CoronaVirus Thread

I am supposed to fly to Seattle in a few weeks, first time back since I moved east in 2013.

Looking like less and less of a good idea all the time. Also: non-refundable tickets. :weary:

This is all in the US? Just so we’re comparing like to like. Cause I’ve heard that only like ten people died in the US

I don’t understand your question. Can you try to clarify?

Waving from Piroshky happy hour!

jk: but I work in both those buildings all the time. That SMT elevator traffic… an ironic Seattle microcosm.

1 Like

The death rates are total I’m pretty sure. The 1.5 milllion figure would be expected USA deaths if covid were to spread as readily as the flu.

1 Like

NPR did a story yesterday on Coronavirus. In Wuhan, where it originated, it has killed about 4%. But that was due to them not knowing what they were dealing with early on, and medical professionals not knowing the best way to treat patients. Since then, the death toll is around 0.7%. Still worse that the flu, but not as bad as early numbers suggest.

Of course, in my opinion, it is still early, and the outlook could get better, or worse in the coming months.

1 Like

Was just teaching at Delft University of Technology, NL where at least one student tested positive.

Events starting to get canceled, which is bad for my rental business. Will also be interesting to see what will happen when the eurovision event is supposed to be held in Rotterdam in May…

Yea it’s looking as though lots of big events are going to be forced to be abandoned/moved to more feeble dates. I just read that the new James Bond movie has been postponed, could see it happening to other big movies/gigs/events…outside of the health prospects, it’s having a big impact on people’s work and ability to earn money, which will have tons of knock on effects that we probably can’t foresee at the moment .

I feel bad for people who are self employed or zero hours contracted in the uk, as it stands they won’t get any sick pay…

I’m a motion designer working for a company that produces huge corporate events and our clients are starting to cancel and postpone events as we speak. I can’t name the clients but these are like 13 million dollar events getting cancelled. I’m concerned I may be out of a job because of this.

1 Like

I am on a part time contract and pretty sure I won’t be covered for time off. I could deliver classes via virtual learning but not sure if work would ok that

Loss of earnings though is better than dying lol

Yes, it definitely seems to be. My wife is a bar tender / waiter, and I asked her to take some time off. I normally don’t jump on hype-wagons, but she’s got a somewhat compromised immune system, and we just happen to be in that not great age-range, plus have kids. A few of our friends think that’s crazy, but if putting my family first even if it’s “just in case” is crazy then…

Luckily at my work, I can stay in my office all day for the most part.

And the best part is that yes, we’ve been spending a little more time at home, and I’ve been making plenty of music, catching up on some games that I’ve been wanting to play, etc. :smiley:

We also had plans to go to Bali in April, but our flights got cancelled. So we booked another trip in May to Cancun instead (and will go to Bali later) but now I’m wondering if they’ll cancel those ones too since they’re a similar amount of time out.

4 Likes

As the home of the NCAA headquarters, Indianapolis always has March Madness dates, often times the Final Four itself.

Only a few days of Midwest Regional / Elite Eight are here this year.

I think I am going to avoid the crowds of travelers downtown this year, much more than usual.

My OT, Model Samples, a freezer full of food, and a vast collection of single barrel, high proof bourbons has never looked so inviting.
Gotta keep my mouth disinfected, right?

10 Likes

Yeah I should definitely stock up on whiskey as well… for my health!

3 Likes

Sláinte mhaith!

3 Likes

Ha! I also have a decent whiskey collection, but we went out, stocked up on a few things, and bought more liquor. :smiley: Got a nice Anejo Tequila, some Scotch, a nice Irish, among others. My wife and I call that the “important part”.

I recently built a nice copper/fiber LAN setup throughout the house, and upgrade all of the kids’ computers, so we can play Quake, Terraria and Borderlands if we get bored.

7 Likes

Good point. I need to stock up on rum and ale

2 Likes

Agreed. I have a decent whiskey collection, among other things, and some canned goods if I need to hunker down. Being in Chicago, I just expect it to come at some point. Not really sure I’ll even be able to avoid it. May have to stop at the dispensary as well.

Not to Worry, I found a cure! Chicken Noodle Soup and you will be fine

1 Like

I’ve just bought a load of food, and intend platinum Resident Evil 2 and Red dead 2, until this all blows over.

6 Likes

Steam release of Borderlands 3 and Doom Eternal for me. They couldn’t have had a better release date range. :smiley: The kids and I dump hours into Terraria though. We’ve nearly terraformed and entire large map now. I keep it running on a server, so we can hop in and out at will. The world is basically living, because we never know who built what new structure. Just laid minecart track to all major locations too, so we have transportation infrastructure. :grin:

2 Likes