Digitakt Overbridge

If you pre-ordered a DIgitakt then goodwill is running mighty thin.

So why do people assume they have some technical problems? Overbridge as a software already exists. ALL Elektron machines if I understand correctly are build on the same framework and architecture. I donā€™ think a fully digital machine like the Digitakt is harder to integrate to Overbridge than an analog machine they already hadā€¦

If you ask me, the only reason we donā€™t have Overbridge is the Digitone and all the other mk2 machinesā€¦ But especially the Digitone. I bet the team working on Overbridge has to include all these into the software and they can release only when it works with all of themā€¦ Meanwhile Elektron might have started working on something new alreadyā€¦ Its just one rushed machine after another and the software team cannot keep up.

The ā€œtechnical problemsā€ is a nice explanation but at this point a lot of people have rose colored glassesā€¦ What Iā€™m saying we not getting Overbridge is a conscious decision and has nothing to do with technical issues.

3 Likes

Theyā€™re rewriting the Overbridge driver.

2 Likes

Well that sucks. Drivers are a big issue. My FocusRite driver is crappy, especially on Windows. They really need to hire good devs for that. Did the old one have issues? I assume its some ASIO based driver?

You would have to ask Elektron.

is not the basic version finished? becasueā€¦if th basic version isn-t finishedā€¦really they are going Bad too badā€¦ do you think if Elektron have the basic version nowā€¦ will not upload to shut up all rumors?? ā€¦ what do you think about this?

Would be nice for the Elektron ppz to give some update information on this.
Iā€™ve had a Digitakt for about two weeks, turned it on once. I donā€™t want to be jumping through hoops to load samples or sampling in mono when I want to use stereo analogue/digital synths.

All samples become mono. This is not a matter of overbridge. I actually think converting everything to mono is great for this kind of sampler.

4 Likes

I doubt Overbridge will bring stereo samples to the DT.

At this point Iā€™m eager to see how the whole OB thing will pan out. Iā€™ve yet to hear a Digitakt-only production (mine included) that doesnā€™t sound like a demo, or at the very best, decidedly lo to mid-fi. It is simply incapable of creating hi-fi tracks on itā€™s own, unless the arrangement is sparse enough that 2-bus processing is all you need.

Itā€™s kinda annoying really.
I use a lot of stereo synths and like to pan things around the field. I suppose if they arenā€™t going to bring stereo capability to the digitakt, Iā€™ll stick to using the MPC Live for most of that side of things and just use the Digitakt for designing glitched out breaks.

1 Like

Loading sample can be done using the transfer app relatively easily by dragging and dropping. It will ā€œconvertā€ stereo files to mono by taking the left channel only. Not sure why transfer is not designed to sum the stereo though.

What I donā€™t get is why have stereo outs when you can only sample in mono?
The whole point of stereo outs is surely to be able to use samples that are stereo and to pan things around the field.

Something happened while I was replying hence the double post

I do not understand why elektron like to design their synths to do mono vs stereo per track cause ultimately the elektron boxes do give out a stereo signal. The dt itself is actually needs the stereo outs even though it samples in mono. The fx get applied in stereo and there is a ping pong delay which requires stereo outs to really function properly. Additionally sounds can be panned including the useful hard pan left or right and the LFO panning trick to create mock stereo.

Would I like to see stereo sampling and playback? Definitely

2 Likes

I think itā€™s truly a waste of a great function.
The ability to sample in stereo and pan correctly other samples is a basic function in most other samplers. Itā€™s crippling the machine when there is no real need. The only thing I can think of is that it is due to trying to save storage space, which is valiant n all but allowing us to use an external hd via usb and streaming from disc would make this a non-issue.

1 Like

Function/feature/price wise the more comparable box to the MPC Live would be the Octatrack, So itā€™s easy to compare the Digitakt and say xyz are missing compared to the MPC because the MPC live is meant to be more robust.

But more back on topic, if you havenā€™t utilized the transfer app at least for putting your mono sample on the DT you should try. Itā€™s relatively easy and hassle free. Also better than just waiting on overbridge.

Summing a stereo signal to mono with a L+R operation can lead to nasty phase issues if the two channels arenā€™t independent. Much better to just grab one channel as a default behavior.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve found the effects of the DT have a stereo aspect to them and even if your source is mono you can produce a stereo output.

Yes, it would have been great to use stereo samples unconverted, but that wasnā€™t done. However, I do like the audio space I can create within the limitations of the instrument using effects and the very flexible amp and trig controls.

1 more LFO per track would be wonderfulā€¦

The big thing for me - Overbridge aside - is the inability to archive the DT. I feel like Iā€™m skating on ice at the end of winterā€¦ That basic functionality (via flash or usb) should have been a part of the package from day 1 (well, maybe day 2).

I just got an Octatrack MkII a couple of days ago (yeah, stereo!) and can really appreciate the ability to back up my data as well as treat the CF card on the Octa as a hard drive for file transfers.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had an Octatrack for about two weeks. It got sold, I just couldnā€™t gel with it. Having to keep using the manual to find out what I wanted or referring to forums. The ability to use stereo and the cf card was a massive plus though.
I donā€™t think Iā€™d get another one, but time will tell, if for some reason I end up with weeks on end with spare time, then itā€™s a possibility. I am time limited so such a convoluted os/process isnā€™t any help to me especially when compared to my old Akai MPC 2000xl which I could turn on and start working on stuff instantly without referring to a manual.

Not sure if you are aware but the DT now has a half functioning sysex backup feature as of 1.05. I say half functioning cause it doesnā€™t back up samples.

1 Like

Good to know, jefones - Iā€™ll look into it.