Introducing Digitakt II

Keeping mine for sure, there’s a sentimental attachment. I plan to keep it in the living area of my home for spontaneous playtime, or use it for taking out with a usb battery. It was my first Elektron box, and I feel a real bond with it. Just like I felt with my first Gameboy :raised_hands:t2:

12 Likes

Totally the same here. Playing the DTII felt like meeting up again with an old mate, who now is even a better version of himself.

5 Likes

I don’t feel comfortable selling it at a time when the world is being flooded with used DT1s. I’ll hold on for a while I think. Also I’ve kind of bonded with the thing somehow, it’s like my first bass guitar… I should sell it but I probably won’t.

In terms of using it, I’m already thinking I may keep the DT1 for classic drum machine duties where stereo, chorus etc aren’t relevant (for me, anyway) and use the DT2 for everything melodic plus beat chops.

Then my Syntakt will be mostly focused on what it does best (IMO)… a monstrous analog kick plus a set of great mono synths.

8 tracks on DT1 plus 12 tracks on ST plus 16 tracks on DT2 = ridiculously more tracks than I will ever need for anything, ever.

4 Likes

I can’t find info about the new dsp that is used in the DTII? Is it a ARM chip?

2 Likes

Hmmm I will dig in to that on monday. Thanks for bringing it up.

2 Likes

Deets here

2 Likes

It is an Analog Devices SHARC SoC: ADSP-21569

6 Likes

Coldfire processor MCF54415CMJ250 still used too, likely controlling everything else, display, peripheral IO, system management, etc.

It appears the Kingston D2516ECMDXGJD is used as the SoC’s DDR3L, 4Gbit (512MB equivalent) density, 933MHz clock (which indicates 1866 speed grade since this is DDR). This likely routes to the L3 cache interface on the SHARC, giving us the 400MB of RAM usage advertised.

NVM Storage near the Coldfire is the Kingston EMMC32G-TX29 eMMC NAND (TLC) Flash, 256Gbit (32GB). This likely stores most large program data and acts as our 20GB +Drive.

Additional NVM Storage near Coldfire is the Winbond W25Q128JVFQ, which is a QSPI NOR Flash device with 128MBit (16MB) density, 133MHz speed. Likely for program/bootROM storage

Additional slower DRAM near Coldfire is Nanya NT5TU128M8HE-AC DDR2, 1Gbit (128MB)

9 Likes

M8 tracker runs on a teensy.

No doubt with all this firepower we’re in for a treat. 16 tracks of monophonic samples is pretty impressive already.

1 Like

Whoa, good insight

2 Likes

Will use it as Midi CC LFO machine to support AR :wink:

1 Like

also very interested in the wavetable setup, must check the manual

EDIT … word ‘wavetable’ not mentioned in the manual.

So expecting this folder might be sample chains of single-cycle waveforms.

3 Likes

DT2 caused price drop in octatracks as well (not only DT), or so it seems:

Last time I checked there weren’t so many (24!) esp not Mkii and all were above 1000. But I don’t check that often.

(But 73 DT, only few offered below 500)

2 Likes

Anyone who purchased directly from Elektron get theirs yet? Just curious. Thanks!

1 Like

A Sharctotrack seems a distinct possibility

4 Likes

My OT’s not going anywhere :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m waiting for Sharctotrack II. That one is supposed to have analog fins and stereo teeth.

5 Likes

Sound quality is probably dubious though…

Can I just say, thank you Elektron! Thank you for all the goodies in this machine.

8 Likes

DT2: Befriending the new filters (by using some AR tricks) - Base drums mainly consisting of BPF resonance, LFOs modulate base frequency and other stuff, later playing around with envelopes. Headphones recommended.