Digitakt available for pre-ordering

I feel like I’ve earned it, if nothing else :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems to me DT will be a really nice, easy going/streamlined experience where OT could be viewed as overkill for drum work and often goes too deep into the hole for simple percussion.
I see em as companions, DT for Percs n Short impulses and OT for everything els (like resampling and twisting up DT into long stereo samples, then maybe resample small nuggets back n see what happens)
Im actually surprised they chose to include midi sequencing since OT does it.

2 Likes

maybe the MIDI is here because they will release a complimentary digital drum synth box with no sequencer? (seems a bad idea anyway, lacking pLocking of synth parameters…)

1 Like

Yeah I think they will expand this line. I actually love the form factor. Seems they missed a trick not offering full portable battery power as it seems that’s the next step with smaller gear. But I guess this isn’t there intention.

Yeah I can see it’s uses. Just not in to that price in comparison to alternatives :confused:

I think @Ess mentioned that the long process of programming midi out for the analog line needs time and expertise because it’s another structure and such…iam going to think that work led elektron to the Digitakt as a Sidekick of that process!

think about that. it looks not so special but if this is the update plan for the analog line it will lift elektron miles away in their premium range.

they haven’t put a lot of effort into the DT engine.
it’s the pure sample thing from RYTM copied and paired with midi out.

:v:

it’s funny thought, we have no stock option, just an elektronauts login, the DT is not released for now and we review AIR… like AIR journalist :slight_smile:

No offense but it’s interesting, when I think to it : How people react. (I’m in bad private period, no comment, maybe that’s why…) Something pleased me I buy it, something don’t i pass… sounds like a waste of time to me to criticize because that’s introductory price product. They said they will keep Big machine (1500euro) and introductory box (750euro), half the price so not the power and functionality of their Big Machines… that’s make sense. People who need power will buy big machine, we are not the target on that one. Which wasn’t the case with the Analog Heat. And if they release more OB Effects box I will probably be interested.

Now I wait to discover their new big machine. I’m sure as the Rytm Announcement we’ll like it. They can’t release a big machine every year. As the RYTM is 2014… I’m sure something will coming this year or in 2018…
Patience everyone :wink:

(maybe I’m not in the mood I don’t know so… I will continu to help people who need help… and share some tools) I think that’s the only thing pleased me here. Help people and give them faith (if they require it or need it)

4 Likes

This system/thinking works OK if the rest of the hardware world/competition wasn’t progressing and pricing their hardware in parralel with tech advancement etc… But that isn’t the case. Everyone else is moving forward and cramming modern features/spec(mpc live). Or keeping prices low (es2).

If digitakt came out same time as OT then fair enough, half(ish) the functionality, half the price… But the rest of the market has moved on with new hardware since OT. There are alternatives now. Doesn’t really balance out in today’s market now to be expected to pay that much for (the boring) half of an OT.

They should have just focused on an OT2 style powerhouse, then made the digitakt style ‘half of that’ box of that… Instead of doing that kind of function/price calculation against an old unit…

3 Likes

I call BS on that midi-out-is-difficult thing tbh.

Think about it:

• the devices send midi events just fine when you press pads/keyboard/whatever. The devices know how to emit midi events.
  • the sequencer schedules events for the internal sound engine. These events are very much like MIDI note on/off messages.

Pressing a pad on the Rytm, for example, creates an event which triggers both the internal engine, and sends a midi event. Releasing the pad does the same.

Now, literally all you would need to do to have the sequencer send MIDI notes, is draw a line on the whiteboard from the sequencer event scheduler not only to the internal sound engine, but also to the midi event dispatcher. dev-time wise, a basic, reliable and working implementation would at the most maybe take one day to develop, I would guess.

It’s just that they didn’t want to do it, and it’s becoming more and more clear why.

11 Likes

I guess if it does turn out to be “overpriced” the used market will reflect this as nobody will want to pay “that” much. Time will tell but lktrn are no strangers to surprising people … with both pos and neg consequences amongst this small user forum…

Could it be the new hardware (pots, encoders etc) is going to cost a little more than there old boxes so it may seem you get a little less on paper?!

I do tend to think when these price over value arguments come out that if elektron was still a tiny boutique company people would think the price worth it because it’s cool n shit… : ) but now you can buy em in Dawson’s, there more easily compared to the major brands.

2 Likes

Personally wasn’t much interested in this when it was originally announced, although I wanted to wait for more info and for the inevitable Cenk(or whoever) proper demo video.

The more info that’s been teased, the less I have been interested, however I’ve still been holding out for that awesome demo video that’s going to make me go ‘oh wow, that’s what it can do’

With the latest information, the two tier OB and no sign of that video I’m going to stick with my plans to incorporate an AR into my setup.

No loss for Elektron as they still get my cash, but I can’t help but wonder if this means a more ‘Roland’ approach to the business.

Either way these will sell by the bucket load and will have a fiercely loyal following, and a troupe of equally fiercely hating members of the community.

2 Likes

The Digitakt = Agreed
The Heat = Can’t live without it

1 Like

Does pre order charge your credit card right away. Or do you get charged when it actually ships?

Maybe it’s not so easy to be INNOVATIVE for decades.
To me they did a great job at it… I have the feeling they done something each time. Maybe not the same target, maybe tried to be innovative for hybrid folks … open up the customers base.

So elektron you will always have “haters” this is the problem of the internet but I am sure that you lead well the boat … do not forget the firmware updates of your old customers … and made us A new big machine that calm down everyone.

1 Like

charge your credit card right away (it’s what I think I may have wrong)
Open up a ticket : ordering question I guess :wink:

Straight away

1 Like

The more I think about it, the more I think I’d rather pay a bit more cash to get a second hand OT to compliment my OT… and wait for the DigiWave ah ah!

2 Likes

I think its not about the product not about any specs, not about the hardware, not about the software, not even about the pricing.

It’s about how we are kept in the dark regarding certain crucial bits of info while twisting the little info they gave.

Look at the heat, as far as I’m aware some users have and unused heat in the corner of their room because they bought it with the idea that it was an audio interface. Few months later, no overbridge, if you are ITB i can assure you its quite a bummer.

Now this, Digitakt, awesome piece of kit, 650 retail price, overbridge compatible, which is awesome. After that, no info, only selected answers are given and that too is oke, as long as you communicate. Tell us you dont know, tell us it takes time, but dont come out of the blue with a video that stated what we already know and bump up the price an cripple the finctionality.

Even the DT lite is more than what we’ve been told.

If this is how you treat the forums full of loving customers than you should really start scratching your head imo.

With all due respect ofcourse:)

1 Like

to me it seems the DT is the Elektron style version of a device like a Novation Circuit… and being in the :3lektron: style, its far more utilitarian and open ended, but in the same vein as a Circuit concept its very focused on basic tasks and has a “stripped down” kind of perspective… unlike all the previous devices, it doesnt do tons of different things at once, its very simplified

only time will tell what this means in context… im wondering if its meant as a kind of “gateway drug” to the elektron world, or if its the start of a new category in the same old vein of separate devices that work together - in other words, once more devices come along there should be a clearer picture of whats happening overall

i do have to admit it reminds me of the computer games market to a certain extent… in the early days many pc games were extremely complicated with lots of strange features and all of them were mostly marketed to computer people (or nerds for lack of a better word)… but as time went on and the market expanded and gaming consoles become more successful, computer games became more and more catered to a general crowd, features were “streamlined” (or “dumbed down”… depending on your perspective) and there was a lot more focus on “accessibility” than ever before… it was not necessarily a “good” thing or a “bad” thing, inherently - but it certainly was a different thing than before. of course, subjectively it is often judged “good” or “bad” according to a particular person’s perspective, but thats always going to happen

1 Like

[quote=“Alume, post:121, topic:37390”]
I think its not about the product not about any specs, not about the hardware, not about the software, not even about the pricing. [/quote]

Good summary… you probably right here

It’s about how we are kept in the dark regarding certain crucial bits of info while twisting the little info they gave.

But not sure after that second sentence. the dark of what ? is your life depend of it ? (With all due respect too)
To me is all the amount of time loosing to speaking, criticize, buy new gear (on top of huge gear already bought), sold gear, buy other gear, etc…

is time spend wrongly rather than making music… and then people are angry and spread venom again (don’t run after gear who make music automatically or by themselves… that’s one not existing, the perfect gear don’t exist too and you find it then buy it !!! and then make music !!! ).
it’s not what’s wrong with elektron it’s what’s wrong with us… (and yeah I put myself in the bag…)

2 Likes