CoronaVirus Thread

It is and I know some people who have huge side effects with it. I never had issues with it but have found Nasacort to be more effective personally. Plus, NASA! :nerd_face:

Both of these don’t get into the lungs as much as asthma/oral based corticosteroids. Mostly focuses on histamine response (hence the nose inhalation).

I was on Symbicort before and then my insurance stopped covering it.

Another reason I’m glad I got permanent residency in Japan and could never move back to the US. I’m too accustomed to good/cheap healthcare!

1 Like

Wealthy celebrities and the mega rich need to step up and start to help the people who are in financial need, so far I have only seen 1 singer doing so.

Actions speak louder than words, of which they seem to have no problem giving away, but words don’t pay for things that people need to live.

Yeah they can’t help everyone, but they can help someone, that’s a start.

3 Likes

It begins, how can a dumb fuck like me predict this yet seemingly governments can’t?

Also:
https://downdetector.co.uk/

3 Likes

It’s just voice services, data seems to be fine. Which means that it’s probably not related to confinement (as the articles says). But I get the frustration though

Noticed yesterday calling clients that I was getting the call can not be completed. Not good.

Yeah, maybe I’m over reacting but still I think data demands are not being given much thought, if any, from what I see on the news.

I read of a german company yesterday that wants to start testing an antidote next month already. its not the company trump tried to buy all scientists and exclusive rights for the US from (and got rejected, luckily. now I officially hate that douche). this company is heavily financed from china and will distribute worldwide if they succeed.
that might be a shimmer on the horizon.

Im curious to see how our (german) government (and all others too) plan on handling the economic disaster. I recon they will figure something out, but thats something where I dont envy them. things like sitting out rent, shopping coupons and whatever have been thrown out as possibilities. I mean, you cant just let the world become unemployed.

I am in home office as of today. Workload is really low so I had time to produce a track. thats a positive to this… you all stay safe

1 Like

Agreed. John Cena bought a veteran’s groceries. But that’s probably a more common (for him) act of kindness and not really related.
They’re all freaking out just as bad and probably figuring it may be a while until they work again, as every industry will surely be touched.

Trump needs to be on the horn with the entire federal utility regulatory commission and major utility CEOs talking about a timeline for reduced rates, suspending profits, a national moratorium for utility disconnections.
He needs to activate the National Guard to transition empty high schools and middle schools nationwide into MASH units, and send Reservists to protect their grocers and pharmacies and to police hoarding.

Really, this all should have been done 10 days ago.

It’s almost as if electing a big dumb idiot con man has real life consequences in an emergency.

13 Likes

It depends on the type of work you do, but unless you use a remote desktop, you probably aren’t using more data than usual. I’m curious to see the numbers but in different countries the infrastructures seem to be holdin’ up just fine. The only problems are for specific services, and if some website can support the load increase. Like discord for instance, or for smaller websites where you can shop for groceries online then go get them at a drive-thru that aren’t used to the load.

1 Like

The company I do (did?) contract work for, the same company that my wife works at uses Box for collaborating. In this instance working from home means we’ll use the same amount of data, if not less since the computers at work are all shut off and not synchronizing to Box.
Most folks leave their home computers on, so that they don’t have to wait for them to sync when going home early to finish up work. In other words, practically no data is being used at the office, and the same amount is being used at home.
A lot of smaller tech businesses work this way.

But, the actual service this company provides is all about consulting with companies (100 to 5,000 employees) and how they operate, utilize their space and resources. Many companies who are transitioning to allowing more remote workers have to VPN/connect through the office remotely, so that will certainly require more data. The more advanced ones have encrypted cloud connections.

I’m curious to see what the total difference will be, across the whole of the internet. I wonder when we’ll get those numbers.

1 Like

Someone just sent me this. Trend lines as of five days ago.

It’s important to note that the graphic is logarithmic here. The curves looks more like an exponential.

I’ve had a weird feeling in my throat for days. that sinus drainage sort of feeling you get when you have a cold coming on, basically. but it’s annoying me and stressing me out a bit, in the midst of all this.

so then yesterday my left eye was blurry all day. could not get it to focus. all day long. hard to read anything and I started getting headaches. glasses on or off (I’m near-sighted), didn’t matter. always blurry. started wondering if this is a side-effect of the virus/fever and maybe the sore throat really is something…

finally around 11pm I stick my finger in my eye and pull out a contact lens. turns out I had only pulled out the other one the night before. I’m an idiot. (also I’m very new to wearing contacts, probably only worn them a dozen times.)

anyway, I’m relieved but also happy to just laugh at myself :rofl:

13 Likes

Glad you’re okay, what a twist, damn :rofl:

4 Likes

probably because they are actually amoeba’s in suits and we all know amoeba’s are single celled organisms without a brain.

er … absolutely.
Some peeps need to wake the fuck up.

6 Likes

The explanation from the person tracking it:

(Edited to his twitter feed as there is a very in-depth discussion of the reasoning)

Updated version:

Live version here:

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

Thought I’d share our home sanitizing plan for when my wife I goes out/returns with supplies, medication… We didn’t find this anywhere, just kinda made it up in the last week and have refined it a couple times.

• When Returning Person goes out, they call the Person 2 to open the door when they return.
  • Person 2 opens the door and avoids contact when letting Returning Person enter.
  • Returning Person drops all things at the door, (wallet, keys, phone, supplies, including jacket.)
  • Person 2 already has the doors that lead to the bathroom open, with the hot water running in the sink.
  • Returning Person touches absolutely nothing before touching the hot water and hand soap.
  • Returning Person washes hands and leaves hot water running.
  • While Returning Person is washing up, Person 2 santizes (clorox wipes) all the things that the returning person brought back. Bags of products are opened and each item is sanitized, bags and unnecessary packaging thrown in garbage. Cards taken out of wallet and sanitized. (only the cards needed had left the house) Jacket is sprayed with ammonia rich windex and, special attention given to zippers, collars, and sleeves and then wiped with clorox wipes (we treat our daily incoming mail and packages the same way). Also hits the entry door knobs and mailbox with some windex for good measure / regularity.
  • Person 2 goes to bathroom, where hot water is running, and scrubs hands.
  • At the start of the next trip, the person going out takes a clorox wipe to do their car interior (wheel, instruments, handles).

All you need to do this is hand soap, and bleach with a rag (if you don’t have clorox wipes).
This is in addition to small keychain bottles with homemade hand sanitizer (1 part aloe, 2 parts 60%+ alcohol) that is used in public after every interaction.

11 Likes

That graph is deaths not people who tested positive.

The first graph I posted was number of cases.