Digitakt as "the brain" to your setup

I have just a few too many sources to use the OT without a small mixer to manage everything before it hits the OT. I use an A&H zed10 for this, cheap and fairly small. Then main out’s to my monitors and cue outs back into my computer for anything I might need to record / checking tuning. I use a thru track on track 4 that I manually start with by hitting the T4 button and play - avoids the necessity of any trigs on that track.

Some might say I’m sacrificing some audio quality by routing everything through my OT - imo the setup is too fun to worry about some marginal loss in audio quality.

Nothing can beat the OT as the brains for your setup for live sampling and transitions, not to mention sequencing. Unless the DT has some tricks that haven’t been seen yet.

2 Likes

Lying awake at night, thinking of the best ways to utilise my soon to be, ‘new brain’

2 Likes

I want to use it for sequencing Ableton…i hope the digital workflow will make it an awesome hardware sequencer.

1 Like

For sure.

My setup is centered around a modular with a couple complimentary pieces (an “original” MD and a Minilogue, and soon a DT). I definitely plan on sequencing the Minilogue and modular from the DT’s MIDI tracks. I wasn’t convinced about the DT until I saw how easy the sampling system is, then I began thinking about how much I’d like to get the modern Elektron sequencer in here. Looks like it’ll be the perfect hub for my setup. I’d been leaning toward the MPC Live, but I trust Elektron more than Akai…

I tried doing this with the OT but the workflow was too elaborate for my stupid brain to retain from session to session. I’m hoping the DT’s MIDI system will allow us to set things up so it can be seamlessly integrated into the studio.

1 Like

Similar story here. I’m really hoping DT complements a medium sized modular and other synths set-up well… and I also trust elektron to hit what I’m looking for more closely than akai.

One thing I am really hoping for is for flexible sync and some options for clocking and routing between the midi out and thru ports. Ideally I’d like different clocks out on each as well as the ability to put some tracks onto the midi through port. I’ll have midi - cv converters to feed!

John

1 Like

Thanks @udenjoe . good advice.

I’ve come to same conclusion…

1 Like

I have this cable but I haven’t really used it or the Volca much after trying it out.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve heard that too. I haven’t had any audio quality issues after running the OT’s outputs into preamps.

I am also not one of those people who expects a sampler to add “color” to the sound :wink:

4 Likes

Very excited for my Digitakt to arrive…
Planning to use it as a Midi sequencer for my Eurorack modular system together with drum samples. I have two midi to CV converters in my system that I want to feed with the MIDI out from the Digitakt. I have a MIDI Thru box with 1in-4out so I believe I can send 1 midi cable from the Digitakt to the thru box and get 4 different MIDI channels out to send to my modular and maybe to other gear in the future.
I’m also very curious how the midi sequencing works and if its possible to make melodies using the chromatic mode for the MIDI tracks.

The Digitakt will be a centerpiece in my setup, I would like it to be the only tool I need on deck. Just connect to a preamp and monitors sampling off turntable, CD player and Casio keyboard. I’m content.

1 Like

I hope so. I really want to see some midi demos!

1 Like

It will be replacing my current hub, which is a Zaquencer. It will also be replacing my SP-555, which means my footprint for the two previous machines will be cut in half.

I don’t yet need the 4 extra midi voices that the Digitakt will provide, but it’s nice to have them for them in queue for future machines. For now I will be controlling a Reface DX, a Monologue, a Micron, and (hopefully soon) an NF-1m.

same here >:)

1 Like

If you want DT as the brain, you might want a song mode. I had this idea :

Plug DT midi Out to its midi In, and send Program Changes just at the end of a midi track, in order to change patterns and make a song or pattern chain. :content:
Should work, isn’t it?

2 Likes

This was discussed in the main DT thread as a “fake song mode”

just make sure to use p-locked trig that is micro timed on the last step all the way to the right.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I missed posts in the huge thread ! :grin:

2 Likes

Meh, that thread is out of control.

5 Likes

This thread should be kept separate from other one. It’s messy and difficult to fish for information on this product amidst all the chatter on the other thread. This one is cleaner.

1 Like

Well now that we have a manual, most questions will be answered there.

But yea. Hot Mess Express.
:grin:

Back on topic, I think one of the best ways to use DT will be as a master MIDI brain for other gear. Lack of song mode, not withstanding.

Combined with the sampling and resampling capability. It’s a simplified OT with Rytm’s sequencer and MD’s CTRL ALL trickery.

Lack of compressor takes it out of contention for my biggest desire (all in one sample based sofa jammer). But hopefully that will come in an update (master mixer).
Otherwise, I don’t have a mess of MIDI gear to “brain” with DT. But if I did, I would have preordered batch#1

4 Likes