C&G Organelle M is brilliant!

really pleased to see you enjoying the Organelle :slight_smile:

I agree, as you stated in your first post … I think the included patches are very playful, fun, yet playable, and rather different from what one might expect.

This does make the organelle a little difficult to describe, whilst it can be ‘different’ and can be experimental … I do also pick it up to play more ‘standard’ patches ( like Rhodey, Analog Style),
but if that was your only requirement… there are lots of synths that could do that.

for those that know Simon the magpie’s channel… have you noticed how he often is picking up the pocket piano, whenever he wants to try things out.
thats similar to how I use my organelle… its the thing I pickup whenever i have an idea, or i want to test an FX.
whats cool about the M, is that the speaker and batteries make this even more the case now :slight_smile:
(I used to run the Organelle-1 off a USB battery bank, but it was an ‘extra thing’)

this is a good idea… though, it’s unlikely you’ll ‘bork it’ by installing patches.

what I try to do, is to keep on my computer a ‘backup’ of any special patches, or samples, as these are the things that could potentially be lost.
that said, Ive never been in the position where ive not been able to boot my organelle, or be able to get to the my files … and I go ‘off-piste’ quite regularly with my organelles :wink:

5 Likes

Curious how the Organnelle is compared to the Empress Zoia, Axoloti and Nord modulars?

1 Like

I’ve used all of those and still have the Zoia, Organelle is not quite as easy to program being based around pd, so it isn’t quite “drag and drop” it is sort of halfway between a virtual modular and a programming language, however there are tons of pd tutorials and examples so in that sense it is probably more widely supported than any of the aforementioned.

Capability wise it is probably more powerful than Zoia, and certainly has a better UI for keyboard based instruments with its keys and knobs, not knocking the Zoia though as it is pretty capable itself.

Obviously I’m definitely not an expert on the Organelle having only had it a few days, but I think it is safe to say if you enjoy the devices mentioned then you will almost certainly enjoy the Organelle too.

Worth also remembering that if you don’t have any interest in creating your own custom patches the built in ones have their own internal editing right from the Organelle controls, in varying degrees.

For example there is a drum synth where you have 4 parameters which can be set differently for each key allowing you to quickly knock up a synthesised drum kit. Or the samplers which have various parameters depending on which one, and of course you can save your own versions, including the samples, settings and parameters. Then there are fx and synths with their own presets etc etc.
Funny because this kind of information isn’t mentioned anywhere, because I was under the impression that stuff like this wasn’t possible without launching the pd editor.

It’s brilliant IMHO, and I have not even scratched the surface.

A cynic could say you don’t need to spend £550 to do what the Organelle does, which is only really partly true, C&G have packaged it all up into a tidy little instrument and built a nice little community around it, you could make your own version but if you don’t have the desire or patience or time to get into DIY then it offers a ready to go, pick up and play experience, that is where the value is IMHO.

2 Likes

How long does it take to switch patches. This means computer use?

Nope, it can be done right from the Organelle, takes about a second or two.

Existing topics on these subjects:

Also, more general discussions:

5 Likes

Automatonism makes Pure Data feel a lot closer to a Nord Modular. Not quite 1-to-1, but close enough that it becomes way more user friendly. I’ve been trying to get into Pd and Max on and off for years, and with it Pd finally clicked and I feel comfortable making pretty complex patches.

I’m still trying to figure out how to get synth sounds I really like because to my ears a basic osc-env-filter based synth doesn’t sound as good here as it does on the Nord, but you have access to a ton more features in terms of sequencing, audio manipulation, and sampling/mangling. Maybe they sound better on the Organelle, or maybe it uses better patches?

Still, being able to easily drag and drop modules with Automatonism has gotten me to start using Pd and from there I’ve been able to learn more. It also has some Organelle specific modules which seem pretty useful as well. Can’t recommend it enough.

5 Likes

Fair, the Organelle analog synth style patches are not going to worry Nord or really any dedicated VA, but they are certainly usable if not in a starring role perhaps, depending on context. For minimal techno type stuff, synth pop, chip tune style things though, no problem. There are also some other synthesis types like PM, FM, additive and whatnot.

Thanks indeed, I will check that out.

Thanks for the input! All interesting in their own ways.

I’m a happy/heavy G2 user. I’ve also played a bit with an axolito. Main downsides of those (and the Organnelle) is the need too hook up a computer for patching. Althoug the UI of the G2 (keys) is perfect for daily use.

1 Like

orac allows a certain amount of ‘re-patching’ in a modular sense, directly on the organelle.

strictly speaking the organelle does not need a computer for patching, since you can just plug a tv/monitor and keyboard/mouse directly into it for PD patching.
(you even could theoretically edit the PD patch on an iPad, via wifi and vnc, though I doubt its practical :wink: )

I think once you get to more serious patching, you need a reasonable size UI to actually see whats going on, and to make it comfortable … and often when your developing such patches, its unlikely you’re doing in ‘on the move’.

so whilst I do get the appeal of doing in all on the box, I think in practice is not as useful as it might at first seem.

Zoia is really interesting, I think its gone about as far as you can stretch this…
but even there, for many its not that easy, and esp. to adapt an existing patch since you cannot get an overview of whats going on, hence why many have asked for some kind of ‘editor’
( note: Im planning on buying the Zoia Euroburo, so can me as a Zoia fan :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

Yes you’re right about this. And indeed the reason people asking about an editor for the zoia (although i’m alse very interested in the euroburo…)

I have a few generative patches for Organelle + some FX!
https://patchstorage.com/author/werle-kyle/

Here is a video of LIGHT-CYCLES!

4 Likes

I love your patches! Gel Prism in particular :+1: great stuff!

1 Like

Gotta love it!

I’m considering getting one of these primarily as an effects unit as this thing seems to give a lot for the money. Is it possible to use the stereo input as dual mono inputs so I can hook it up to two separate sends on my mixer?

Yes, assuming you don’t mind programming it.

Amazing, thanks! definitely something I’ll be getting further down the line.

Orac supports dual mono, out of the box :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aha, awesome!

I messed with Orac briefly last night for the second time, it is pretty amazing and quite intuitive, though still stumped by a few things like how to add new orac compatible patches in and assigning modulation to the actual parameter in a patch. It was late and I was tired though.

But incredible potential here, for me not being a “computer guy” Organelle with Orac seems too good to be true, none of the hassles I dislike about using modern desktop operating systems but many of the advantages of software tools.

Seems like as good a compromise as I have ever experienced, it feels like an instrument not a computer yet has the flexibility which things that I tried before did not.

3 Likes