Collider for the iPad

:open_mouth: Don’t give the secret away!
I remember just triggering the randomise on the start of a bar, render to audio after 64 bars, chop it into 64 loops, then drop the loops into Ultraloop (Twisted Tools) to make crazy sequences that the OT can chop and splice into new universes…

I miss the rainmaker so much!

4 Likes

Wow, looks really good, just going try it out on the Mk2 now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just want to say, @mekohler, thanks for the regular updates to the Collider app. The app definitely let’s you dive deep into many parameters at once without all of the menu diving that would otherwise be required on the hardware.

I uploaded a quick video on how to set up Collider and connect it from your iPad to Rytm. I noticed there were a few requests for a tutorial video in this thread, so hopefully this is helpful to some people out there.

I may do some other Collider videos if some people are interested in specific features and functionality.

6 Likes

Is there any update regarding to run OB+Collider at the same time? @mekohler

I was waiting until the final release of OB (which was pushed back) to install it and test. The current requirement listed under HELP is for OB to be OFF. I don’t think it will ever work with OB because IIRC OB hogs the entire USB bandwidth and dedicates it to Audio Streaming.

2 Likes

I see, that would be a shame kind of, do you think if not all outputs are used that might work? As I use OB for audio and would love to have a separate control surface for Rytm.

It would be great if the compatibility would be somehow explained, setting up on PC/MAC for Network session and potentially using that for OB without using the USB port on Rytm for Collider. I can’t find the comment anymore but I’m sure that someone here has written that they managed to get it running together with OB.

I need to see how OB handles MIDI. At the end of the day, it’s just MIDI + Sysex being sent. I’m still waiting on the next OS and OB to get started on that. I forgot to update the App Store description that states OB should be off but I will do that 100% for next week’s version.

1 Like

Great! I think we might have to wait a while for new version though and I would still hope we could still use OB2 when it’s out.

I appreciate it :]

If you guys have any Ideas for sound design / pattern functions or automation let me know. I’m going to work on it this weekend some more.

OT app sounds interesting, but real magic and powa of elektron is the sequencer w its triggs/p-locks. i firmly beleive that the Collider for Analog Four would be same league app as Collider for RYTM. I presume patterns are activated on Analog Four MK2. Any plans going that direction? I think it’ll be relatively simple port of Collider to work with Analog Four, like for RYTM, the A4 app could be sequencer centric, and have patterns. Jus my 2 cents.

I’ve been using collider for abit, and wanted to ask couple of questions:

1. In the Connect menu, i see nothing just 2 scroll views, with selectable header sections, my iPad pro connects to wifi, and works but i never see anything in those views, they always empty.

2. I saw somewhere that there are drum 300+ patterns added, where can i find them?

3. Could you give few short tips on generating drum sequence, i mean i can do it, and see it changed, but would be great to hear your vision/phylosophy on it, does Algo button affects already generated pattern or creates new one from scratch? Could you briefly go over that section primarely: Algo/Drum/Euclid are they all separate, or somehow alter existing pattern? Thanks

1. The Connect menu will show the available MIDI ports on your iPad. “Network” should ALWAYS show up on both tables and should be selectable. Is it not? If you want to connect to your OSX’s Audio Session over WIFI you should select Network. If you are directly connected to the AR or another Interface, their names should appear as well and can be selectable.

2. The “Drum Patterns” button on the Pattern Page. There are 5 categories: Standard, Afro, Funk, Pop, Rock, R&B, Slow, Trap and Random. Tapping a category will populate the selected Sequences with a random pattern of that style (transcribed from drum machine / pattern books). There are over 300 complete Patterns from those books (Each with 12 sequences).

Overview of Population Algorithms:

Cross Rhythms: Choose various random drum patterns (any style) and superimpose them over each other
Rand + RTRG: Random pattern (any algorithm), random lengths, and random Retrigs
DrumPtns + PL: Random drum pattern and add random P-Locks
Euclid + PL : Random Euclid, add P-Locks
Euclid A / B / C: Random Euclid, and apply other random functions (Shifts, Humanization, etc)
Euclid Cascade: Random Euclid, but spread each generated Euclid sequence across multiple tracks, like an Arp
Golomb: random evenly spaced Trigs (see Wikipedia for Golomb algorithm)
Euclid Button w/ Slider. Generate random Euclid Sequences that have a MAX LENGTH of the slider value

*Each algorithm may humanize or apply other minor functions with small probability, but this is their main structure. None of the Algorithms or Drum Patterns are simple EDM / 4 to the floor as that’s easy to dial in yourself.

My current method is to choose a Random Drum Pattern, Cross Rhythm, or a Euclid
Then I go to the TRC / FILLS functions and Add Fills (1 - 2 times)
I’ll add random TRC if the generated pattern is dense
I also never use Swing, as I find humanizing Micro / Velocity gives a much more natural feel and the Swing will sometimes interfere with the groove.

*Add Fill will generate a random Euclid Sequence or pick a random Drum Pattern, turn those Trigs into Fills, and superimpose them with a certain probability over your sequence. So fills aren’t just random, they do contain useful rhythmic properties

That’s my starting point to get an idea going. Now, let’s say I randomly generate stuff and Tracks 1-6 are perfect and just what I want. Then I will go the Main View and hit PURGE. Purge is like a “what you see is what you get button”. Any Tracks / Sequences that you can currently HEAR when you press play on the RYTM will be LOCKED. All other tracks that you can’t hear (maybe they are empty) will be MUTED. Now I can randomize the Entire Kit and Pattern and it’s like mixing in a 2nd drum machine with different sounds / groove. The original pattern / sound is retained because Purge auto-locked it. Since the new Tracks / Sequences were muted you have to manually un-mute them and bring them into your mix.

Make sense?

No plans for the A4 as I don’t own it. I am eyeing the Digitone since it can export / import complete Sysex like the RYTM, but I am waiting on the new OB and OS updates across the board before buying. The OT app is done, just making it pretty.

Let me know if you have more questions or ideas!

3 Likes

Say what?! Care to give us a bit more details? :aw:

I’m still on the look for something that would allow me to sync song modes (and Arranger) across OT, AR and A4/AK but I guess that’s not possible, right?

Don’t think so :frowning:
OT has no Sysex since it’s all stored on the Card. My app is just a smart Randomizer / Morpher for the Audio CC parameters, as that’s all I have access to. It’s been super useful so far, but nowhere near as comprehensive as Collider.

I think someone recently released a Mac / PC app that controls all Elektron devices. It’s 80 bux though, and I’m not sure of the features. I can’t find a link at the moment (it’s not OctaEdit). Edit: http://www.malfunkn.com/Octatrol/

Ah ok - I’ve seen that one and emailed him about this but no reply yet - we’ll see.

In any case, will surely go for your OT app :).

1 Like

hey, thanks alot for you detailed response. i studied the pattern page, and i see the Drum Patterns button(between Random and Rand TRC labels), but when i press it, i dont see Categories, it just populates the random drum pattern. Should I be able to see/pick category(Afro, Funk, Pop, Rock, R&B, Slow, Trap)? Actually Tapping anything from that line of buttons(Drum Patterns, Algorhythmes, Euclid) generates pattern righ away, w/o and subsequent selection options. Am I doing something wrong or its designed that tapping those will populate right away, and all these random options are pulled out of pool of 300+ patterns? Thanks again

Swipe up or down on those areas to change then hit the button below to trigger. Maybe I need little arrows to make it apparent. You can only choose Genres now, as having the entire detailed list was impractical.

1 Like

thanks a ton, is there a concept of selecting one step row and adjusting length of a single row? i see measures above length button but it affects entire sequence?

The functions below will affect only the Selected Rows (the rows in Gold). If you want to affect the Length of just Sequence 4 & 7, then only have those 2 Sequences selected, choose a function above the “Length” button, and then trigger the function by hitting that button. You can hit the top menu button “Tips” on the Pattern Page to get some explanations.

Remember, you need to manually send the Pattern, as the Sysex is too large to just update after every single change the user makes. Kit and Sound functions are auto-updated as the Kit Sysex is small.

*R&B genre might crash, that fix will be out next week

2 Likes

@mekohler you are the man!