Digitakt + Digitone Or OctaTrack?

thanks Ryan,

can you please explain why the A4 would be more suiteable to work together with the digitakt than the Digitone for my workflow ?

many thanks !!

First and foremost, the A4 has song mode- also it’s different (architecture I think is the right word) might compliment the DTs. With the DT every pattern is a new kit- for stuff like samples/percussion you can work with it a lot better. But for keeping the vibe of the song jelly throughout, the most musical(I consider synths to be more musical than samplers- I know they’re not inherently- that’s just how I make sense of them) you can keep the vibe of the track consistent with the A4s kit method when you switch to a new pattern, the kit you used on the last active pattern will carry over unless you have a different kit loaded, in which case it will switch to that.

It’s a trade off, but for serious/performing musicians I think it will be better.

But song mode is the big one that the DN doesn’t offer.

—(I’m going off on a tangent now, forgive me)

Also, the A4s performance macros are more purposeful. Where the DT has control all- the A4, instead, has manually programmable scenes where you can alter 5 different parameters across all tracks from a single knob. It might be the purposeful ying to the DT chaotic yang.

Also the FX in the A4 are deeper- you’ve got an extra 2 parameters per effect as well as 2 lfos for the fx track(also the fx track is sequencable- you can onboard p-lock the various fx parameters without any midi looping or workarounds.

If you dig the sound of the A4(which it’s very versatile) then that might be your best option.

Also, used mk1s are probably the cheapest Elektron offering on the market.

—

Though, if you’re just looking for song mode, I’m sure there’s some raspberry pi midi device that you can buy/build- and then you’re free to buy whatever sound source you prefer

1 Like

I completely understand your philisophy.
Instead of connecting a Digitone with the same structure as the digitakt, use the A4 architecture instead as the A4 will stay consistent in sound, vibe, so the transition will be much smoother and less dramatic.
The scenes in the A4 are also very useful !

You got me convinced !

do you know how many audio tracks you can record on the A4 ?
I just read the manual, couldn’t figure it out.

2 Likes

There are 4 analog voices which can:

• be joined to make a four voice poly
  • be used as 4 separate mono
  • any combination of poly/mono

They use voice stealing, so you could have four separate mono tracks and just have chords at specific points in your pattern.

Also there’s a 5th sub octave parameter option to assist with takibg a mono voice and making a chord out of it. You can also use tune the second oscillator to make your voice more chord-like

2 Likes

cool, so much options for the voicings ! :smiley:

last question:
since the A4 got song mode, is it possible that with midi porgram changes, you can let the digitakt follow the pattern changes from the A4 ? So you also have some kind of song mode on the digitakt ?
so inheret the song functionality to the digitakt ?

thanks again ! much appreciated

i just found a topic that it is possible to let the songmode on the monomachine control the digitakt :slight_smile:

I think that should then also be possible between the A4 and the digitakt !

1 Like

YES! All Elektron grooveboxes can follow the program changes of the other

2 Likes

I thought the A4 doesn’t do MIDI sequencing? Will it still send program change?

No midi sequencing but it’ll send pattern changes

4 Likes

Big amounts of functionallity makes me stop making music. I love my A4 (mk2), but it is also intimidating, overwhelming and sometimes not appealing

Reminds me good times :smile:

3 Likes

:joy:

If you can afford it I’d get an Octatrack to go with the Digitakt.

A synth is great to pair with either, but I’ve got fantastic synth sounds from the OT and DT. You can load up single cycle oscillators or a chain of varying osc sounds into either, use several tracks to make up chords, and resample to one track.

Both are great for beats and have different strengths. For the trap hi-hat retrig roll stuff I prefer using the knob-based approach on the OT since you can quickly live record those parameter changes (setting the retrig rate in a submenu on the DT has never been my favorite). DT has a great clear and punchy sound though, and with an LFO modulating sample slot, can get some very cool patterns.

OT can pretty much do whatever the DT can do and then some, but the DT’s workflow is my favorite in any hardware sequencer I’ve used, and I love how it sounds. OT would expand that quite a bit, and would allow some cool transition tricks as well. You could always add a synth module later, or even sample from software if you’re not opposed. You can get very far with resampling between the two.

thanks for your suggestion.
But I think the Octatrack will overwhelm me. I really like the immediacy of the Digitakt.
Someone also recommended me that if I can afford a Octatrack, that I should buy a Digitone and a A4 mkI instead. That will better suite my workflow.
I see the Octatrack more of a hardware DAW, but I am more into live perfomance.

However, I completely understand your philosophy !
much appreciated
:upside_down_face::v:

4 Likes

Fair enough! I find the “OT is overly complex” consensus to be overblown, and view it much more as an instrument than a DAW substitute (and an amazing instrument for live performance), but I wouldn’t want to suggest it and have it not be what you want. You won’t go wrong with either A4 or Digitone!

3 Likes

Buy them all. Sell the ones you don’t like or can’t jive with. Electron stuff holds value quite well. Or buy one and master it frontwards , backwards, upside down. Then go for the next bit. You can’t go wrong with any of them. I’ve seen people use every combination effectively. Unless you don’t know what direction you’re headed or what type of electronic music you’re after. But it sounds like you do. OT+DT=insanity. Sane people are boring. Jump in the deep end and learn to swim :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Octatrack vs other boxes
I think that’s where the Men are separated from the boys :sunglasses:

but you are right, I’m gonna learn the digitakt back to forth.
I think I will need a A4 or digitone either way.
although I have 1 gig of superb trap samples, I have to make my own sounds to stand out.

@LaughingAnimal : I believe you that it is an amazing instrument. I just have to take the leap of faith :slight_smile:

Sounds good. Regarding the opening issue in your first post, that you just need more tracks: use layered sounds or chains with several layering combos instead of plain sample library one-shots… all fine, no need to buy anything (of course, buying gear is fun though).

P.S. OT is like a DAW? No way :grin: getting so much immediate and 100% knob/fader-controllable craziness is very difficult to achieve ITB, but makes no sense to discuss this further in this thread. Peace :v:

I’m always amazed at what people can create with the right instrument and skill level. Having 8, 12, or 16 audio tracks (+midi tracks) is great but I rarely need them all for each track/pattern. Less is more ya know. The key thing about having 2 elektron boxes is the ability to have them change patterns in perfect synchronicity. It adds new dimensions to the music and lets you focus in on each of their strengths as the track progresses.

1 Like