Customising LCD display

If you refer to the pic I posted at post 18, it is not related to @airyck. Check thread below pic.

My MD is black. I’d love a black OT MK2, with inverted red screen. :wink:

Good luck @airyck !

4 Likes

I’m hoping I can get away with just flipping some bits for the most part. The rest depends on addresses and pixel layout as to if I have to convert things. I’ll probably have to do a separate initialization of the OLED too. Obviously I can’t change the Octatrack code so my plan is to try and convert it to something useful for the OLED.

3 Likes

Seems like it was done before/sold on reverb. There is a picture shows a simple 20pin OLED, maybe you can identify based on traces or try to contact seller for more info? GL

That was actually a VFD display (even though he called it an OLED). From what I’ve read they don’t last very long and are very expensive.

I’m building a test rig with one microcontroller that controls a similar LCD and one that controlls an OLED. Then I’ll switch the outputs of the LCD microcontroller to the inputs of the OLED microcontroller. Then it’s just figuring out how to convert the commands.

Still might be a while since I have many other projects + responsibilities to deal with. I also get tired of only working on the same thing day in and out.

4 Likes

Wondering if a FPGA solution could be used to add a VGA output? Would be great to have Elektron screens on a big screen, something like this:

4 Likes

This could probably be made to work for an Octatrack MKii. It has the same controller AFAIK (SSD1306). Still not much help with the MKI. I had to stop working on this project for a while because of a toddler running around and wanting to spend more of my limited free time on other things.

This sparks some new ideas though if I get back around to this again sometime.

3 Likes

Well, I ordered a couple of kits one for gameboy and one for OTmkII, will probably wait until warranty has expired before testing on OT though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just bought this … if anyone is intereseted in doing a similar mod (I don’t think it is an actual OLED)

s-l500

2 Likes

I’m curious. More info, please.

Any chance you could get the part number/manufacturer off of the PCB? Because that’s probably about a $10 part from an electronics supplier. Not to undercut someone’s hustle or anything, but that’s a REALLY high price if it’s not custom made.

1 Like

I got the display and it looks like a winstar 12864A revT display. It came with a buckconvertor pre-installed.

AB8A8696-2FDA-4C13-8F93-60DB67DEBBA8_1_201_a

I finished the upgrade!
what a chore! it is very dofficult to desolder the original display…

Anyway I managed to do it with a lot of force…
her some pics of the new display working! It is very crisp and easier on the eyes… I Like it a lot!

10 Likes

thanks for all the information, really apreciated :)) i found an option in aliexpress (https://tinyurl.com/y6s6b755 ) and quicker option in spain (https://tinyurl.com/y2sx6n45) , where did you picked yours?
has anyone found a white on black screen ?

1 Like

hmm… maybe this ? https://www.buydisplay.com/2-9-inch128x64-graphical-lcd-display-module-ks0108-white-on-black

1 Like

@Airyck anything else ever move on this? Just had me thinking if such a mod would be possible on an MPC. I know the screens are a lot easier to remove and replace than OT but no idea what goes into converting the signal

No unfortunately. I don’t really have the time for such a large project.

It involved putting a microcontroller inside that would read from one display format and then convert to another. That also meant writing the software that runs on the microcontroller. To convert messages. Not a super simple task :slight_smile:

Would it potentially introduce a noticeable latency? Wonder how much it would cost to get assistance from someone with the know how. I can find OLED screens that are twice the vertical size which is nice and convenient because then you’d be able to run the jjos XL screen firmware but on an OLED. Would be beautiful

1 Like

Likely not noticeable. Human speed and computer speed are deceptive to compare. The format change between two displays shouldn’t be too bad. But there a lot of loose ends to projects like this, it takes time.

1 Like

Probably not much latency. It’s not a small project by any means though. I bet someone with excellent software skills and an understanding of display controllers could knock it out fairly quickly though.

1 Like

Like a guy who’s done device drivers for display systems.

1 Like

Yes exactly :+1:t2:

1 Like