Digitakt + Octatrack set up/workflow. Need the Jedi counsels instruction

This is so true.
Btw. I also own both, but only OT will stay cause it can handle 95% of the DT easily, at least for my purposes

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for such a thoughtful response. I found it quite helpful!

I too have a deluge. I agree, its an instant staple.

I think for me I have a couple problems you dont: it would almost be awesome if I had a bunch of problems with one of them and could return under warranty but I dont and cant. Reality is, my decision just gets tougher-- I will be selling at a loss selling the OT and close to even with the DT. Overbridge will be a game changerā€¦ one dayā€¦

But I keep going in circles. On one hand I could set it up rad, with DT handling drums, OT mangling, and add a Digitone too for a little trio of awesomeness. On the other hand, I feel like I only ever end up using either the DT or the OTā€¦ never both, kind of like how you ended up ITT. I feel like I want it to all work perfectly together in a way I can never seem to understand, and then I just get frustrated and go back to the DT, which I have become thoroughly proficient at using. I KNOW for a fact I would lust for an OT again at some pointā€¦ but hell, just buy one then, huh?

This was the way my decision was going and then roland did the whole tr8s thing and ruined me again. TR 8s and OT seems viable too! Fortunately Iā€™m already broke right now because otherwise Iā€™d be broke. Hahaha

There is a reason why the OT is twice the rice of the DT, itā€™s a much more powerful machine. I will need another oneā€¦ eventually. Muuuuuwahahahahahahahah

2 Likes

Yeah I feel that. But, at least in my experience, thereā€™s validity to the abbreviated workflow of the Digitakt. Easier to get to the fun part. But sometimes the fun part is the diving in the octatrack. I hate how fickle I am but hell its why I still have both boxes.

Do you need song mode? Recording perfect samples quickly is so good and I love the accuracy of record trigs on a flex track. It was awesome to mangle live audio on the fly. I donā€™t know man, this is a really tough spot.

ABSOLUTELY. Itā€™s more fun to me than the OT, itā€™s why people love the OP-1 so much, you just get right tot he music, but the producer side of me pulls towards the Octatrack.

2 Likes

100 % same here
Skip the fun part. We are serious :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Agree on that. It has a nice workflow and interface. And nice fx.
But thatā€™s not enough to hold up against mighty OT.
I donā€™t want too many machines with overlaps. Weā€™ll see :slight_smile:

Hahahahaha! Oh man, these choices are borderline existential. What came first, the DT or the egg?? Keep the DT, it makes you happier, at least thatā€™s what I am gathering from this. Get the OT later, maybe there will be an MK3 with MEGABRIDGE OVERPASS or OVER THE RAINBOW.

2 Likes

No OT is my old proven friend, it will stay till the lights go down :slight_smile:
Or a real successor comes out

I meant to address that to @Milodowling, I know you are gonna keep the OT, no question in that. However, @Unifono you need to try a Deluge.

2 Likes

Ok. Didnā€™t take notice of it so far. Just read the name

Making me miss my OT!

I have a DT and a OTmkI and have been using them together for about 6 months now. Bought the OT for a good price because I wanted the extra functions, including audio time stretch. Sort of thought of it as a replacement for the never on-time OB. I basically spent the last 6 months learning the OT, hardly touching the DT during that timeā€¦But, I think I have a pretty good handle on the OT now. Now, Iā€™ve been writing tracks on both machines, sending the DT output to an OT through machine, using the cue to add things to the OT (also adding OT compressor/filter to DT main)ā€¦Sort of like DJing with drum machinesā€¦And also adding 8 tracks to the OT when it needs it. I find this set-up pretty amazingā€¦But, after all my work learning the OT, I find it to be one of the most amzing pieces of gear I couldā€™ve ever dreamed ofā€¦And I have so much more to learn. If I were you I would keep them both and master them. But, Iā€™m not you.

5 Likes

I have both, and I have a Blofeld too, that I bought from a member of the forum.

I canā€™t drive all the things at once because Iā€™m not an octopus. So, what Iā€™ve been having fun with, is first making groovy-af patterns in the DT, and running them through the OT. I then sample a few bars of the DTā€™s funky beats while Iā€™m tweaking it or whatever, then I might play the sample back in unison with the DT, but modified somehow, like at half speed, or up an octave but with the low frequencies cut out, or whatever. I find this layering approach super satisfying and fun!

The Blofeld I donā€™t use much yet ā€œliveā€ as such; I find a nice pad or a funky arp sound and again I sample it to the OT and play with it there.

ā€¦ anyway I really love both of those instruments, and for me they serve quite different purposes. DTā€™s job is funky beats; OTā€™s job is turning them (and Blofeldā€™s pads and lush chords) into musically interesting and fun creations.

It is certainly making it take me longer to ā€œmasterā€ both of the machines though!

2 Likes

Itā€™s quite possible to have some serious fun with an Octatrackā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Thats a dope setup. I had the opposite introduction-- had the OT first and I remember having the same feelings with it. Then I went abroad for 3 months and bought the digitakt to take with me. I became a master of the DT and my octa skills got stale. I think thatā€™s where my problem got introduced. Iā€™m going to wire them both up tonight and get into it-- load up the dt with all my drum oneshots and the octa with everything else. Hopefully this will be my weekend and ill really enjoy it.

+1 on trying the deluge. I donā€™t use it as an octa replacer so to speak, but as a portable as hell and surpisingly deep box for sampling on the go-- its worth looking at. For me, it was what finally scratched the itch the op-1 produced.

Also I think I would agree with you on keep the DT and go back to OT later if I want-- BUT the TR-8s just happened, and in my purposes, its a real DT killerā€¦ Iā€™m going to try getting both to play nice with each other this weekend then see where I end up.

Iā€™ve been using the OT mostly for loops and sample chains, and of course single, one hit samples on the DTā€¦ Oh and really long samplesā€¦ Right now Iā€™m finally getting the hang of sampling on the OT. For some reason this has been the hardest hurdle for me to get over. Iā€™m really excited about the live sampling/manipulation possibilities! Still feel I need a bit more practice, but Iā€™m getting there.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in the exact same boat! I almost never sample straight to the OT and generally sample to a DAW and then move that to the OT. Those videos of Cenk live resampling are a complete mystery to me, and i dont even exactly know why. Let me know if you find anything that helps it click for you.

1 Like