Coming up with a name

What is in a name? So very much.

i am working on two different set ideas, one is psychill deep tech lounge, the other is prog house with some tech and deep minimal. Different to the degree that both could possibly warrant their own stage names.

the current list of name ideas

Previewlounge
Silicon Mango
Electric Stereo Mistress
Rainbow Jazz
Deepmixer
Velvet Vixen
Synthetic Watermelon

i usually find it easy to think of names but now for some reason all pathways seem hazy as regards the what, whom and wherefore.

Silicone Deep.

Synthetic Vixen

Rainbow Mistress

4 Likes

To each their own, but I like austere, opaque artist names like Silent Servant, Fluxion, Regis, Function, Prurient. I would be immediately put off by a name like Synthetic Watermelon because it would make me think of something studenty and smarmy. But then again Iā€™m not into disco and upbeat funk, ā€˜primary colourā€™ music. Iā€™m miserable as sin and like my music, and aesthetics, monochrome and minimal.

But I think in any genre a name is pretty important, just like I think track titles are important, and sleeve art is important. Youā€™re building little worlds, and every detail matters. Everything has the power to nick a pizza slice from the gestalt.

4 Likes

yes, Synthetic Watermelon was an existential exercise into coming up with something meaningless yet visual, somehow sensual but then again not sensual also. Almost nihilistic in its irritating meaningless. But the name is more a representation of my unwillingness to self-censor rather than something i feel much connection with.

absolutely love all those names you mentioned alastair, they are truly cool without attempting to be. Oh, and ā€¦ ā€œBut I think in any genre a name is pretty important, just like I think track titles are important, and sleeve art is important. Youā€™re building little worlds, and every detail matters. Everything has the power to nick a pizza slice from the gestalt.ā€ ā€¦ this is poetry ā€¦

also very cool ideas from Nuā€¦

"Silicone Deep.

Synthetic Vixen

Rainbow Mistress"

cheers for the remixing vibe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah I see what you mean re: Synthetic Watermelon. I guess one thing that I was trying to say was that the less thatā€™s in a name, the more the imagination can superimpose. But thereā€™s a reverse to that. I remember Shed saying he called his first album ā€˜Shedding The Pastā€™ for no other reason than that he wanted to make it clear he didnā€™t name himself with a noun in mind - that he wasnā€™t a garden shed.

1 Like

so youā€™re saying he was a garden shed previously :smiley: just being abstract.

a family member said i couldnā€™t use Vixen as that is female ā€¦ i thought that if i crossdressed for 20 percent of gigs, that could be enough to warrant the Vixen reference.

or maybe it could be a statement of hope for the future ā€¦ many vixen attending the gigs, that kind of thing. i know, pretty vapid of me to say that but i may as well, as to be honest that was part of the title idea. valuable thought process or not, i donā€™t know.

2 Likes

Tell that to Lucy, or Actress

3 Likes

okay cool, do they work in Tasmania i will go visit them now lol ā€¦ haha home alone on a weekend lol.

Haha Berlin and London, so bit of a trek

I know nothing of Tasmania except Ricky Ponting

2 Likes

Ricky Ponting would be a great stage name

1 Like

https://www.bandnamemaker.com/

1 Like

cheers although frustratingly the button wouldnā€™t work to generate my new band name ā€¦

i recently invested in a promotional item at the supermarket ā€¦ could be relevant for Velvet or Rainbow Vixen ā€¦ the background for a poster, etc.

A good way today is to looking for on Discogs, Decks, Beatport, iTunes, Googleā€¦
Try to search also for the domain name if itā€™s free in .com, .fr, .ork, .uk, etcā€¦
Looking for if thereā€™s already someone who use itā€¦
or if itā€™s sounds like someone elseā€¦
Because I think nowadays, you need to find something not common, unused, original, memorable, easy/ready/optimal to promote.

Donā€™t forget you have every Track title, EP title to put all the FUN inside and expressed yourselfā€¦ A name is something very different. itā€™s identity and also marketing (as it follow you long term)
My Thoughts on this subject.

As itā€™s electronic your sound I would avoid Silicon Mango (Because Silicon Soul)
Electric Stereo Mistress (Because Mistress Barbara)
Velvet Vixen (Because Green Velvet)
Deepmixer (Because I donā€™t like it - hahaha)

Cheers
NB: I didnā€™t like two entity name except if itā€™s a name (like Adam Jay, Laurent Garner, Jeff Mills etcā€¦)
I prefer the 1 entity thing like Redshape, Radioslave, Deepchord, Percā€¦ more friendly, easy to understand and it gives an uncluttered website like reshape.com (period, simple and effective)

3 Likes

heres a few i got:

Overdriven Fart
Xebec Foreskin
Wearing Material
Falling Ethereal
Bilingual Stride And The Gummy Hoodlum
Living Archery
Repetitive Brokerage
Pudgy Armory And The Mourning Appeal
Remote Of The Unspoken
Unsigned Convection

then i used the optional word ā€œElektronā€ and got these

Elektron Intonation Of The Catastrophe Ferret
Elektron Bastard
Defacing Elektron Of The Indirect Igniter
Iris Of Elektron
Municipal Ecstatic
Elektron Of Gamma

2 Likes

Elektron of Gamma and Elektron Bastard immediately present as quite attractive options.

fascinating, a very interesting comment ā€¦ yes i did think of maybe doing that. or initials ā€¦ go next level with not two but three ā€¦ JBV

Velvet Vixen isnā€™t too close to Green Velvet, although i love his fabulous Spin Me Like A Record Baby

did a quick mockup of an idea for Velvet Vixen, although iā€™m not necessarily sold on the name ā€¦ itā€™s more just to explore the idea of using last nightā€™s impulse purchase as a promotional item

2 Likes

Yes initials can work :wink: But check domaine name availability beforeā€¦ or you will have to make something like JBV-music or something could complicate web promotion afterā€¦

NB: @previewlounge I think concept like mister OIZO is over (Teddy bear thing) :slight_smile:
I thinkā€¦

1 Like

although a dot com name is important for businesses, it isnā€™t something i think about when designing a band name, not sure why.

hmmm maybe JBV then.

in a hand drawn oblong rectangle like Hundertwasser would do when signing his artworks

Why not be something from another planet, something created from the ground up who not existā€¦
Something you like to be in a different world :wink:

Becoming something else, another entity is quite cool.

quite possibly, although this furry creature thing doesnā€™t move, so, kind of original lol ā€¦

haha it was merely an afterthought ā€¦ $9 on sale.

1 Like

Anyway you seem to have FUN and thatā€™s exactly what itā€™s need to be primarily :
HAVE FUN !

1 Like