Digitakt II PCB

To whom it may concern – have fun!

48 Likes

That 32gb eMMC storage is an odd choice, it’s a sub $20 part, and given we have 20gb storage available, isn’t configured in its pSLC mode, so it’s a TLC NAND, just like what you’d find in a 32gb Kingston SD card.

Fingers crossed this won’t be a future common failure part given people are likely going to want to fill that 20gb with long stereo files :sweat_smile:

A full 400mb project is likely going to take 8-10 seconds to read from this part into the RAM at its average read speed of 52mb/s - probably quick enough, but still a pause if you are planning to play sets from different projects.

Thanks for these photos!

36 Likes

For reference if you’re curious :

CPU
https://www.nxp.com/part/MCF54415CMJ250#/

DSP
https://www.analog.com/en/products/ADSP-21569.html

6 Likes

Interesting there are quite a few unpopulated capacitor, resistor, diode and transistor pads, as well as 2 headers not used - wonder if the PCB will be used in other products later - DTKB?

It is likely that one or both of the headers might be for testing/programming/diagnostics purposes I guess.

3 Likes

That’s the upcoming analog heat extension - just slap a few more components and you’re done :blush:

1 Like

Sharc Week.

7 Likes

Is this the same topic as

or is it more specific ?

2 Likes

I used to work for Motorola (I wasn’t on the semiconductor team) but still lovely to see companies using 68k based cpus in new products.

4 Likes

x68 forever!

1 Like

I for one am fascinated they went for a WHITE optocoupler on the MIDI port.

2 Likes

Should be merged

2 Likes

ok, can you post pictures of your guts now?
thank you

1 Like

I suspect it has more to do with them wanting to have a variety of configuration options during development, and production, without having to update the PCB. For instance here you can see that they have the ability to use two different size chips. This might be just for development, or it may be so that if one chip goes out of stock, they can go to the other option. Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 1.23.48 PM

4 Likes

According to the NXP link, the main CPU is legacy chip first launched in December 2017. I’m guessing it’s the same as the one in the DT1.

So many Kingston chips in there you might expect the DT2 loves sampling Jamaican reggae

14 Likes

I’m assuming 68k referring to Motorola 68000 - Wikipedia and not x68?

5 Likes

400mb of samples on a quick change project

madlad

2 Likes

As a tinkerer with a soldering gun and DIY instructions and kit, I am envious of the knowledge and skills of development team that put this all together and came out with the D2.

What a wonderful thing to be a part of.

10 Likes

yes, my mistake)

1 Like

The Digitone (2018) has two coldfire cpus inside. This suggests that Elektron ought to be able to implement the sequencer enhancements in the DT2 in the Digitone and Syntakt in an update.

4 Likes