Digitakt "Kit" Structure. How is it different?

on another note:
look its nice to debate whats the perfect feature set etc.

but if elektronauts would be a bit more clever and stick to wishes that are more realistic to be added by the HQ, we would have seen much more optimisations, for example in the OT.
its a thing of creating a big enough mass…(vs. the noise. sorry)

I get your point but different people have VERY different views of what’s realistic when it comes to feature suggestions.

Feature suggestions ; Send them in and let Elektron sort them out.

So as long as you can’t copy or load a kit into a pattern it shouldn’t be called a kit? That makes no sense IMHO.

1 Like

The problem with the term is that on the other Elektron boxes, ‘Kit’ means something different, a set of sounds that stand alone as a self-contained entity which can be used for different patterns. Because of this, there is a perfectly justifiable expectation from experienced Elektron users that in the latest box the term will have the same meaning.

As a self contained ‘kit’ it makes sense to use the same term, but otherwise they’re just ‘the sounds used in this pattern’

Personally, as I said elsewhere on the forum, I’d be happy with a simple modifier key combo to allow copy/paste of just the sounds from one pattern into another without affecting the notes, and/or a combo to allow switching to a new pattern’s note trigs whilst leaving the samples from the old on in place.

Anyone else that hasn’t saved or used sounds from the Sound Browser like me? I know it might be handy in the future but till now copy and pasting served me fine. I guess once I need sounds in other projects I’ll export some there.

1 Like

Digitakt user manual already says"kit". See section 9. PATTERNS, KITS, SOUNDS, AND SAMPLES :

A Pattern contains:
• A kit.
• All parameter settings for the eight MIDI tracks.
• Sequencer data like trigs and parameter locks.
• The settings on the TRIG PARAMETERS page, BPM, length, swing and time signature settings.

A Kit contains:
• Eight audio track sounds.
• LEVEL settings for the audio tracks

Ok, yeah I get your point of view. But I don’t agree that having a name “kit” is bad or wrong in the Digitakt as name to the 8 sounds within a pattern.

Exactly. If it doesn’t exist as an independent thing, why even bother naming it? The sounds/levels only exist as part of a pattern so calling them a kit is just confusing the issue for owners of every other Elektron box where kits exist as unique in their own right.

1 Like

It needs a name because you can do stuff on a Kit level. And that functionality makes sense, don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.

The pattern menu:

10.5.2 CLEAR • KIT DATA
Clears the active pattern’s kit. All sequencer data will remain unchanged.

10.5.3 SAVE TO PROJ • KIT DATA
Saves the active pattern’s kit to the +Drive. (Excluding the sequencer data.)

10.5.4 RELOAD FROM PROJ • KIT DATA
Reloads the active pattern’s kit from the +Drive. (Keeps your sequence data.

And there’s probably more functionality on the kit level coming. Copy/Paste Kit and Import/Export Kit are my best guesses.

Being pissed that a Kit is locked into a pattern is another story, I get that some like the other way where kits are on a project level and you link one or many patterns to a single kit.

2 Likes

I know we all know this, but just for clarity:
The DT has kits. Each pattern contains one kit, it is specific to that pattern and can not be changed. The kit is used to separate the 8 track sounds and levels from the sequencer data for independent saving and reloading purposes within the pattern…

1 Like

call them Schmeckels or Werks or whatever you want but they are there and they’re kits.

3 Likes

TLDR the whole thread, but there is a workaround to copying just the kit between patterns. Long-winded, but possible…

1. save whole project
  2. copy the pattern that contains kit you want to add to other patterns
  3. paste the copied pattern over the pattern/s that you wish to give this kit to
  4. use the pattern menu to reload ‘sequence data only’ on those patterns

voila! they now have the same kit. for my purposes, this works quite well. hoping that elektron add a simpler method to copy kit only, though :wink:

17 Likes

Beautiful.

I’m currently considering buying a Digitone for both the synth side and finally getting my hands on a MIDI Elektron sequencer and I came across the issues of kits as well through my research on the Digi-machines, as I’m used to the A4/AR structure.

With @bauer’s work-around :arrow_up:︎:

• Does editing the synth parameter on one pattern carry to the next one? ie. If I do that setup with A1 and A2 patterns, then tweak the filter’s cutoff while A1 is playing and then switch to A2, will the cutoff jump back to its original position or will it keep my change? (Thinking both during sound-design phase and live tweaking)
  • Same question with MIDI CC – will the changes i may have done on A1 carry on when switching to A2?

Basically, I’m trying to figure out if this is really linking the kit between the two patterns or if this is just a quick way to copy the sounds between them?

The changes you make to a pattern will only pertain to that pattern. It will be changed in A1 but will not be changed in A2. Makes it a bit difficult to create multiple patterns for longer variations or chord progressions since if you change the cutoff as you say, it will jump to a a different value when you switch. So, difficult to jam seamless with patterns.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for confirming what I was fearing. What a weird design choice, especially on the Digitone which is definitely targeted at making melodic content. The devil really is in the details in the choices between simplicity and crippling some obvious use cases.

Anyway, don’t want to start another elektron-users-flame-war over here :wink: – at least I know what to expect.

Fortunately, with the Digitone, copying a track’s parameters from one pattern to another is not difficult.
And while there is no overall kit copy on DN or DT, at least with DT, there are only 4 tracks to copy and paste, within a kit.
It’s far more cumbersome on Digitakt, thanks twice the track count.

I prefer the Kit copy/browser scheme of the larger Elektrons, but on Digitone it’s absence does not bother me as much as I thought it would.

1 Like

i’ll just say that i have to put my jedi hat on when working with saving “kits” on the digitakt. i typically don’t change my kits up much across patterns due to the sudden change in parameter settings.

i’m not gonna lie, i would like the digitakt a lot more if it had a similar kit system to its bigger siblings. a song mode would also make me happy, but :pensive:

i don’t think the overall sceme of either the digitakt/tone will change much…tho, i am expecting a more rebust mixer/more effects in the future :slight_smile:

If i could change only one thing about the DT it would be the kit structure. I have no hopes for Elektron to change it but the DT would double its value for me. Especially for playing livesets.

1 Like

I’ve been confused about this as I don’t have a DT but have studied the manual…
Some people have said they’ve used the +drive sound to carry changes… I know you said sound pool so maybe that’s different…

The manual says this:

Can you load a sound from the sound pool on a few patterns and when you modify it on one pattern it changes on the others? Or do you have to save the changes to the sound pool sound first?