CoronaVirus Thread

Boris telling everyone not to go to pubs, clubs, restaurants, the office and don’t travel but refusing to close anywhere is just baffling.

The fact the south of Ireland has closed every pub on st pats and putting in place financial support for businesses speaks volumes compared to what we are experiencing in the north. We need an all island approach

6 Likes

My 5 year old made me laugh this morning. He’s been off School for the grand total of 1 day. Thought he’d love the pre holiday holiday but he said ‘Daddy, I’ve had 2% fun today because of Corona Virus’. Bless him. Mum’s off, due to office closure but she’s still working non stop remotely. She woke up with a cough though…,

4 Likes

Things are beginning to look bleak here in Australia. The mad panic shopping began a few days ago. I work in the events industry and as you can imagine gigs are being cancelled left right and center. I’ve heard some people going to some dark places with their words knowing their livelihood is drying up. It’s times like this I wish I migrated to NZ instead. Strange days my friends.

6 Likes

same boat here man. its grim. theres no outlook. i have some savings so im not worried about myself, but my casual commrades, its highly concerning. just be there and be a shoulder. people need talk time, in this case it’ll be over the phone if we end up in lockdown. its a weird, surreal nightmare at the moment

1 Like

it’s definitely starting to feel apocalyptic. empty supermarkets, all my friends about to be out of work, businesses closing, everyone is on edge, everyone talking about the virus. also I saw a guy jump off princes bridge today, not sure if he made it. weird timeline.

It’s a surreal reality to get used to for an unforeseeable future. Not knowing when or how this will pan out is frustrating, but at least there are some positive statistics and news coming in.

Almost the entire Elektron office in Gothenburg, Sweden is now working from home. It’s weird and emotionally draining keeping up with everything happening, but I feel lucky to be here and at a company in a position where it’s fully possible for me to keep working and get paid.

There are many out there that are in a dire situation, especially where there are zero social security nets (e.g the US) for a lot of people. I would really urge you to support your locals if you have the possibility. It could also be as easy (depending on your own financial status) to support your favorite independent artist via Bandcamp or Patreon etc

Also recommend sharing this document containing a lot of useful info and mutual aid links, mostly useful to people in the US in terms of local help groups, but pretty packed with info in any case: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rcan4C_e6OBFBI5bUn7MtYK74Ab-WarxyJmDvZUI_YA

21 Likes

Its not that easy. With corticosteroids you can block almost any infection but not by fighting the virus. You just block the immunsystem from doing its job.

Criminal masterminds have seen this as a market opportunity

And for those of you who like conspiracy theories here some food for you.
Event 201, a pandemic exercise in Oct 2019 was pretty spot on…:sweat_smile:

This quarantine is giving us too much internet time…:upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Went shopping in m&s this morning and was welcome break from the madness and panic buying. Not busy and staff helping some elderly shoppers. Got fresh breads from the oven and loads of nice food rather than bags of pasta and toilet roll.

Was such a calming shop

And I got alcohol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As long as there is beer and wine we will be just fine…:laughing:

1 Like

The delivery man still on duty. :heart:

New blanket to keep the Neutron :fire:

9 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, but if you read the papers I posted it reportedly blocked RNA replication and caused the pneumonia to go away in a couple of days. The three patients with severe pneumonia all recovered, which sounds positive and was enough to prompt a wider study and some stockpiling of the drug by the government.

I would love for it to work. Maybe they are on to something. Having personal experience with corticosteroids I can only say that this stuff is really evil stuff, really really evil stuff. It´s an important weapon to fight a lot of things, but the side effects are monstrous.

4 Likes

It is clear that some people aren’t taking things seriously, stuff like going to the theatre and going on vacation wouldn’t be priority for many, you’d think.

I think that a lockdown/curfew is going to bring a lot of additional challenges if not managed correctly, especially once it is a global. IT infrastructure on which many systems rely is going to be under a lot of pressure from increased demands.

I think the mainstream and social media companies really need to think more carefully about how they are conducting themselves too.

6 Likes

It’s times like this I’m glad I moved from the US to Japan (other than missing family). People here hold it together pretty well and tend to come together in times of disaster. Toilet paper briefly dried up and masks and hand sanitizer are nowhere to be found, but the supermarkets and convenience stores are still fully stocked, and I can’t imagine civil unrest here.

The government is a bit slow to react but are working on getting mask production ramped up, and have passed legislation needed to be able to do the necessary quarantining and makeshift hospitals if necessary.

After the big earthquake, a lot of major corporations stepped in to do their part and I imagine that will happen this time as well. I know that Sharp has retooled one of its chip plants with clean rooms over to mask production and other companies are installing extra capacity as well.

Fingers crossed this passes more quickly than we are all fearing at the moment and works out well for all of us.

2 Likes

Thought things were looking grim before, but now that Bunnings has gone and suspended their sausage sizzles I’m not sure if there’s anything left worth fighting for.

May as well lick a few door handles and have a lie down - it’ll be all over soon enough…

6 Likes

Close the thread now, nothing’s beating that!
:joy::rofl::grin:

3 Likes

The World Chess Candidates just started

Anyone who coughs is causing panic lol.

1 Like

Isn’t Flonase a corticosteroid? I use that pretty much everyday and don’t have any side effects.