EXTERNAL SCREEN for Octa MK2

I had that one with additional speakers that folded out…nice. :))

1 Like

Post pics afterword please, video maybe… :rofl:

1 Like

Bringing back this topic because I do have an issue with small screens. I really can’t stand them.

I wonder why manufacturers can’t add the option to use an external screen. It would make things so much easier.

Do you know any viable solution?

How about mounting a smartphone with an HDMI adapter where it can see the Octatrack screen?

1 Like

I briefly looked into it a few years back, it is definitely doable but it was not something that is trivial to do. There is a FPGA based adapter, which can emulate the kind of IC used for the OT display driver and output a VGA signal, but there are 2 protocols for this IC, (serial and parallel) and no one (to my knowledge) has written the code for the type of protocol used by the OT - which if IRC is the parallel protocol.

I wrote a bit about it here on the forum but I can’t remember which thread it was.

But yeah a video output would be awesome.

3 Likes

This thread maybe?

3 Likes

That’s the one :+1:

1 Like

This was my childhood.

2 Likes

I think elektron has option to send all screen data over usb/midi, at least on devices after Analog Four. You can see it in action on Analogs firmware update videos or on @Ess Digitone streams

1 Like

Would be good if more kit had VGA out I think…

3 Likes

What you see in these videos is just a clever placement of cameras and some post production to insert it enlarged, contrast corrected and geometrically corrected as overlay.

6 Likes

:sob:

You could build a max/maxforlive editor for all controls.
It would be easy since you don’t need bidirectional communication and just mirror it to whatever screen you like. Bonus: lay out all parameters in one window to see everything at once.

1 Like

I took the idea here and programmed an app for the iPad:

You need a lens (“Iboolo phone lens 90 degree square angle periscope lens for smartphone”) and also a good stand - and an iPad.

The detection shown in the video, and also the algorithms to increase the image quality are not trivial, but far from perfect. If there is enough interest, I would be happy to finalize the app and try to release it in the App Store, respectively provide a test version first.

Feedback is welcome!

37 Likes

Looks awesome and an ingenious idea too :ok_hand:

2 Likes

This could work well for many devices , you could do more overlays on the iPad screen , include colours etc.
Maybe slow the refresh rate to save on battery ( I assume the camera is running in movie mode ? )
Could even add audio / voice … helping visually impaired people

It’s. Good start . Nice work.

And if your interpreting the screen you could rework for vr headsets … it could recognise the device layout and augment a help manual … similar to that apple headset ( though similar probably exists on quest for years )

2 Likes

I was thinking this too, I think that it has many applications as well.

Good work @raizen

1 Like

Adding the manual information right there on the screen is so cool! I like this idea a lot.

1 Like

Neil has some sort of magnifying device on his OT

https://www.youtube.com/live/Dol31wMBsls?feature=share

I’m gonna try to find a lens the right size and then maybe 3d print an box/enclosure for it?

In the meantime, i realized i could use the MANIFOLD app to see my OT settings, because i have my ipad as a midi and audio router with my setup.

1 Like

i like the idea and i think it’s been nicely implemented…there sure is room for improvement but it is indeed a good start already. well done :smiley_cat:

1 Like