Companion gear for Digitakt

Now we’re talking.

You got a Heat paired to the DT? How do you use it?

Op1 + DT sounds like fun :slight_smile: Does Op1 need a USB host midi box or run straight from the DT USB? Using Op1 Endless and Arpeggio with DT would be sweet :slight_smile:

Yes you need a USB host, @Callofthevoid.

@andreasroman so far I use it very simply, I love the sound.
AH is really fun on drums, auto envelope is a very nice tool for these.

Messing with AH CC is where it should become serious :smile:
Still on my todo list !!!

2 Likes

I was planning on using the Midi tracks on the DT to sequence the Heat’s effects, to use the Heat to create additional sound design depths in real time on the tracks. Wouldn’t that be something? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed !!

Speaking of which, the SP-404 is a great companion for the DT. I’ve tried using mine and controlling it via the DT’s MIDI tracks (instead of using the SP’s internal sequencer). It gives you like 6 extra voices of stereo samples and some great effects as well. Pretty sweet for a compact performance setup :smile_cat:

Tried uploading a snippet of how they sound together but it seems to stop at 20%, not sure why :confused:

13 Likes

Yup great combo :+1:

8 Likes

I will be adding a Roland SE-02 and a keystep to my DT. I was eyeing the Sub 37 but the SE-02 looks very promising, it should be a nice combo.

I’m also looking at adding an MPC Live, mostly for chopping long samples and DAW duties. Do you think it’s overkill?

2 Likes

Nice. I’d love a similar set up just can’t afford it. with MPC live costing £999 I’d say you money would be better spent/saved elsewhere if it’s mainly for longer sampling?

Already got the Live, very happy with my current setup!

1 Like

What app or utility do you use for field recording using the iphone? Also, do you use an external mic, or the built-in?

I’ve used the built in.

Tascam PCM Rec MK2, with UX by the great Chris Randall of Audio Damage, is my iOS recorder app of choice, though it looks like it might not be available in the app store anymore.
Records .wav

1 Like

could you tell sth about how the volca fm sounds compared to the Tx81z,
how do you feel about it,
do you got preferences… ?
greetings

I got my Digitakt a little over a week ago, but didn’t have much time to spend with it until this week, during which time I have enjoyed sequencing the Volca FM, Eventide GTR4000, Roland MKS-80. I also made a quick video of my first attempt to use Digitakt to control Kyma:

1 Like

I do this already. Freaking awesome!

Pretty much anything works awesome in the dt.
My favorites so far with digitakt are mduw, OT, and pulse2. I haven’t gotten to mess with the drumbrute in the digitakt. But digitakt sequencing the analog heat can really get crazy.

They sound quite different. Volca has 6 operators and sine waves only, tx81z has 4 operators but different wave shapes. Tx81z sounds dirtier but not in a bad way. Although i still use it as a presets machine - editing patches isn’t a pain in the ass and Volca is much more user-friendly in this regard.

would this change if you had one of these fancy Synth Controllers?

They would cost more than the unit itself :slight_smile: I got it for around ~60 usd.
I’m planning to try using an iPad for this purpose some day and see how it handles the task.

But tbh I have no issues with using just presets on it, it has a decent amount source sounds for sampling and processing, considering the variations in timbre depending on velocity. And sometimes I run it through the low-pass filter on Korg Monotron (MS-20 filter i believe)

1 Like

I can’t decide on the Egoist, convince me on the bass front…
I’m looking for a MPC Live companion, to play with my most beloved Nave and Attack…

Have you tried the SP-303 fx on the digitakt’s outs? That’s gotta be a source for some interesting things from the digitakt.

1 Like