Coming soon

Just bought a 2nd machinedrum recently. 32 channels of 12 bit goodness.

Sadly nothing since really replaces Elektron’s high water mark piece, but my teenage son might use something like this. It does have a market. Good luck to 'em.

1 Like

I can’t say I’ve ever seen an Elektron product draw so much negativity. Hell, you’d think it was a new Roland box, by how much contempt it has garnered already (smirk). I have to say, when the first pic was posted here, I honestly thought it was just someone making a joke, and I did laugh at it. I’m still in disbelief. Underwhelmed doesn’t quite say it.

I seriously hope this is an epic fail for them, so they can chalk-it-up to a lesson learned and get back to making professional, high-end instruments. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there’s money to be made in entry level boxes, but this is neither as cheap or as savvy as, say, an Electribe or a Volca, and I personally think it brings the brand down a notch. Sufficed to say, it’s definitely not for me. I find myself concerned about the direction Elektron is heading in here…

Cheers!

3 Likes

Were you here for the Analog Heat reveal?

5 Likes

A few “bangers” and clever Youtubing and they will sell well.

And that’s good news for everybody. We do want our other Elektron gear being serviced for many moons to come. The company needs money to do so.

Let’s party.

4 Likes

I just wanted to say that my friend uses the Z this way and seems to be very happy with it. Also, I have sneezed some surprisingly nice usable sounds out of the somewhat limited synth and sample engines. We can discuss more on the OP-Z topic though.

1 Like

Let’s hope so. Although, I never had a need for the app. I just read the manual and watched a couple of videos.

2 Likes

Tomorrow. <3

1 Like

:grin:

1 Like

It’s telling that one knob per function is even possible on an Elektron box. Speaks to the way the feature rich nature of machines from years gone by have been distilled down to their most fundamental, which is cool in a minimal kind of way, but also limiting in terms of sound design. It’s hard to say with the Mkii flagships whether or not they’re facelift symbols of a style of machine that used to exist, and to be fair still does, or whether it points to more deep tools down the road. I still like portability and compactness, and to be honest of all things an Octatrack with Overbridge would be amazing. But with the M:S, this is like, divisional Elektron, multiplying the Digitakt by 0.5 to get a product. But I still wanna see what happens when they go the other way, evolving upward instead of in very limited ways. The Digitone is the most interesting thing they currently sell from the modern era imo.

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s a significant degree of investment that goes into each knob that they put on their machines. They have to hit a certain price that people will pay for on the machine and how much money they can get from that.

To determine the right amount of knobs that makes it universally applicable to every compartmental element of a machine is a tricky balance to have. That said, if they make a Digitone Keys- it would be nice if they splurged and out more knobs on the machine and combine some of the menus

1 Like

Yes, sorry. It started as a direct sequencer comparison to the Elektron method which I think was relevant to this topic, but then it got a bit carried away. Thanks for help keeping this all organized and sensible.

2 Likes

I agree. A DigiKeys seems like a logical next product from them in their current strategy, as a new flagship. Digitone plus Digitakt plus a keyboard. I’d buy it. Haha

3 Likes

I don’t know about throwing the Digitakt into the mix. I don’t know how that could be organized into one device. But the ability to sample the synth portion of the machine internally would be super cool.

“It’s good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that and I know. But lately, I’m getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over.“

• Tony Soprano
2 Likes

Yeah I just mean like in an Ar2 kinda way

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel completely disappointed with the vector Elektron is moving along. The company that was able to make a deep machines such as OT, MD, A4 is releasing some sort of cut down version of DT. For who? For entry level noobs? C’mon, I just wasn’t able to imagine what could be simpler that DT. And now we have it. They’re just hitting the territory of all these tine volcas, TE and roland boutiques in order to grab more money from noobs while still being able to make professional musical instruments (still).

But I still hope they’re not into this road completely, so will wait for the other announcements. C’mon Elektron, the NAMM hasn’t started yet, I believe you have some other stuff to announce, something more serious and professional :slightly_smiling_face:

The notion of a serious instrument is a myth.

But also, yeah, I hope they release more at NAMM, hahaha

1 Like

my digitakt has it

If I had a dollar for every person in this thread who said they won’t be buying this box, I’d have enough dough to buy one myself. I can’t believe I have read almost all the posts here. I’m done with all the sour grapes. Be glad Elektron is still pumping money into R&D in this tough economic climate. Elektron releases a mkII, people complain. Release a new piece that no one saw coming, people complain. Sheesh.

6 Likes

Tough economic climate?

You do realize that the opposite is true right now, yeah?

And not much r and d on slapping a DT engine (AR hierarchy) into a new box.

2 Likes