Digitakt available for pre-ordering

anyone here gonna pre-order?

At the original price I was going to but im not gonna any more, just curious how many people are.

I just read the differences again between the basic and premium versions of OB, and this jumped out at me:

ā€¢Audio streaming of Main outs over USB (time limited sessions)

So, waitā€¦not only is OB limited to only the main outputs on the basic version, but it is has time limited functionality as well?

Get the fuck outta here. Seriously. Iā€™m actually a bit angry about the whole thing. Maybe I shouldnā€™t be, but I am. Elektron were smart to create OB as their new unique product, because the killer feature that helped to sell the pre-OB units (i.e. p-lockable sequencing) isnā€™t quite so unique these days (for example, Ableton Push and Novation Circuit have step automation as well), so having a new flagship feature like Overbridge is a smart way for them to stay ahead of the pack. Butā€¦can you imagine if they pulled this same shit with the other machines? What if the sequencer was time limited and locked up after an hour, unless you decided to ā€œupgradeā€?

What a crock of shit.

19 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen, a gentle reminder, we have guidelines to make the forum welcoming to all ā€¦ all opinions are welcome too, of course, but youā€™re asked to disagree agreeably to keep the vibe genial even when being critical

8 Likes

Iā€™ve preordered. Currently my drum machine is a tr8 and digitakt will supplement/replace that. Previously I had a Rytm but I didnā€™t gel with it as I felt it was too complex - I also pretty much used samples exclusively so the analog synthesis portion was wasted on me. It looks like the digitakt will be a nice balance of flexibility/complexity and immediacy (hopefully!). I love the elektron sequencer and so having this married to sampling capabilities will be perfect for me.

2 Likes

Just voice your discontent with your wallet. I donā€™t think these new machines make sense to most of their older customer base. And thatā€™s fine, they are widening their customer base, that is all.

They are targeting this more for computer people, hence the multi outs via USB. Canā€™t say I see this working greatly as my experience with OB was never that great and the inability to even push all the tracks out of my A4 makes me apprehensive about the whole OB paradigm.

Asking people to pay extra will make users extra angry when things donā€™t workā€¦ even more than what happens with current OB boxes. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I will, trust me. Iā€™ve been thinking about ordering one since it was announced, but now my wallet is sitting snugly in my pocket and will remain there until another company comes along with a better option.

2 Likes

Yeah but somehow itā€™s working great for a lot of people and not for someā€¦ so I guess the computer take a part also in the ā€œworkingā€ state with Overbridge :wink: (Usb chipset, how many device already connected, etcā€¦) Do Elektron is responsible for the computer part ? I donā€™t think so ā€¦ Do Elektron is responsible for people to not find how to set it properly ? probably not tooā€¦ (I donā€™t say you donā€™t know how to set it up)

Also, if the computer had 10 years old, people cannot complain about OB to not working great. A computer life is 2-4 years after that you canā€™t complain about anything. Gamers know that with graphic card and new released game title ā€¦ you canā€™t run at Maximum definition with older graphic card thatā€™s more or less the same.

I notice that the OB Premium lists 8 tracks at 24bit.
This makes me wonder if the DT OB runs at USB 2.0, instead of the lower bandwidth negotiated USB 1.1 that the analog series required because of noise issues.

1 Like

Oh I didnā€™t know about the noise issues. Really, 1.1? That would explain the limitationsā€¦ I guess weā€™ve only seen the OB beta so far :wink:

Same here. I have a Rytm so the drum sample portion of Digitakt was redundant but I could see using it sometimes. I was mostly excited to have the midi sequencer, but not at this price.

1 Like

Donā€™t expect the analog series to ever move up to USB 2.0
These issues are inherent to the specification of the bus standard.

I just find it interesting as this is the first digital OB device from Elektron. I imagine the capabilities and limitations of a digital OB mixer/DAW interface in the future.

2 Likes

This is a really hard thing to do. Some tried and never managed to do it, like access. UAD does it but using different interfaces, depending on platform. Only time and user feedback will make the software work for more and more people.

It will never work flawlessly for everyone.

You mean like the many digital mixers out there? Their only novelty here is pushing audio through a plugin controlling analog path outside the computerā€¦ the digitak is effectively what UAD does.

Not at all.
I mean something Elektron. With sequencing / p-locks / trig conditions.

But I donā€™t want to get off topic.

USB 2.0 OB.
Neat.

In fact, given that it is a full digital machine they could run a digitak plugin in your daw controlled by your hardware. It would sound the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this totally does it for me. Nothing says ā€œartificially crippled functionalityā€ like an arbitrary time limitation on a software feature. Itā€™s just like using a software VST in demo mode, only it will cost 650ā‚¬+ to get to that experience from a hardware unit.

Elektron, please reconsider, this is totally going in the wrong direction.

Best,

K

14 Likes

I think simplicity is the right direction for elektron. Digitakt is pretty simple i think

I bet Elektron didnā€™t expect that kind of reaction from the users. :smiley:

4 Likes

Waiting for the Post ordering videos and the manualā€¦

Having a pre-order option before consumers have even heard/seen the Digi in action is just ludicrous. I get the point of being strategic with dropping info but this move really makes me feel Elektron is riding the ego horse.

6 Likes