Digitakt available for pre-ordering

would be stoopid if they are not releasing that option!!
but I think they will! iam realising that the midi machines are based on the sample slot and I hope you can switch on all 12 rytm tracks between a sample or midi machine!
MIDI out would move the DT to the right position because the Big Rytm can do 12 vs 8 midi tracks + analog engine! raising the price of the rytm and everything’s cool.

yeah we’ll see… personally I doubt they’ll unlock this

I remember everyone hating on the Toraiz initial features/price on this forum, comparing it to elektron. Ironic that it looks like its Elektron to then bring out a piece of hardware that kinda validates the Toraiz price tag/feature ratio in comparison…

Toraiz is not bad AT ALL…
(not what I’m after but sounds good to me)

i replied a bit off-topic… but heh…

I’m talking about the initial feature set. Think most people on here were very underwhelmed iirc…

1 Like

@Olle @Ess can you clarify what it means that the OB Basic Highlights for the DT mention that you get “MIDI over USB”?

The OB descriptions for the other machines don’t mention that, and this point makes it look like the DT does not implement MIDI USB class compliance.

Which would mean, no MIDI with iOS devices, for example. thanks

5 Likes

Very true indeed. I’m simply trying to rationalize the situation.

Personally I’ve always looked up towards Elektron as they are the only brand that totally gets me, yes I run after gear sometimes, thought that is only because I feel connected to the machines. They help me express, create and share content that cannot be put into words.

From all the gear I own I feel the strongest connection to my Elektrons. As an industrial designer myself I’m fascinated by effort put into their instruments, its the apple of the music scene.

So yeah you are right, its my fault for getting so involved into all the synth kind of stuff, though I believe that if Elektron wants to move froward as a music instrument manufacturing company they should first and foremost listen and communicate with the end users.

I want to point out that I’m not trying to spit venom and I am not angry. Imo, Elektron took a blow in the most vital organ that made them what they are, the trust and royalty of the users behind their products.

Also, I might be wrong haha. who knows

4 Likes

Considering the vague/incomplete product information, I’m surprised these are available for pre-order. I’m certain there are some people who will jump right on it, but from a customer service perspective I’d be inclined to give as much information as possible on the front end to avoid an avalanche of “I thought it would do _____” forum rants and support tickets.

I’d love to know more more about the sample manager/librarian feature of the upcoming OB Basic. I use @void’s SDS drop for the AR and it’s magic, but it would be amazing if there was a proper librarian with 2-way communication for managing folders, moving files, etc.

4 Likes

Other than a Circuit really does fall into the category of genuinely affordable, and completely portable.

1 Like

You are actually wrong about this one. There are obstacles making this really really difficult(not impossible). This is by no means a business decision.

I love you stuff and know how much knowledge you have about the units, but please stop this. It might be implemented if we succeed but we are not holding back because it will interfere with other products or sales.

15 Likes

I’d put money on that being an entry better placed in Digitakt Highlights, ‘MIDI over USB’ as the world reads it is distinct from the MIDI activity through OB … so I cannot see that it would require further software to be class compliant … it will 100% be class compliant MIDI over USB, but yeah, phrased unfortunately and open to this exact misunderstanding … fear not

1 Like

I will work as it works now. No changes.

3 Likes

thanks Olle - I don’t mean to diss. clear statements like that help a lot in mitigating speculation. The latest announcements just kind of triggered a sense of impending total OB lockdown and strange business decisions…

5 Likes

I believe that the DT as a product itself, and the OB Premium scheme are doing exactly that.

• Users have repeatedly asked for an Elektron sampler that is more immediate than the OT: DT

• Users have repeatedly asked for an Elektron sequencer with MIDI output that has the probability and fills of the AR/A4: DT

• Users have repeatedly asked for an Elektron instrument that is at a lower price point: DT

• Users that have no use for Overbridge, but are paying for the feature in the AR/A4/AH, and are wanting their product at a lower price: DT

DT isn’t for everyone, but it IS a response to what many have asked loudly for over the past few years.

Trying to be objective in a dense thread of subjectivity.

21 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I admit I might be a bit short sighted due to the price change&OB situation.

Maybe product teases and revealings aren’t for me hehe.

I also admit that all the questions have led to some negative speculation. Besides that, the price raising thing in combination with the ob premium stuff, it simply doesnt send a good message.

I’ll leave it with that, thanks for your input:)

But that’s not because we reply to “you” that our answers is restrictively for you… also we hit no-one in particular. just React differently.

Haha, yeah DT is exactly what people had in mind when they requested all those things you highlighted :wink:

Surely Elektron aren’t so naive that can claim in honesty that this box is their kind-hearted ‘lets give the customers what they want’ attempt at answering those requests… I’m surprised anyone would see it that way tbh. Nonsense…

3 Likes

Nonsense? Thanks.

Just sayin its impossible to ‘try to be objective’ as you were doing, whilst referencing people’s wishlists, which are subjective in the fact that everyone probably had their own idea of how these things would be implemented. And I doubt anyone was picturing them being in a box that has less features than any before it :wink:

A wise man recently shared with me the wisdom to not take it personally if certain people talk nonsense in response to factual information.

I’m taking a walk.

Enjoy your day!

8 Likes