MonoMachine + Digitakt : Song Mode

Hello,

The two pieces of Elektron gear I own are the MonoMachine (mkII no +drive) & the Digitakt.

I am thinking of just plugging the Digitakt’s stereo out into the “IMP AB” stereo input of the MonoMachine. So, that would cost me one machine/track.

I would like to:

Use the MonoMachine’s song mode to control the Digitakt through songs.

Send the Digitakt’s midi tracks to the MonoMachine.

Send the MonoMachine’s midi tracks/arp to other outboard gear.

I think this should all be doable. Is this doable?

Thank you.

ie

1 Like

Totally

3 Likes

Not to get too intimate, but if the two Elektron devices are occupying each other’s midi in/outs, I can’t figure out how to get the MonoMachine’s midi tracks out to other gear.

I must need some sort of midi hub/splitter thing.

But that can wait, pairing the two will keep me busy.

The midi thru of the dt will pass along the Monomachine midi and vice verse.
Or a midi splitter to split the Monomachine signal.

1 Like

ah ok!

So, just send the program change info to the Digitakt (for the song mode), but pass everything else through the midi through. to go to the outboard gear. That makes sense.

Thank you everyone, for your input and observations.

Tonight I am reading the “MIDI config” part of the Digitakt manual (page 60-62), and the “Control” part of the MonoMachine manual (page 89-93).

As far as MonoMachine routing goes, I am thinking:

Track 01: GND (NOISE) > MIX A/B

Track 02: SID (6581)> MIX A/B

Track 03: various machines > MIX A/B

Track 04: FX (DYNAMIX) > MIX C/D (routed back to A/B)

Track 05: various machines > MIX E/F

Track 06: THRU (Digitakt) > MIX A/B

• Tracks 01 through 03 can go to the DYNAMIX effect, if desired.

• Track 05 goes out (E/F) to a Lexicon MPX-1, I want to control the Lexicon with some of the MonoMachine’s midi tracks. The MPX-1 can also spit out midi too, like a random number generator and other stuff. This could all get wicked complicated.

general advice , keep it simple , if you are going to perform , try to do most of it from one box an leave the others alone when you can.

and maybe think about if you want to record it all , and how many separate channels you might want (e .g digitakt , fx , multiple monomachines). for later polish.
you could if needed use digitakt lfo / random out to sequence lexicon via midi/cc as its got a little more grunt/options midi wise … just leave it playing a long slow pattern tweaking the lexicon .
and feed DT into monomachine via cc to get more / easier to access parameter locks that can be sequenced in different time signatures to any melodies from monomachine.