CT-S1000V, singing synth from Casio

The other three videos in this series are good too.

For instance video two shows how to delay or lead the tempo with the vocal in Phrase Mode, and video four shows how to use the arpeggiator with vocals.

1 Like

I was corrected on this point. The CT-S500 will in fact include as WU-BT10 as well.

"Use the included WU-BT10 Bluetooth MIDI/audio adapter "

I thought I saw “optional” instead of “included” when I looked at the product site yesterday.

https://www.casio.com/products/electronic-musical-instruments/casiotone/ct-s500

:rofl: Okay, is this a well known house music phrase? I actually really never listened to house music.

I like the concept a lot but I have a problem with gear that doubles the keyboard keys as control buttons. They’ve wasted a square metre of perfectly good button/control space for those useless speakers. Hence every button and pot has 27 different functions and even that is not enough as you need to press certain keys to up the tempo etc.

Then again my V-Synth XT does kind of the same thing as this Casio and that one I already own, so no gas new year still going strong.

1 Like

It’s an arranger keyboard that happens to have vocal synthesis.

Definitely a dealbreaker for anyone who does not want an arranger keyboard and just wants the synth part. I’ve been tempted to start an arranger keyboard thread but I know it’s just going to attract too much noise.

2 Likes

An arranger keyboard thread, interests me too, but you’re right about adverse reaction. Like a feature comparison would be useful. Is there a way to do a PM list by invitation ?

1 Like

Looking in the back of the manual on pages EN-351 and EN-352, Casio lists copyrights for five open source libraries for vocal synthesis and vocal singing. A considerable amount there lists work done at the Nagoya Institute of Technology, and the Tokyo Institute of Technology. There are web links there if you would like access to the code.

One of the copyrights is for Sinsy, ( wiki page on Sinsy ), which takes a MusicXML file and generates a WAV file. Supposedly there is an on-line version of Sinsy, to create singing audio. Sinsy only supports Japanese and English, though there is a Mandarin version as well.

ADDED : Someone with the skill and with a significant amount of work could probably port some combination of this code to run on a computer like a Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

I’m interested in an arranger thread/DM group. Roland was very wise in marketing the Jupiter Xm as a pile of synths with an Intelligent Arp rather than an arranger keyboard, but I’m pretty sure it’s an arranger keyboard for us. I would like to smash my ignorance on this topic.

Yes !!! I’m quite unaware as well.

Yeah that is the trouble for me… like if they had just put all the effort into making a pure vocal synth it would have been way up my alley, as it is I am sure it would be fun but not really something that would make sense in my studio space. Feels like a bit of a half step, maybe it will like some fire under yamaha to put out a proper hardware version of vocaloid. Then again I am not totally sure hardware vocal synths really need to be a thing considering there are a lot of things about them that makes far more sense on a computer.

I wish they could have made it look as nice as the CT-S1.

No:

3 Likes

Found this list of seven computer based software packages that generate sung lyrics, that are alternatives to Sinsy.

https://alternativeto.net/software/sinsy/

ADDED :

The seven software alternatives to Sinsy :
  • VOCALOID
  • DeepVocal
  • Emvoice
  • UTAU
  • Chipspeech
  • RenoidPlayer
  • eCantorix
2 Likes

This guy is a challenger to Jukka for the title of Supreme Geek Over the Voice Technology. He went and looked up every single piece of software technology he could find on this thing.

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/casio-speech-synthesis-technology/

3 Likes

Thanks for that link GovernorSilver ! I feel honored by the title, but Paul Drongowski, is the real deal. ( I actually had followed the links in the Casio manual, and peeked at the code, but figured best to hold all that detail out of my post. )

In the link you gave, toward the bottom, he has another link to a list of recent Casio Patents relative their musical products. Also he details the technology they use in their products, like the custom LSI processors, etc. Impressive engineering and design !

1 Like

Spooky performance utilizing the Ghost voice setting and incorporating live human vocals

3 Likes
2 Likes

Following on now for a trio of performance videos. Here’s a pop song from the Kazakh electronic dance music producer Imanbek performed with the S1000V.

At 35 seconds notice the use of the “Death Voice” ( ? ), chording in the lower register a “threatening” nonsense phrase. That’s the start of the sorts of vocal incantation usage i might expect with a S1000V.

EDITED.

1 Like

Some of you might recognize Rich Formidoni from his days with Korg. Here he answers questions as a Casio product manager. There some demo of the effects and the assignable control knobs. When asked “who is your target market”, he included “experimental musicians”. I’m surprised he didn’t bring up the non-singing professional lyricist/songwriter like Pete Sinfield or Bernie Taupin.

1 Like

Links to timestamps of interest (well my interest, maybe not yours) from the Casio livestream video that was posted earlier:

Demo of less robotic voices - more Mellotronish sound, plus use with arpeggiators

Demo from Indonesia featuring some gamelan sounds

How to turn the onboard speakers off when it’s connected to $5000 Genelec monitors

Benn Jordan releasing music on Github - ok, OT but the idea of putting your music in a repo and letting people branch off of it appeals to some geeks.

Vocals with ring mod and parameter tweaking

Registrations - what they are, using them, etc

Rhythm variations and what DSP FX can and can’t be applied to

2 Likes