Digitakt available for pre-ordering

I think some people are over reacting. This is a pretty sweet box, well priced with a ton of functionality. I don’t know why people are comparing it to an MPC? If anyone here knows how to work on an elektron then you are wired for it’s user experience. If I did not own an OCTA I’m sure I’d jump onto this box and I’m positive I’d be very happy with it’s performance and what I would get out of it.

Now the question I do have and maybe this was already answered. Is the file structure like the OCTA? Meaning can kits be interchangeable between the two?

I don’t think there are kits.

No kits on the octa either

@123alastairj is correct. Overbridge for the current Analog products will remain free of charge

1 Like

Hmm, sounds like the decision to charge for Overbridge means Elektron consider the tech mature and reliable by now. My general impression is that there is still a lot of users with problems. That might just be that those are the few (?) people posting about OB. In either case, a paying OB user really should expect a rock solid product. If it isn’t, Elektron’s reputation would quickly start to take a dive, I guess…

Sounds risky to me. Some years ago I was a “fanboy” through and through and had blind faith in whatever Elektron was doing. Probably nearly impossible for any company to sustain that kind of loyalty over time, but I must admit that I’m worried they have lost their way a bit and now fall between two chairs so to speak. Not a boutique brand with a “cult following” anymore, nor a big household name that sell tons of units to the masses. But of course, I don’t know anything about marketing or branding! I’m just curious where they’re heading. The Dr. Frankensteins of the magical Octatrack will always have a special place in my heart, so I hope they will continue to do well and both the DT and OB to be successes.

1 Like

I have two questions.

1. Can you use stereo samples(L/R) or only mono(I know that you can PAN them but this is not stereso sample)?

2. Does it time stretch? Why keep avoiding this question? If you can preorder it you probably know the final specs?

IMHO this are not hard questions.

1 Like

Yeah bugging me too that Elektron dudes only chime in on selective aspects of info. Seems kinda shady from what they choose to share/not share… Timestreching, internal resampling, slicing, performance options(macros, snapshots/scenes kinda stuff)… These are basic questions and the unit is up for pre-order now so what gives? Are these features onboard?

3 Likes

From the FB convo…

“Sorry to have to disappoint you but no time-strech or loop slicing. Digitakt’s main purpose is as a drum machine, for more advanced sampler functionality the Octatrack is more suitable”

Seems they have their press folks answering over there rather than here…

6 Likes

From what I’ve gathered… It’s like the Rytm… without analog voices and with midi sequencing… So mono samples! And timestretching? Perhaps via some smart LFO trick just like on the Rytm :wink:

I am sure Elektron will eventually reveal some more… Like now would be a good time since you can pre-order, right?

Or perhaps we’ll see another teaser with flying bolts later today… How much I like the style of these teasers… I rather see a ‘Cenk going all in’ demo before I would even consider pre-ordering this.

2 Likes

WIth you here.
I only own one Elektron box - the Analog Four.
I lust over all their big boxes OT, MM, MD, RYTM. Each one of them is stand-out in the field.

The Heat and Digitakt though, I don’t feel any excitement or desire for these new boxes.
:frowning:

3 Likes

Wow! Really? What a let down…
2 things bug me about this. First, there are tons of samplers out there that can do these basic things. And, my first (and looking like my last) machine I bought from Elektron was the rytm. While I do like it, I really expected it to have some basic outboard sequencing. Even if only gate like the a4. But no. And now this box that costs less than half what the rytm costs has midi tracks.

This combined with the Hollywood trailer style releases of late has really turned me away from the company right now.

What’s weird is this company has a large fan base who all have stated that they want one of 2 or 3 things. I mean we all either want an MD3, a OT2 or an efx/sequence box. And yet E decides to go a complete different direction. Plus we’re all hardware geeks. I’d bet very few ppl are overly taken by the software thing.
I just don’t get it.

3 Likes

i was never really interested in the DT anyway, but i think it’s pretty lousy that details are being withheld. what’s the point of that?

4 Likes

None of this promo material offers any useful information at all. No info about the synth engines, machine types, sample editing/playback or whether the midi out tracks will allow polyphony and probability.

There are no synth engines. It’s sample based only.

1 Like

For real? NONE of those features? Like adding them would have made it a worse drum machine or something? Tbh seems like a pretty weird/unnecessary/lacklustre product to make and sell for £700+ in 2017…

Cant see many new Elektron customers from this, if that was the plan… not much here to tempt kids away from computer/Push2/Maschine… Or even an ipad.

1 Like

I’m in the same situation, with just an A4 at present and in general feel the same - though the Heat does look loads of fun.

Ha You’re right and that’s my fault I meant the sound packs when I said kit. But based on what another user stated no timestretch and so on, that clarifies a lot.

1 Like

All publicity is publicity good or bad, and tbf we will
Probably all at least try one at some point… then either keep it or move it on for the next thing. It’s healthy there’s so much competition and that’s why I think people keep there cards close to there chest and maybe push back for further necessary refinement.

I’m pretty sure elektron know what there doing better than us mortal few tho… otherwise we’d be designing the instruments ourselves. x

Yeah, maybe more than half the functions on my OT will break at some point, that would be pretty similar to trying one I guess :wink:

1 Like

Boom. Got one on pre-order now. I just have a feeling I’m gonna love this little dude.

4 Likes

I hope your trust will be rewarded!