Digitakt "Kit" Structure. How is it different?

It doesn’t matter from where you load a sound from into a pattern. It always make a copy of it and this copy is stored within the pattern.

The only benefit of sounds in the sound pool is that you can also use these for sounds locks.

That’s what I thought, but others have suggested different multiple times in previous threads…
There is no way to change a sound and have it be changed in another pattern with out some sort of copy/paste or save/reload, right?

Right. At least a “save to …” and “load from …” (or copy&paste) is required to get a modified sound from one pattern to another.

That they left out a dedicated kit structure which can be shared is one of the reasons why the Digitakt is not attractive to me (Mono samples is the other one).

1 Like

So my conclusion from reading these replies: No known work around on avoiding “jumps” between parameters change on the same sounds or midi cc between patterns?

2 Likes

I bought a Digitakt to handle my drum things, as I had only an A4 and nothing else, and wanted to perform a live show… What’s written on it is that it’s a “Drum computer and sampler” so it was marketed as being able to handle all the drum things. But it also has a lower price tag than all the other bigger machines, so it appeared natural to miss some functionality.

I’m running the digitakt chained to the A4, so whenever I change a pattern on A4 the one on the Digitakt changes as well, what bugs me is that I usually leave the mixing part to the end, after I finish the track, I go thru my A4 and Digitakt kits and mix all the sounds. And it will be tedious to do that on Digitakt, my workaround is that I keep the drum pattern the same all across the song, I just mute-unmute, FILL, and use trig-probability to keep things interesting. But I don’t dare tweak the pattern to each A4 pattern cos that will make my life a living hell.

I’m sometimes afraid that Elektron is not adding functionality just to be inline with the price-tag, I really hope that is not the case.

1 Like

I really don’t understand why y’all want your sounds to stay the same. The pattern and sound independence is one of the coolest things about the Digis! Plus the sound pool is a huge kit. I would be totally bummed if Elektron changed this. I don’t want to be forced to save all the kits individually. That would get messy, and I would probably run out.

4 Likes

A lot of us improv through a succession of patterns, we tweak the drums, change patterns but not kit, tweak more, change patterns but not kit. It allows the changes to go through…

On AR you have 128 patterns and 128 kits, so if you want you can have it work like DT but you don’t have to. There is also an option to reload kit on each pattern change, and a function to reload all kits…

The only difference is the first time you set up a new pattern, you perform load kit and select a blank one. After this it stays forever associated with the pattern, unless you reassign one of the 128 kits which is nice to do for variation if you want… You do have to save kit if you make changes you want to keep after power cycle, but it’s just yes+kit to save, no+kit to reload…

3 Likes

Are kits project independent? That would be one of the the only advantages for me. You can do everything you said easier with the Digis copy and paste. Except that it only effects the current pattern, which I like better.

No, kits are not project independent.

As already stated before here: you can have a kit for each pattern. So kits won’t restrict you in any way, but you gain the “patterns can share a kit” feature which can be a very useful when performing live.

Suppose you want a smooth transition from pattern A to pattern B with the “same” sound on track 1, but you have modified the sound live while pattern A is running. How to get this smooth transition working?

Copy and paste doesn’t work here, because you cannot paste a sound of track 1 “forward” to track 1 of pattern B without activating B. It only works when pattern A shares the same kit with pattern B, because then each modification will carry over automatically (when you want so / can be disabled - see system option “reload kit when pattern changes”).

2 Likes

Patterns, yes. Single sounds to specific tracks??

1 Like

You certainly can’t do everything I said with the DT, if you read it again you actually can’t do any of it with the DT.
I don’t mind if you like the way the DT works, I think it’s an awesome device and that’s great…
But one of the reasons I wouldn’t get it is what I said above, and that’s fine too…
There’s no device preference war here, only facts…
Copy/paste is an extra step not necessary on AR…

AFAIK “future” pasting of only sounds is not a possibility of any Elektron device.

So to clarify things and don’t spread wrong informations:

Can you please answer my question: Is the Digitakt really capable of “future” pasting only sounds (not patterns) as your post implied?

I quite like the DT method, it has +/- over previous machines, but it would be cool if patterns could load other kits, and further to this it would be super fun to have kit locks too, imagine kitlocking different kits to each step, even if there would be glitches from fx and samples being cut short it would be worthwhile.

But how does this help you with the problem of smooth transition from one pattern to the other? By pasting the complete mumbo-jumbo you overwrite the content of the pattern you want to play next. Not really helpful …

So if you really know how the system works, why do you suggest such nonsense?

1 Like

When it comes down to it…

-For some people the AR kit structure makes them not get or want to use one…
-For some people the DT kit structure makes them not get or want to use one…

It’s just like that… :joy:
It’s also one of those sensitive Elektronaut topics like song mode, overbrigde, and midi out for analog series… :rofl:

2 Likes

“Mumbo jumbo” == all of the stuff (pattern + sounds)

Sorry, but it seems you are the one who doesn’t grasp what this discussion is about. It not about tweaking patterns and why future pasting of patterns is useful.

This discussion is about already existing patterns, sound tweaking and smooth transitions between the existing patterns. That’s a complete different topic.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Live performance doesn’t mean only live jamming.

Think of a musican on stage. Normally his live performance consists of premade patterns (some songs he indent to play), but to spice things up he also tweaks the sounds like doing spontaneous filter sweeps and stuff like this. Give the performance just a little bit of life by its own, some uniqueness so to speak. But this way he ends up normally with a different sound then he started with.

Suppose he tweaked the bass and next pattern should continue with the same bass sound (the tweaked one). Without the possibility to share this sound between patterns it will reset back to its original state and therefore the transition between the patterns is noticable and not seemless.

Hopefully this clarifies it why it may be useful for some people.

4 Likes

Never mind, the manual gave up its secrets.

But you cant move between patterns which have the same sounds but different melodies. I think that might be what some of the others are referring to, that is what I think would be great at least. That you have a sound linked between patterns, so in pattern 1 you have melody 1, and in pattern 2 melody 2, played by the same sound. And if you change the filter cutoff in pattern 1, this cutoff will stay the same when you get to pattern 2, not jump to a predetermined value set in pattern2, so you get a seamless transition into the new melody. But I might be misunderstanding what people are referring to, this is a bit confusing because a lot of the terminology is kind of unclear to me.

2 Likes