Digitakt as "the brain" to your setup

Hey there!

I know that this is a hard question to answer before more details are released around the midi tracks/capabilities of DK but was interested in people’s thoughts either way.

I preordered a DK with the thought that it could be the brain of my hardware setup. The DK would sequence drum and vocal samples directly and control those…but also via midi sequencing it would trigger leads and Bass tracks via external hardware (in my case an A4, shruthi or Anushri).

Does that setup make sense? If DK owns all “notes” and “patterns” will it be hard to change synth patches remotely to play other sounds?

1 Like

yep, digitakt is gonna be the heart of my setup. use it as my midi sequence hub, feed it with sample material at the same time, record midi into audio and have my completed tracks all in 1 box for live and recording jams.
can’t. fuking. wait :slight_smile:

it’ll be an amazing midi sequencer hub for your gear. dunno if it can send program changes. anyone know?

4 Likes

Digitakt will never be a better brains than an OT in my opinion. With the OT I run it after my small mixer using a thru track. All the audio in my studio goes through the OT before my monitors. The digi will never replace the OT for something like this because you can’t run a stereo track through the digi.

1 Like

@awendt701 - seems you are using OT for something different than I’m talking about. You are using it for processing final signal before it hits the monitors. Not as the central sequencer, yes?

1 Like

@pidgeo yes! Exactly what I’m thinking.

When you are thinking about midi sequencing external gear (like the A4) from the Digitakt will you run the patterns on the DK (the individual midi notes) --> external hardware OR do you see the DK triggering patterns that live on the external hardware (i.e. DK --> A4 play this bank / pattern, now play this one)

Both. It’s the central sequencer and I can always sample and mangle the output of any part of my studio.

3 Likes

I was planning to just sync my A4 to DT and have A4 sequence it’s own material but I’ve sold my A4 now so any midi gear I will sequence on the DT. it’s got a killer midi sequencer, poly, trig conditions etc so I’ll be using it for pretty much everything.
I also love having 1 box doing everything, keeps things simple in my brain. I love things being neat :ok_hand:
but there’s no reason why you can’t do either, or both. whatever works for you. A4 sequencer is the same as DT basically.

2 Likes

Plan to pair it with a multitimbral synth like a Nord A1 or Virus C for a nice compact and powerful set up.

4 Likes

For those with lots of MIDI gear to sequence, I imagine that DT will be a great brain.
8 MIDI tracks gives a lot of possibilities, especially for Nord Drum 2 owners.
OT Lite is an apt moniker.

The biggest thing that remains to be seen is how the new Kit-less scheme will function.
On other Elektrons, I generally work on a “tune” as a single kit, with a block of 4 patterns. I often work on changing the sound of the Kit while I am working in those various 4 patterns, going back and forth between parameter changes and notation. I rely on the kit system to apply parameter changes I make while in Pattern A1 to the same sounds (kit) I am using in Patterns A2, A3, and A4.
I hope that whatever simplified scheme they develop isn’t too limiting for those of us who work in such a manner. Hopefully they can retain simplicity without sacrificing the powerful workflow that may be lost without Kits. Maybe it will be as simple as a “parameter link” between blocks of patterns.

This functionality is vital for a “hub” device, where every other MIDI slave device relies on the position of parameters.

4 Likes

Bingo!

4 Likes

I’m thinking it might be useful to me as the hub of a small rig, sequencing other small boxes - in my case a Volca FM, Volca Keys, maybe even my OP-1 if the USB-MIDI implementation includes USB hosting.

I think one thing that we didn’t find out, that is rather important, is how the kitless architecture works when hanging patterns. For example, from memory we were told there’s no kits and everything is saved with the pattern, I think?

Does that mean that switching pattern will bring all track parameters to that previously saved in the pattern, regardless of changes that have been made on the fly?

I suppose ideally, chain mode should allow the user to choose whether it’s only note/sequence data that changes on pattern switch or if the whole lot should change. But however this works, this is not a deal breaker for me, but it would change how I would work with DT in some situations.

Did anyone notice, is it easy to copy one track from one pattern to another?

So many questions. And I can’t wait to see the midi sequencer.

I am very excited for this box which I see as being a very nice addition to my rig.

John

Will the DT control midi to iPad via USB?

Dude. The BPM being saved per pattern makes the DT an awesome brain if you’ve got other groove boxes/Elektrons. send that to your other units

5 Likes

A good point actually. Was one thing that annoyed me a little with the OT when I had it. Will come in handy when slaving other boxes off it.

The analog boxes can hook up to an iPad with the help of an adapter called the camera connection kit or camera adapter made by Apple, DT should be the same.

1 Like

My thoughts about the Digi captured on Video. Enjoy :wink:

4 Likes

I have found from experience with the OT, if the “slave” boxes have a good sequencer, use that sequencer. Shruthi is an exception because the sequencer isn’t so fun. I think using the device’s sequencer makes it easier. You just have to manage how to track the pattern you’ll play on something non-Elektron. Elektron stuff handles the program changes quite well. Otherwise, classic non sequencer synths make sense to sequence in the DT. Some drum machines like the volcas may make sense to sequence in the DT but keep in mind the Volca Sample uses several midi channels rather than notes. It can depend on the midi implementation.

2 Likes

There’s a cable available that fixes that and puts everything on one midi channel :slight_smile: I keep meaning to buy it… Cant remember what it’s called right now :confused:

2 Likes

I use my OT as a mixer but I never thought of putting a mixer before it. Great idea.