Should I sell my other Elektrons to get Analog Rytm Mk2?

Yea, for me too :wink:

But it makes sense IMHO, only 1 machine to learn and develop workflows on, unlimited possibilities.

Stimming has a video where he explains how he uses the 2 OT’s. In short 1 OT for groove other for all other elements, both with resample possibilities.

Also a few here on the forum who use 2.

For the OP it makes also sense I guess, he loops guitar on 1 OT… could prepare and develop a groove on another OT. Mangle them together on the fly :elan:

1 Like

That could work! Thanks for the awesome video @CompNutation :slight_smile:

I began using OT and samples of my other boxes alone last night briefly and it’s actually not bad for creating beats using the trig keys 9-16 as fixed velocity pads. I also read back through the manual looking for tips and tricks I may have missed on previous reads. One thing that popped out was gaining extra non-effected tracks by using the Dir inputs. So, if all 8 tracks are used up, for example, I can pipe in my synth or a couple of them over the top (controlled by OT) for 9 or 10 tracks technically. I’m liking the challenge so far.

The only problem with using two OTs, besides wrapping my head around so much going on at any one time haha, is that it’s near enough as expensive as an AR, so money (or lack thereof) rules again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rytm is so deep, found on instagram

3 Likes

I’ve read a couple of times in the last few months that you were on the verge of selling your Digitone (I’ve been following your chase for the perfect setup, as it’s always interesting, haha), so with that in mind, maybe you should indeed sell the DN. If it pops in your mind that often, and something just seems not right all of the time, just let it go. You may never look back, just like you haven’t with DT and AK. I’ve had the same experience with the Digitakt.

With that being said, I absolutely love the Digitone. Just like you said, I also tend to just grab saved presets on the spot, but I try to separate my patch making sessions from my music making sessions. I love to just start a blank patch on DN, fiddle, save preset, fiddle again, save new preset, repeat, for hours literally. When I wanna jam, the presets are there for me. But shaping sounds whilst jamming with multiple instruments, hmm, that just gets me out of the groove too often (I know Ess does it this way, though). So that separation might work for you as well. But for that to work, both the physical and digital interface of the Digitone must really inspire you to pursue making patches (I believe). You own the DN for quite some time, so if by now you don’t have the complete feeling of satisfaction with it, maybe you should move on indeed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You make a good point. Once I’ve fully sampled everything I can imagine ever needing from it (and it proves successful working with only samples), my DN will be relegated to being my only OB box for pseudo-multitracking other boxes. Another point for sticking with OT alone (rather than AR) is that I often use DN’s unison on drums, which obviously requires stereo samples :slightly_smiling_face:

Sometimes I use it as a synth as well (being fed random arps from the OT). So something keeps me looking over at it fondly sometimes. For example, here’s a jam track straight out of the OT (no other mixing involved) that is pure DN for all sounds (drums inc), with OT doing everything else like effects and mixing:

5 Likes

Cool track. Love that dusty background noise!

1 Like

Sounds great. Also your DN ambient work on youtube, by the way! There’s plenty of reasons to keep the DN, but I recognize the feeling of wanting to get rid of something because you don’t seem to be able to it fit into your setup like you imagined it, even though everyone tells you it’s an amazing piece of gear and you should keep it. Luckily we’re not talking about a discontinued product like the Monomachine and you can simply repurchase it if you miss it.

Once I knew I didn’t gel with a sample-based workflow, I went full on the synthesis approach and purchased a second Digitone. That worked out nicely, and I haven’t bought any gear in a while now. Maybe you should go all-in on the samples, haha.

1 Like

Muchos gracias! I’m in no rush to change everything up luckily. I will keep DN for a few more months yet. Maybe it’s me that got stale, not my gear haha

1 Like

@craig definitely consider making one of these if you get ARmkII, super hands on tweakage along with the perf knob etc.
CV in controller for ARmkII A4mkII AH?

1 Like

Dope!!!

1 Like

Ooh that looks v cool. Thanks! Checking it out now :slightly_smiling_face:

Personally I think and feel the ARmkii to be gods gift to drum machines… and agree with what others have scribed regarding each Elektron box filling it’s own little pocket sonicly…I have a ARMkii and DN / DT / A4mkii and a MC aswell, and they all do unique and interesting things with drums and percussion, and all excel at something the others don’t when it comes to boom bap. Some of my favorite drum patterns however come from a combination of multiple units. The cymbals from the DN are killer (especially if you allow polyphony so each strike doesn’t retrig and mute the tail of the previous triggered sound)…the MC gives amazing, morphing alien textures that are not locked to the same immutable base that a sample has and it sits beautifully when layered with the ARmkii (f#ck your samples!). The A4mkii gives tones that only the combination of 2 filters can. And the DT (even though it is basicly 1/3 of an AR), makes for some of the fastest, usable rhythmic loops than all of the above.
I dunno, I wouldn’t be selling your gear to get more gear…I would think I was justified in acquiring as many tools as possible given your obvious talent in the track above…

7 Likes

I think it’s a really good machine. Only thing I would add is that you might not want to expect to use the dual VCO for bass in any normal way. It does not have fine tune so it’s a bit limited in terms of using with other equipment unless you tune your other synths etc to fit it. Also it’s about a quarter note off per octave which means it works best on bass lines with a small range. This was a bit disappointing to me when I got it as I read only positive things about it. (Elektron confirmed that this is expected behavior from the machine)

1 Like

Great insights to each of the machines strengths in the percussion department!

Aha, so I should just work my ass off, save up and get AR as well! :heart_eyes: It’s definitely a route that’s worth considering. I will bear that in mind!

That’s hugely disappointing to hear :frowning: I guess it wasn’t meant to be a feature of the box when it was designed, so maybe it’s more useful for minimal techno that pretty much uses percussion with some bassy elements. My hearing/pitch detection definitely isn’t good enough to be wrangling with that every session!

Yup there was an add here is OZ about 20 years ago that was a cartoon of a dirty rag tattered street kid, sheltering from the rain in a cardboard box, holding a Moog lilphatty under one arm with a big smile on thier face…

Nope not that bleak, Look…me and my partner give ourselves $50.00 A week pocket money as part of budgeting…it’s funny that if you start saving that much a week for your passion, just how quickly you reach goals, even as big as ARs or Access Viruses (viri?) Or blah blah blah blah…that’s roughly a big purchase of $2500 A year if you are patient. Thats how I got each of my Elektron devices - $50 A week over many years…

1 Like

Amazing idea! Cheers. I reckon I could squirrel away 50 notes each week if I’m strict with myself :blush:

Browsing the forum and digging this up.
Did you end up getting a Rytm? I tried to find Hip Hop vids on YT but there were only a few…
I really want to know WHY sampling is not as detailed as on the DT and if the Rytm paired with just 1 synth (minilogue) is fine in terms of sequencing or if not; at least cooperating.

Cheers

I did get a Rytm MKII, yes! And I did end up selling my other Elektrons at the time (Octatrack and Digitone) to fund it - though I will be rebuying an OT soon, because it’s amazing!

So, I find the sample start resolution of Rytm to be fine for short samples. You Essentially get 120 equally spaced points between the start and end, so the the shorter the sample, the more accurate you can be. And you can always use resampling and the sample editor to get dead accurate start points if desired. For long samples (say, 16 or 64 step loops), I find it best to prepare a perfect loop in Bitwig (any DAW will do tho), then the sample can easily be divided up. For example, halfway through (step 9) of a 16 step loop is sample start 60, 30 for step 5, etc etc.

Regarding the midi side of things for controlling synths, it’s definitely very limited. You only get control over a single Note, Length, and Velocity per step, and you have to sacrifice a track to achieve this. It will work with a mono synth just fine. You can also use trig conditions, which is quite cool imo.

1 Like

THanks for that!

Well my setup will remain minimal because i prefer to understand stuff and be able to turn them on and make music. The DT is epic in that sense. I dont really care for CC too much; but being able to save the Minilogues Patch onto the DT project is very very usefull.

I am just very interested in being able to do even more with samples. the DT is epic; but being able to add all the extra jazz onto the kicks i downloaded…

Ill wait tho and see how the DT and Minilogue work together.

1 Like