Digitakt + Octatrack set up/workflow. Need the Jedi counsels instruction

Have you watched those old original cheesy Elektron tutorial videos? I admit I watched all of them about 18 times before I bought my OT. It really helped me! (I know everyone learns differently though.) Resampling is SO MUCH FUN and I’m terribly bad at it lol

The old vids are short - start from here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w_PlGzqTYM

2 Likes

btw I say this with a huge truckload of love :slight_smile: They are great videos!

I haven’t but I’ll take a look! I’ve tried to watch tutorials before (cuckoo etc) but always end up spacing out haha.

Looking at the vids again I have come across them before but its difficult because I know some things (i.e. routing fx and lfos) very well but then more basic concepts i just never learned. I’m gonna give them a solid watch tonight. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s just taken me a lot of practice, and watching the tutorial video’s over and over. I think the hardest part for me was knowing what was a recorder trig and what was a play trig… There are a bunch of different levels of confusion when sampling, i think because there are so many different ways of sampling. I will try and help if you have any questions, but just spending an entire afternoon watching the various tutorials on youtube and following them step by step…For manual sampling i like the Cuckoo one

And this one for record trigs.

I had to just keep watching these vids over and over, following along with my OT, in order to understand the process.
5 Likes

I know what you mean; that’s why I like these short ones :smiley:

That said, there’s nothing better than making a cup of tea on the weekend and sitting down with a @cuckoomusic video for an hour or two! <3

Thanks a lot! This will be my weekend. Gotta get myself back into the octatrack!

Just trying to remember, off the top of my head…

4 Likes

So you’re keeping the OT after all, or them both?

Well, I spent the whole day planning the Midi & Audio ins and outs, finally got there. All works like a dream! :wink:

Digi is the master clock, sends midi to the Octa-track, then thru to a thru box to midi up other instruments. Analog heat acts as a thru for my Midi keyboard to the Digi.

7 Likes

That is kinda my dream set-up. Don’t have the money for a Heat yet, but will get one in the near future. I do have the DT, OT and the SH-01a (and don’t forget a laptop and iPad :wink:) … Such a power combo! Now all you have is time and learning the instruments. Have fun!

2 Likes

Hello…!
How about controlling digitakt through octatracks 8 midi channels(example dt plays one shot drum samples). I feel like it is easier and more clear to sequence with just one machine, so i wonder would there be any negative things when using octatracks midi instead digitakts own sequencer? One good benefit would be more lfo:s to use with dt 8 track channels. What ya think?

3 Likes

yes! this exactly! lfo’s to DT tracks and having the audio back into a pickup on OT is mad creative and will create stunning results.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Thoughts on adding to DT + AF?

I am just actually trying this out, but I can not get the O.T. to tell the D.T. to play. Works the other way around perfectly but not in this method as yet. Trying to figure out why but I am struggling a bit here!

Sorted, finally all working, Octa-track is now sending program changes to the Digitakt, with no delay either! Looks like they finally fixed that bug! YEAHHHHHH

1 Like

I finally got some time to play around with the DT+ OT combination.

I created a single-pattern project on the OT, wich looks something like this:
TRACK 1 - THRU track, input from Digitakt. FX: Filter, Delay
TRACK 2 - NEI track. FX: LoFi, Reverb
TRACK 3 - Buffer recording from T8, for transitions.
TRACK 4 - same as TRACK 2, same FX order as T1 and 2.

TRACK 5 - acts as some sort of file player (vocals, or long backing tracks that don’t fit on the DT)
TRACK 6 - same as T2/4, same FX order.
TRACK 7 - (empty, for now)
TRACK 8 - master track

it seems to work pretty good, and I still have to dive deeper into scenes - I also wonder if I could program Digitakt’s MIDI track buttons so, once clicked, they reset multiple parameters at once - for example the filter/delay/lofi/reverb parameters - instead of having to reload the part, wich could be used for different results…

EDIT: I managed to make the DT reset assigned parameters from the MIDI tracks… but the only work once, after pressing stop > play > trig.
it doesn’t transmit the CC values after that. any ideas?

2 Likes

Hey man - can you let me know how you did this? I’m just trying to integrate my OT MK 2 and Digitakt. Both are MIDI slaves and both will stop/start when I press the transport on my master (it’s coming from my modular). I can’t get the digi to change patterns when I change patterns on the OT - I’ve ensure that Program Change is set to receive - I’m thinking it probably has to do with my midi channel config and the ‘channel’. I have the auto channel and receive program change channel set to be the same (I didn’t really change this setting much). So that is what I think is happening, but just wanted to check with you on how you set everything up (OT is set to send PC messages on channel 11, Digi is set to receive PC messages on channel 11).

Thanks in advance.

Ypsi Kid.

This is a monster thread. WTLDR gaga, So, I had a DT, returned it for an OT, LOVE THE OT, but now I’m feeling greedy and would love to have the DT handle drums. Will it slave to the OT and can I set it up to pattern change and arrange with the OT or is that a whole thing? ( I know the answer may be in there somewhere.

1 Like

digtakt slaves well to OT, and receives program change. there is a trade off in the master/slave decision though: DT as slave forfeits per pattern bpm which OT lacks; while OT as slave forfeits pickup machines, which you might consider if you’re interested in maybe live dubbing a finger drummed digitakt beat

2 Likes

I see! well, ideally the DT would handle drums, and mono synth, ( I don’t anticipate a ton of BPM changes in my patterns if any)and the OT would drive. The big question is, can you use the arranger in the OT work with the DT ( the lack of a proper arranger was one of the reasons I traded it for the OT) essentially giving me an additional 8 mono tracks slaved by the OT?

And how complex is the program change programming between the 2?