:elot: Comb Comp Contest!

Live recording only, p-locked recordings.
Some recorders recording ABCD inputs, some recording CUE, some specific tracks, T8 recording MAIN for the whole track.
I use the 8 recorders ! :loopy:

Another tryā€¦

1 bar, 7 tracks + T8 as master compressor.
lfo designer to change notes.
I canā€™t explain everything, I donā€™t understand all what I did ! :tongue:

20 Likes

How?! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You have got here really nice soundsā€¦
I love the caracter of your comb filter useā€¦

1 Like

Love it.

1 Like

Oh, this is really nice. I love the first one you posted too. Great challenge by the way. Maybe I should give it a try.

1 Like

:aw:
Insanely cool, man!

3 Likes

Do we have to use the comb filter for every sound?

No, you can use compressor only, or no fx, or no sound at all! :slight_smile:

Btw, next lab can be Filter only, Iā€™m too frustrated.

3 Likes

I have a lot of fun right now :slight_smile: Thanks for the input noise trick

2 Likes

My first try

17 Likes

Bravo! Great stuff as usual! Could you detail certain things, and how did you make the song progression? :wink:

1 Like

@ericd I didnā€™t comment because I couldnā€™t hear decently at first, and I hated you because I couldnā€™t use filter anymore #nofilters! :joy:

Iā€™m waiting for another version, really good start!

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

I made a lot of use of your ā€œrate filterā€ and the comb Lp. Lfoā€™s modulate these parameter a lot, since they cause a lot of timbre changes.
The melodies are p-locked comb filter pitches. 3 Tracks with plucky sounds (noise with short amp envelope + comb) and different melodies.
The kick has very low pitch on the comb filter, low rate, inf RTRG with short RTIM and a one shot exponential lfo on Comb pitch. Hihats and snares are one track, only the noise with short amp env and I live recorded automation for Rate and Hold (of the amp env).
Ghost notes with retriggers (trig counts) and trig conditions on melodies, kick and snare/hihat.
The other sounds are long amp envelopes and comb filter. I used all 3 Lfoā€™s for all tracks for timbre changes and panning.

I used the arranger. This is all one pattern with 32 steps (Iā€™m always lazy and rather use trig conditions).
In the arranger I just set 64 repeats for the pattern so it keeps repeating till I change it manually. Then copied the pattern over 10 times and programmed mute states for each row. Itā€™s only unmuting and muting tracks. Recorded into ableton as stereo file. No additional editing.

Hope this wasnā€™t too much detail :slight_smile: I really like these challenges, cause they always remind me how much I like the OT.

3 Likes

And you learn a lot with these things!
Remember the Science Lab ā€œlooping deviceā€!
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but we began with OT at around the same time, almost 4 years ago, isnā€™t it?

Nice!!
Comb Filter = OT synth!

1 Like

Sure I remember. I signed up to this forum because I wanted to take part on this challenge :slight_smile: And it opened my eyes a lot regarding what a sampler can do.

jepp. Got mine it August 2014 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great challenge. I hope to get the time at the weekend to check this out. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, but not only the comb filter. Any tiny sample can be turned into authentic synth sounds. Even easier if we are allowed to use the OTā€™s great sounding low pass filter :wink:

Iā€™m going to have to copy those notes down.

Excellent job on the kicks! I was really wrestling with that.

Great track! Brilliant design! Thanks for the description!

3 Likes