Chord-Arps/-Patterns like "Barker" - HOW?

Not sure… I can screenshot the piano roll for you if you like! I only know major and minor so you can work them out :wink:

There’s quite a lot going on there! (this is C-CH.mid)

5 Likes

How are the “-CH” and “-05” MIDI files distinguished from each other? Are they supposed to be stacked and/or used in conjunction with each other for a more complex chord?

Wow this is just amazing! After watching the FACT video I was totally blown away by the sounds and instantly tried to get a Nord Drum 2 :smiley:

Just downloaded the files…do you think this is somehow doable with a Digitakt/Digitone?

1 Like

Its quite simple really. Just a sample chain, with a random bandpass filter.

Sample chains can be anything, any length. Chords included. Since OT has amp and filter envelopes, chord samples can be straight vanilla patches.

2 Likes

would you be so kind as to share an image of the C-05 midi file? I don’t have an OT and the C-CH image you shared was helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here you are, for some reason there are 192 bars of blank space at the start, maybe he explains this in the post?

2 Likes

thank you so much kind human. between this and digging out the mutable rack for the first time in a while, my week is now officially shot. didn’t see anything in the post about the 192 bars of rest. maybe a max richter moment? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I see this happen a lot when I import midi clips into live, where there is a bunch of blank empty space in the beginning of a clip.

I simply adjust the start point of the clip to match where the first notes are. It only takes a few seconds to make the change in live.

I’m not sure if other DAW’s have this issue but I see it routinely in live when using midi clips from splice and other places. Seems like a bug that can easily be worked around.

Ever try this?

Try what? :slight_smile:

“I’m pretty sure you could get close to that sound on the Digitone. No LPGs needed! I’ll give it a try in the next few days.”

Ha, no I never did end up trying that. One of these days…

Barker has a new EP out (just in time for Bandcamp Friday):

5 Likes

I posted this in “Current Sounds Coming From Your Gear” thread, but it may be of interest here, too. I thik this is probably my last attempt at emulating the “Look How Hard I’ve Tried” sound, as I think this is pretty close.

This is a Subharmonicon providing the main sound source, going through a Strega into the Dynamics circuit of an 0-coast to provide the low-pass gate type sound, drums and FX from an A4. One of the elements of Barker’s sound is a sort of “grainy” quality, which I think I finally got here by using the Strega to add quite a lot of noisy artifacts to the clean sound coming from the SubH.

11 Likes

yeah, believe it’s just a need to right-click and crop. Honestly catches me out after over a decade in Live in audio and midi clips - ‘now does it crop to the end point or do I use the loop brace?’

Bumping this because it works really well with the new Digitakt slice machine.

3 Likes

Oooh nice! I’ll have to get my Digitakt out and play with the new OS, thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the bump :thup:

For the record, Octachainer can make evenly spaced grid chains with mono samples… Just saying.

2 Likes

Thanks! I actually downloaded it last night but haven’t had a chance to try it out yet. I’ve never owned an Octratrack so very new to all this, but gonna give it a go this afternoon.