Coming up with a name

As someone who is unhappy with their artist name - chose something simple: three syllables max., nothing that you’ll ever need to spell out (it’s usually very loud where peeps ask for your name). Biz cards go a long way, but sill…

http://www.oblicard.com/

yeah no it’s cool guys, i’m happy with my name, was just wondering about varying things. cheers for the input though :smiley:

i must say the oblicard.com site is bizarre and cool … ah yes, i remember now, the background colour was different and they’ve slightly changed the web domain. very cool advice for working in the studio :slight_smile:

as regards the name previewlounge, it is three syllables, win :soccer:

i figure if guys are able to call themselves a different gender reference name, it is okay to reference a genre in a name whilst not actually performing that genre.

Genders and genres; sometimes too much thought goes into it.

tried some multi-format media to explore the idea of promotionally supportive content.

1 Like

This one made me LOL - “Catastrophe Ferret” FTW!!

Used to dream up all kinds of grandiose names (eg The Charles Babbage Ensemble), until one day the perfect name quite literally came to me in the shower: Snotbeard.

Preview lounge sounds like a winner though

thanks so much for the support guys lol but i think the entire idea of the name change and so forth is now something that isn’t relevant any more and it’s all just a bit too much :airplane:

anyway ready for the world tour now.

I really like Previewlounge, it’s vague in an interesting way. Band names are hard. For my electronic stuff (this isn’t a plug because I’ve never uploaded recordings) I treated a band name like a username (produk_87). It’s basically that aphex twin track with my birth year, simple, just like a username. We have no problem picking usernames so why not treat band names like that?

1 Like

Boring Arsehole

It’s a bit naughty if you take it literally

3 Likes

How about a phrase like… “I Still Need Some Sugar, Bro”
Vaguely thought of “Rocktatrack”, but that would be presumptuous and somewhat impolite.

haha actually going to go with the moniker from the B-Boy Mixers … “Supergeek”.
i thought the bboymixers domain name had been lost, although thankfully the company kept it active for many months unbeknownst to me.

So it’s going to be Supergeek from the B-Boy Mixers.
Actually working on a promo mix right now, pulled an all-nighter and the Octatrack mkII sampling/workflow is workable. 36 hours to achieve a 30 minute promo mix to maybe get a gig at a ‘new talent’ night at a club called Mobius.

1 Like

Oh man, cheers. Yes, that could be the one. Works on so many levels.
Prolly will go with that. Unless you would like to use it.

Be my guest, I’m keeping
Shitbox Dodge

1 Like

All those names are terrible except for Rainbow Jazz, but even that isn’t great.

However I could mix some of those ideas and make better names, for instance:

Rainbow Mango
Mixer VIxen
Electric Velvet
Deep Synthetic
Silicone Rainbow
Synthetic Mistress
Silicone Mistress
Lounge Mistress
Mistress Watermelon

1 Like

whoa.

yeah!

They’re all just made up names to try and make the same old thing appear new and exciting.

That’s why billy joel wrote “it’s still rock and roll to me” back in the 80’s because “new wave” music was just a resurgence of 60’s power pop and he thought the absurd marketing branding was ridiculous.

Remember when Techno became “electronica” in the late 90’s? Then around 2010 it became “EDM” and every time it’s rebranded it just becomes more and more terrible.

haha yes although electronica is slightly more on the chill-room side of things and edm seems to be progressive house with a hangover audio-shredding ‘technique’ from the Volume Wars.

thankfully, audio-shredding seems to be less in vogue these days.

talking of names, love the list, the only problem now is an embarrassment of choices.

1 Like

All of electronic music was being marketed as “electronica” in the late 90’s. There were “electronica” sections at the record stores that had all the house, techno, jungle, and everything in them. Now some people associate that name with chill stuff, but no artist ever actually used that term. It was purely marketing.

As far as names pick some that you like and roll some dice.

3 Likes

removed option 9 for convenience;
rolled the dice twice and then once to select Silicone Mistress

Perfect!

Think of the cover art!!!

1 Like

Stick with preview lounge? It’s unique, has an eerie feel to it

1 Like