CT-S1000V, singing synth from Casio

Some of you might recognize Rich Formidoni from his days with Korg. Here he answers questions as a Casio product manager. There some demo of the effects and the assignable control knobs. When asked “who is your target market”, he included “experimental musicians”. I’m surprised he didn’t bring up the non-singing professional lyricist/songwriter like Pete Sinfield or Bernie Taupin.

1 Like

Links to timestamps of interest (well my interest, maybe not yours) from the Casio livestream video that was posted earlier:

Demo of less robotic voices - more Mellotronish sound, plus use with arpeggiators

Demo from Indonesia featuring some gamelan sounds

How to turn the onboard speakers off when it’s connected to $5000 Genelec monitors

Benn Jordan releasing music on Github - ok, OT but the idea of putting your music in a repo and letting people branch off of it appeals to some geeks.

Vocals with ring mod and parameter tweaking

Registrations - what they are, using them, etc

Rhythm variations and what DSP FX can and can’t be applied to

2 Likes

Bought. Just got the dispatch notice. Should have it by Monday.

5 Likes

Thanks for putting this together!
I really like what this thing is capable of. The same engine in an elektron digi format would be my dream machine. Right know, its too big and seems a bit too cumbersome with the app for me.

…wow…casio’s coming back !?

my very first intrument was the vltone1…this white pocket calculator mini keyboard thing…
and my first full size keys instrument was some casio vl 501 with brown plasic wood finish…
and within my first electronic band approach, we bought one of their first kind of serious synth…

and if THIS thing would also cover the realtime vocoder terretory, i swear, it would be a no brainer for me… :wink:

With the low price, this could be a candidate for a Heartbreaking Cutdown, turning a keyboard into a module, like i posted about in another thread.

Maybe it’s not possible, and surely a lot of work, but it’s probably less work than porting and adapting open source software to stand alone hardware as i mentioned up-thread.

1 Like

The keyboard chop-off idea might work, but one would have to take a close look at the MIDI implementation chart in the manual to make sure all the functions you want are accessible over MIDI. There seems to be a decent selection of MIDI CCs.

1 Like

There’s nobody here (yet) who deserves this response, but I saw it elsewhere and thought it was hilarious

2 Likes

Honestly, I would totally buy a module of this. Not interested in keyboard plus speakers, but as a module the size of the actual control area? Sure!

3 Likes

I just had this inspiration. Maybe it’s an ignorant and crazy idea.

Would it be possible to do konnakol or padhant on the S1000V ?

2 Likes

I was thinking more or less the same thing, though in my head it was more the Indonesian archipelago variant. I don’t remember the name off the top of my head.

2 Likes

I don’t know padhant but for konnakol you only need Ta, Ka, Di, Mi for the most part. Typing them in should be no trouble.

My pleasure! I didn’t think I’d obsessively follow through the whole video like I did, but I had fun!

Fair enough regarding the size. It appears to be the same footprint as my Casio CT-S1. I’m pondering ways to wall mount it in such a way that I can switch between the two without too much risk of dropping either one.

1 Like

I love my Yamaha PSR-SX600. It’s not placed near my synths, but in another corner of the room. When I use it, I use it completely autonomously. For finding ideas or just playing around with it. It’s fun in a completely different way than controlling synths and samples with my Digitakt.

For me, it is very important that the levels of the individual style parts are adjustable (or at least muteable). Thinning out the accompaniment helps immensely and takes away the dubious character of arranger keyboards :stuck_out_tongue:.

Unfortunately, the new Casio keyboard doesn’t seem to be able to do this.

I think that’s called Gamelan Mulut or Gamut.

I had to look it up,

Watch this :

There’s no way i could do this myself ( short of several years practice ) but if i could program a synth to do this, or anything similar, that would be cool. Same for me with konnakol.

I bet either of these ( konnakol or gamut ) would also be challenging for any singing synth, the S1000V or any of the software alternatives.

1 Like

Fair comments.

I was advised by Casio’s Mike Martin that for some customers, the CT-X3000 or 5000 might be a better fit. These have 42-channel mixers and onboard editing of user rhythms - neither of which appear in the feature list or manuals of the CT-S1000V or S500.

As best the 1000V lets you make a multitrack sequence, which includes accompaniment and manual playing, then set levels of individual tracks. You could also load user rhythms from USB drive, but I’m not clear on what you would use to create and edit custom user rhythms, other than buying a CT-X keyboard and exporting from that.

This Konnokol book is pretty good. Comes with audio so even if reading the rhythm notation is a struggle, you can still try learning by ear.

Yes! Thanks. That’s it. Cool video too!
I had a short phase long ago where I tried to mimic some of that style but with samples (early korg es1 days) with marginal success. Sometimes with samples of my own voice, sometimes with really rudimentary voice/ phoneme “synthesis” samples (speak&spell, sega games, etc).
I think it would be hard to pull off with this new Casio offering but I’d love to try it.

1 Like

A predecessor but not a competitor is the Yamaha VKB-100 which came out in 2018, and was shown at Superbooth that year.

It is in the form of a keytar, and uses the Yamaha developed Vocaloid technology, with loadable voices. They used the same body later on for the Sonogenic SHS-500, which was designed for a more international market, and lost the vocal synth part.

This is a pretty good demonstration, with two being played in a duet, as i believe it is monophonic.

I see it can still be bought on eBay US, and ships from Japan.

Delivery guy just left. Waiting to unbox this thing tonight after I finish work. :slight_smile:

7 Likes