Customising LCD display

It would have to be 2x as wide as well as 2x as tall (pixelwise). To double the size of the pixel, its 4x (twice wide, twice high…cant double only 1 dimension). Also probably uses sprites, which would have to be redesigned, because they dont always scale nicely.

I wanted to do this with one of my megacommands cause my crappy eyesight.
(don’t get old, kids)

Nah there’s a specific third party operating system designed to take advantage of a double size screen. there’s a site that sells the screen and you pay a fee to the dev to upgrade the OS. Turns out that actual screen is a fairly inexpensive part just popped into a simple plastic housing and marked up, was thinking I could just make one myself and that got me wondering if oled was possible. Looking into it though it seems that would cost more to develop than the whole MPC including upgrades. I bet kits would sell well but who’s got the money to have it designed. I’d try to learn and DIY but it sounds like a pretty advanced project. Might attempt 3D printing the housing and building the LCD version myself though

My misunderstanding. I thought u were just talking about doubling any LCD.
Yeah, I’m aware of that specific extra large lcd

My apologies. I was confused.

Hi all,

Do any of you know which screen the octatrack MKII uses. Is it this one?

https://www.winstar.com.tw/products/oled-module/graphic-oled-display/weo012864j.html

I must bought a second hand MK2 and one row of pixels is broken…was thinking of putting in a different coloured screen. Is it very difficult to do yourself? (I’ve built my own analogue synth before so have some soldering experience)

I was wondering last week how difficult it would be to replace the OLED in the MKII with a nice, reliable LCD that will still be pretty much like new in a decade. Like the MKI has.

1 Like

i’m also curious if anyone has attempted replacing the screen of the ot mkii…i’ve reached out to elektron and they’ve offered to have it shipped to LA to be fixed, but wanted to see if maybe there was a guide online that i could tackle instead of having to ship it far away.

Seems nothing was ever resolved here.
During lockdown when I was looking up DIY projects to occupy my time it seemed there were a ton of screens you could buy in a range of colors for various Elektron boxes. Ended up making a bunch of 500 series modules.
Now I can only find one seller with screens for Machinedrums. Nobody seems to be selling ones for other boxes like the OT MKI and MKII, Digitone, A4 etc.
Do all of these require a crossover cable and microcontroller or are there some off the shelf swaps for some models?

2 Likes

thank you for your summarizing.

so you seem to be the guy that wields the iron like a magic wand…
as you have OLED-ed the OT…I would assume it doable to an MD? I now have white on black in my MD, but it doesnt offer the viewing angle the OLED does. and as I sit a a desk most of [all of the time] when mucking about with tunes, I need to post up for a good view.

tell me it can be done. [I have no knowledge or skills]

edit:

this thing seems like it needs 1.8 to 3.3v and I think MD is 5v. making it impossible yes? along with it having only 4pins. or is there a way to regulate power and branch the pins?
or did what I just write = a load of uninformed horse shit.