CV in controller for ARmkII A4mkII AH?

it’s what i had in mind when fielding this query (a key part of desired functionality) - more of a complicated affair than 2 knobs, but essentially selectable/switchable pots (with switches) to get some ‘preset’ voltages all powered by TRS - as with all projects it takes a backseat to thinking about it though the concept is clear and simple for a novice like me - it’s just about getting the minimum order together typically … always tomorrow !

Ok, what exactly do you want to do? CD4066 is a quad bilateral switch, you could power it from the 5v present on the ring, then it is just a case of wiring it up to switch how you want, might need some other logic circuitry depending on the requirements of your project.

i just need a way to use a SPST like a SPDT, i’m hazy on the exact layout, but the component i found ticks the box perfectly - it would also be requiring some other switches to toggle between pot 1 and pot 2 and a tap switch to kill, it seemed like a nice way to add functionality that would be playable, one pot being finetuned to a sweetspot the other being regular - some of teh idea is predicated on stuff i have lying around (non locking switches) - as i recall it it was just nifty switching, no components needed except one to specifically offer the behaviour above- i’ll need to find the sketch !

I think I remember seeing a circuit which did what I think you are looking for, I’ll see if I can find it.

1 Like

This was the article, but I don’t think it is what you were after having looked again. Still quite handy, so here it is.

1 Like

@qlamerand made some…

4 Likes

Thanks @sezare56
I sold some here https://sidekicks.fr/
I will make new ones and different ones as well, but as I changed job I didn’t take enough the time to work on this.

3 Likes

Here’s my finished one, I went for oversize knobs about 30mm diammeter and 30mm tall for nice feel, I did think of doing a fader but cutting slots is more difficult - nice job @qlamerand

8 Likes

Hmm.

Just did a quick test it works fine when setting up, whole range covered nicely so that knob position reflects value, but then when I mapped some parameters to the control 1 and control 2 something isn’t quite right, there seems to be crosstalk, in that knob 2 affects knob 1 parameter value.

I ran out of time tonight to determine what is causing it, might be a firmware bug or might be something I have overlooked, I think tomorrow I will do some more tests with other parameters on the Rytm, and also test it on AH to see if same happens.

1 Like

You could use a D type flip flop or a 7555 to do the same thing. The spst switch sends a momentary pulse to the d type and for each press the output of the flip flop changes state. Like an electronic latching switch. No other components required unless you denounce the switch with a resistor and cap. Take 5v and GND off the socket. Might be wise to bypass the IC with a cap too. Plus with a 4013 yo7 get two D types!

If a low/high logic level is no good and you need volt free contacts you could use a small relay with the logic level switching the coil through a tranny. Complicates the circuit a bit or maybe you could get away with just switching a tranny with the logic level tied to the base via a suitable resistor? I guess it depends on what you end goal is but if you’ve got 5vdc on tap you could even go down the micro route with a PIC or even arduino?

Edit- Be sure to observe the usual logic rules like tying unused input to gnd or a voltage rail.

From experience I found that when I used some switches the 7555 gave better results. The 4013 would sometimes miss a button press or double trigger. That could have been my denouncing but if that’s the case the 7555 is deffo more tolerant.

1 Like

Wait wouldn’t you in fact get the sum of the 2 values if the 2 were assigned to the same parameter?

So if they are linea and not exponential and pot A was 25% and pot B was swept from 0% to 100% the lowest value of the sweep would be 25% and after 75% you max out ???

Or is that not what you are saying?

No they were assigned to different parameters, control 1 was set to cutoff frequency on RS track, control 2 was set to resonance on RS track, pretty weird huh?

I plan to do some more testing later, I only tried it very briefly.

1 Like

Let us know I really want to make one as well! Such a simple elegant idea!!!

Ok, just tried it again, started with a new kit, re-learned both control inputs and now everything works as expected. I think there may be a bug in the learning because I definitely learned both inputs on first test. Before trying the new kit and re-learning (with last nights setup) this morning I noticed that control 1 would only flip between min and max, and that changing control 2 pot would cause control 1 value to change.

So anyway all seems to be working properly now, I like the fact that the pots add or subtract from the stored parameter value, and that the range can be set.

Lots of fun to use, so I’d definitely recommend it!

Thinking of doing some LDR ones now, might be fun to have LED from say BD pad ducking the volume on a cymbal or whatever :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah LDR are fun as well :slight_smile:

Voir cette publication sur Instagram

Une publication partagée par Quentin Lamerand (@faqteur) le 18 Janv. 2018 à 12 :34 PST

2 Likes

It is a shame the A4/ARmkII housings are not magnetic, I was thinking about building like a magnetic LDR “tentacle” to attach near a pad/led - might have to rethink some other way.

Did you configure yours as a voltage divider using a LDR and fixed resistor? Was you able to cover the full range?

Yes. Not even used a fixed resistor :smiley:
It works perfectly as Elektron devices can learn the range.
photojack_cc

4 Likes

I guess you need to learn each time you change the light environment. Strombo in a club! :scream:

3 Likes

Hehe exactly

1 Like

Actually what is what for the TRS for the control inputs are specified in the manuals in the Technical information. Not in the AR MKII manual though, where it seems i have missed to put it in … ooops… Will fix that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

8 Likes