Digitakt out now!

Yeah. The BOM for the DT is most likely shockingly low. We pay for the R&D and the software.

oh for sure Iā€™m not disputing the price just saying that im pretty sure the hardware can live up to it in this day and age

Seems less about power and more about memory leaks, conflicting instructions and so on. Iā€™m sure itā€™s all there, just needs some more developer love.

2 Likes

Real strange that some units seem to have bugs, crash more often and loose factory sounds and patterns and others do not!

I will skip 1.02 for sure!

1 Like

That;s what I was thinking. certain chips or something may not be as compatible or something.

I mean, Iā€™m very happy I got an early unit. Iā€™m looking at this as being part of a release candidate version. Weā€™re almost there. Itā€™s not like itā€™s not already awesome.

2 Likes

It is always the same when a new machine comes out, from what I can gather the new MPCs are also having issues, if you want to avoid it the answer is simple - donā€™t be an early adopter.

I actually was going to wait until all the major quirks had been ironed out before considering a DT, but I was offered a good deal on one and I had some store credit so I took the plunge, I did so knowing that there will be at least a few months of updates before it settles down.

In defence of the companies they cannot possibly test every user scenario, or test compatibility with every piece of gear or daw setup, so user bug reports are an essential part of early development- I do think that there should be some reward for early adopters in these type of case, like free soundpacks and such, exclusive to early adopters, some companies do this some donā€™t.

1 Like

fair point but they did not position the product as such. I think at least a clarification beforehand that this is still in pretty much beta form should be necessary. And if so they should be treating it as a beta program with the appropriate setup to incorporate feedback into their development. This feels more like a rant thread created by frustrated users.

1 Like

No argument from me, I wasnā€™t defending the practice just stating it for what seems to be common practice these days, mostly with smaller and medium size companies but also larger ones.

1 Like

Obvious answer is obvious.

Yeah, I just didnā€™t really want to believe that. Ie. Elektron care way more about money/sales than customer satisfaction/relationship/honesty? Was hoping Iā€™d missed something :wink: Not sure thatā€™s a great strategy long termā€¦

Hard to say. Maybe they were low on money and had to get some quick cash from somewhere to avoid problems?

Donā€™t assume thereā€™s purpose or strategy here.

Given Elektronā€™s outspoken ambitions of releasing more machines than before and Overbridge to boost with that, I think itā€™s as simple as they just havenā€™t caught up with how to handle the combination of success, growth and release. Theyā€™ve underestimated the challenge and now theyā€™re catching up, one release at a time. Weā€™re in the middle of it and the only thing I could wish for is that Elektron was a bit more precise in their communication.

Just say it like it is, Elektron. We can take it. Weā€™re not going anywhere. Your stuff remains ace. We can handle the truth and we donā€™t mind the ride, as long as thereā€™s some idea of the destination ahead.

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t explain why there was zero warning about any of the issues tho. Or even after units first shipped they could have quickly came on here before units were received and pinned a ā€˜confirmed bugsā€™ post of the things they had already found and at least saved everyone the hassle/panic of ā€˜is this a bug?ā€™ ā€˜oh shit this happened! Is my unit broke?ā€™ etcā€¦ Shady practiseā€¦

Hi,
First time Elektron user here. Just got the Digitakt a couple days ago.

Iā€™m actually not that bothered. Yeah there are some kinks to iron out, but nothing thatā€™s stopping me.
Having a lot of fun with whatā€™s already there and knowing that itā€™s only going to get better is not such a terrible feeling.

So instead of focussing on what it isnā€™t, I focus on what it is right now.

So yeah, I love my Digitakt.

1 Like

If this kind of broken release non-strategy is a result of them having more projects on the boil due to success, Iā€™d recommend they slow down. I definitely wonā€™t be early adopting now even if OT2 arrives :wink: Just wait until something works before release, or warn buyers of issues. Seems the obvious/honest routeā€¦

Thatā€™s cool youā€™re happy with it but for anyone buying it for live use or needing OB for separate tracks Iā€™d guess itā€™s a different storyā€¦

Ironing out bugs/missing features being added later after release is fine/a given with new hardware. But DT seems to take it to a new level so farā€¦

1 Like

Edit, nmā€¦
I donā€™t want to argue

2 Likes

Not trying to argue or generate negativity. Just feels like Elektron have been pretty lame/dishonest on this one and taken peopleā€™s trust/respect for granted for their own benefit. Iā€™m not a fan of being misled/manipulated and it just makes me very cynical about getting excited about anything they put out in future until long after releaseā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit surprised that something like smooth midi sync wasnā€™t super easy for Elektron to get right from the outset. Iā€™ve never had any sort of sync issue on the MD, AR or OT. Itā€™s a strange thing (among other bugs) to get wrong. (I should add, however, that due to all the reports I havenā€™t actually used midi sync yet, but have used midi notes in and out, and have not had one crash in 10+ hours of use ā€¦ touch wood).

In any event, I am already very happy with the DT. I bought it primarily as a supercharged microgranny, and in that respect itā€™s great already. It will be truly great once the sequencing / midi is fixed.

2 Likes