Collider for the iPad

Hey, not the slightest shadow on you here - just wanted to clarify that :). You’ve created what seems to be a monster of an app and your continuous updates show a devotion extremely rare in, I’d say, all product design I’ve encountered.

Also, it could be that I’m just stupid and that the cable does work - need to try again :).

1 Like

Anyone had experience with Collider and AR Mk2 yet?

If not, I’m getting one in a week or so, so can test it :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

Let me know. Will update to the new OS once it’s public. Have something for the Octatrack about to come out now :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Oh no.

:black_heart:

Will do, in fact I’m getting the AR mk2 tomorrow, so will update you in the next day or so.

Hmm, software for Octatrack, I’m selling my OT mk1 at the moment, but if the app is anything like Collider, then I may think twice…

Any plans for a Digitakt app?

Actually, another quick question Mekohler: do you reckon Collider may have a chance of working a little more quickly given the faster USB speed of the AR Mk2?

Octatrack doesn’t have sysex so you can’t control Patterns over MIDI, only CC-controlled parameters…but I still find what I made useful. I got the OT MK2 a few weeks ago :dancing_men:

DT and Digitone also don’t support Sysex :frowning:, but I think the Digitone will be worth having some intelligent environment to auto-program various FM sounds and styles. Unless they open up the DT to Pattern Sysex manipulation I probably won’t get that or do anything for it

1 Like

I don’t know, I think it has to do with the fact that the AR “activates” the data I give to it in it’s own scheduling system, to keep things in time and flowing. My app is sending stuff pretty much immediately…at least that was my thought the last time I tried making things happen ASAP

Thanks, we’ll find out tomorrow :slight_smile:

Understood and fair enough dude :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the OT app, when’s it landing?

Will hopefully submit this week, then post on the OT forums shortly after

3 Likes

Good news, Collider seems to be working almost 100% in AR mk2 from what I can tell, I’ve not done any in depth testing but all appears yo be okay.

The speed in which AR mk2 receives the messages appears to be the same, perhaps a tiny bit quicker - but I could be imagining that…! ;D

Cheers

4 Likes

Hi gang,
ive connected rytm over Audio/Midi setup with RYTM MK2, and love the flexibility and amazing set of UI controls. Couple of questions(@mekohler):

1. When I generate kit on the main page tapping KIT button on the right do i need to send it to RYTM by pressing “SEND KIT” little red button in top left of the screen? Same with pattern, could it be set so it sends it to RYTM automatically?

2. When I’m on the fourth page(from left) where patterns are displayed, when i press “Drum Pattern” inder random, i see the pattern is changed, do i need to press “SEND PTN” on top left to send pattern to RYTM? can it be done automatically?

3. is there advantage using RYTM with cable to connect to iPad over wifi? I find it sluggish and sometimes unresponsive?

Thanks

1. Kits are sent automatically. Patterns are not sent automatically because they are a rather large Sysex file and I want the user to make sure they want to transfer it. There is no way to update individual Trigs, it’s all or nothing. The next version will make this clear in the Tips menu and have a notification showing when you Send / Receive.

2. You do need to send manually after generating things with the Pattern Functions, the RYTM will then show “Pattern Received”. Again, all Kit / Sound functions should send CC / Sysex automatically, while Pattern data is ALL explicitly sent.

3. Pattern sending might be a tiny bit faster with a direct connection? I transmit data right away, but the RYTM takes time to check the integrity of it and parse it while keeping things in time. I use WIFI most of the time when coding / testing.

I’m submitting the new app tonight, things will be clearer and more visually defined. The UI should be faster, but the sluggishness you feel with Sending patterns is all due to the size and the fact that the Rytm needs to validate it all. Let’s see how it feels after this week’s update though.

3 Likes

thanks alot for lightning response. so to send a pattern i need to tap(twice) top left “send ptn” text, or there is another button i could use somewhere? would it be possible to have larger button, its kinda hard to hit it.

btw on latest iOS iPad pro with MK2 when im on the pattern mode page(4th from left) on top left there are set of controls “MIX TRK MFX KIT TR SY SM FL AM LF” could you clarify what are those? i wiggled my finger in that area and hear some kit changes, are all those random buttons? the app crashes and quits if i wiggle there for a while(even when not connected to RYTM). same crash and quit happening if i do on the right of the screen across vertical set of buttons “TD PL AF AM RM UL”

are “TD PL AF AM RM UL” on the right buttons, and what do they cause to happen?
are “MIX TRK MFX KIT TR SY SM FL AM LF” on the left random trigger buttons?

thanks alot

1. On the pattern Page you can use the “Send Ptn” button on the Bottom where you select the Banks / Slots or use the Top Menu Item (Send PTN) that is available at all times. These buttons are a little bigger and easier to hit in the new version. The Menu items ask for confirmation because I didn’t want people to overwrite their patterns by accident. I could remove those prompts or make a global “safety” option where certain things like that ask for user confirmation.

2. Those controls, removed in the next version, are just a little toolbar to perform Sound / Kit functions while in the Pattern Mode View…So if you select RND and then tap SY it will randomize the SYNTH Page on all Selected Tracks. It’s too small to be useful and that’s why I’m removing it.

3. TD: toggles the Trig Detail view where you can edit specific Trigs, PL toggles the P-Lock detail view where you can draw PLock values, RM will randomize Track Mutes on Tracks that have Active Trigs on them. The others will be removed in the next version (Auto-Fill Pattern Snapshots, Unlock all Sequences, Auto-Fill Snapshots with Mutated patterns). There was a bug with the “AM” button (Autofill mutated) which would crash. The bug is fixed and the button is removed :stuck_out_tongue:

Every View Mode will have a more descriptive Help Popup in the next version, so just hang tight. This is what the current Pattern Mode will look like:

2 Likes

fire. youre king.

2 Likes

New Update Out:

• UI Update and Optimizations
  • New “Tips” menus
  • Bug Fixes
  • Changed total snapshots from from 16 to 12
  • Added ability to Save / Load Pattern Snapshots
  • Added Quick Save button: autosaves the Current Kit, Kit Snapshots, & Pattern Snapshots (Random name + date)

Remember, the “Tips” change for each View Mode so look there if you have any questions or need help. Some functions have been removed, and others have changed places. In general I think things are cleaner and easier to navigate, although it’s still dense.

In unrelated news, my 2-tier stand finally came in :star_struck:

7 Likes

Wooooooo!
Rainmaker!
I seriously miss mine (capitalism)…

Yeah I love it. I pretty much only use the Randomize trigger on it, don’t even need to program the thing :slight_smile:

3 Likes