I am using a new project and updated the firmware. Neither fixed the issue.

Has anyone experienced this or have a suggestion?

1 Like

Are you on the latest 1.40B (released 2days ago)? There was a bugfix for the step advance marker not showing.

Yes, I updated it a day after it was released. I find it very odd that I am the only one having this issue. Has to be software because everything else works fine. I even tried unhooking all of my midi gear, rebooted into an empty project but still the same. very odd

Just watched your vid again - i see you’re in Step Jump mode so thatmight be something to do with it… ?

Pressing REC + STOP multiple times toggles between Jump and Standard mode. You want to be in Standard mode to not skip any steps.

But i can only recreate your issue with specific settings in Jump mode (e.g. 4/16 pattern length, trig length 1/4) but this won’t be the cause if you’re using a new default set. Best asking support really.

1 Like

I don’t have my DT with me so I can’t test this, but I think the issue is that you have to press and hold [FUNC] for auto advance to work. I got stuck with this too and gave up and then I saw someone else do that in a video and I had an ah-ha moment.

From the manual, which I just checked now:

1. Press and hold [FUNC] and then press [TRIG 1–16] key to add a note trig on the corresponding track to the active step. The active step then automatically advances to the next step.

Update:

The step sequencer does not work when the USB cable is hooked up to the computer with Logic X running for some reason. If I unplug the USB and reboot it works as it is supposed to. I will have to investigate further or not use this feature when using Logic X. I run the Digitakt through and Interface into Logic X for effect chains. A bit disappointing but it is a Logic X issue.

Never really tried step record on my digitakt till tonight and it doesn’t advance steps in either standard or jump mode
Doesn’t matter if i use external keyboard or hold function and use the onboard buttons

Pressing right arrow will advance ok tho, that way is still possible to record as normal

Is this a bug? Am on the latest firmware and AFAIK everything else works fine
Does step record still work for others here in their DT with latest FW?

Anyone find a solve for this by any chance? I’m struggling with the same issue.

Watched a bunch of videos on both modes and I can’t progress to the next trig without using the arrow keys either.

I just upgraded to the 25th anniversary edition, so everything should be up to date.

I am the one who was asking the question and posted the video. I never could get it to work and moved on to other things and kind of forgot about it. I just tried and it is working now. I am not sure what the issue was nor can replicate it anymore. I wish there was something I could tell you that solved the issue but it is stepping as it should now.

Perhaps you can make a video and post it here for everyone to check out.

(a little offtop, but) I’ve experienced weird DT behavior when using Step Seq and Scales + keyboard fold simultaniously. The same combination of buttons seems not to work (just disables the rec+stop layout), but, after a few jumps between folded Scale page and Step Seq ‘green trig’ page it begins to work. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, sometimes it’s impossible to reproduce the error.

Hi atman_rez.

First of all, sorry if my english is bad. It is not my native language.

I experienced the bug you mentioned before: my DT do not advanced to the next step neither in standard or jump mode.

The way it worked to me is by shutting down the DT, disconnect the USB cable and then power on the DT again. That way it worked as expected: I could put notes in standard and jump mode in Step Recording mode using my MIDI Controller connected via MIDI Cable to the DT.

So, I believe it is a bug related to USB Cable. I don’t know if it is because the DT expect both MIDI and USB Note On in order to advanced.

This is my first replay in this forum, by the way.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve experienced situation described in your post using MIDI cable (DT (OS.150) sending notes to external synth). It was still possible to move the green step manually with arrow keys or choose the desired step by pressing corresponding TRIG key. Reboot of DT helped.

I’ve experienced this as well, but have not found a way to reproduce it reliably.
Switching the DT off, waiting 30s, and switching it back on has always resolved it though.

thanks!

The way it worked to me is by shutting down the DT, disconnect the USB cable and then power on the DT again. That way it worked as expected: I could put notes in standard and jump mode in Step Recording mode using my MIDI Controller connected via MIDI Cable to the DT.

that worked fine also for me.
I experienced the same issue.

Is there an official way to report this bug?

Elektron.se > Support > Choose Digitakt > Create a Ticket (page bottom)