Bought a Nintendo Switch

Downloading SNES stuff now! TWO MINUTES LEFT

A (legal) PORTABLE, SUPER METROID

hnnnngggg

2 Likes

I bought a wii for 30 quid and modded it into an emulation machine. More retro games than I’ll ever be able to play, it does like every old console up to GameCube era and loads games from usb. highly recommend it. Spent a lot of time on SMW lately

2 Likes

@jb so classic…

If anyone here hasn’t picked up Astral Chain yet, just go buy it. So awesome I’m reeling.

3 Likes

Dude. They included some real winners into this list.

I played SMW, Yoshis Island(what a beautiful and fun game, it’s a shame it didn’t get its proper appreciation back in the day), and I’d heard such good things about A Link To The Past so I decided to give it a go- it is a much prettier game than I was expecting.

What a good day this turned out to be!

DUDE you haven’t played Link to the Past?

Like…Second or third best Zelda game imo. My favorite is Breath of the Wild…Wind Waker is up there too.

2 Likes

Seconded. Glad you’re correcting the errors of your ways @Ryan :smile:

3 Likes

Haha uhh yeah I mean a bunch of amazing games just got slam-dunked onto your switch, such a good day, I’m crazy pumped.

1 Like

Another vote for Astral Chain. This game is amazing. The graphics are 10/10 and perfectly optimised for the Switch. Have been playing handheld with some Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros - pure bliss.

1 Like

Definitely picking up Astral Chain soon. My problem is I want to get a physical copy of it and my local store was out.

Do you all get digital or physical games these days?

1 Like

I usually get digital but I’m having second thoughts as I recently bought Super Mario Maker digital and realized it totally wasn’t for me…So there goes 60 bucks. Can’t sell it back or nothin’. Have no desire to make my own levels (I make my own music! I play video games to NOT make things). Though I had fun playing other people’s levels, I just don’t give enough of a damn.

So yeah I may go back to buying physical unless I know for sure 100% it’s a game I’m gonna love and I want it pre-loaded for me. Like whenever Bayonetta 3 comes out…

2 Likes

Yeah, resale is a thing. Also you get the feeling things like Astral Chain and Breathe of the Wild will be collectors items one day.

Astral Chain maybe given P*'s record. Breath of the Wild–no way. Too many copies of that game out there. The only thing that makes something “collector’s” is rarity :man_shrugging:

I have Bayonetta 1+2 on the WiiU and once upon a time that game was worth like 70 or 80 bucks. I thought about selling it but wanted to hold onto it for collector’s sake…Well now it just sits in a box never to be played and the price plummeted like crazy. What’re ya gonna do?

Cartridges all day.

So what’s the deal with Astral Chain. To me it seems like just nice graphics but I expect im missing something. And it’s only like 20 hours?

oh wow, I just googled those cans and they are worth more than my switch and all it’s games. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

20 hours is long lol. At least in my world. I generally like games 8-10 hours at the most…Lean toward indie games that are like 5 or 6.

The length doesn’t matter all that much to me if the experience is good. Some games are too long, some are too short.

2 Likes

LoF was a nice game, happily played it twice. So I’m trusting you and adding Observer to my watch list, for when I have time.
Best walking simulator: Everybody’s gone to the rapture

1 Like

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by BotW in that an AAA priced game should have 300+ hour playability.

Hollow Knight is 60. I was kinda of disappointed with HLD and Transistor playtime.

1 Like

Man I’ve been addicted to Splatoon 2 lately.
Just purchased a switch when they released the updated battery version and bought a bunch of games but can’t get away from Splatoon lol.
Still have FE: Three Houses sealed collecting dust.

People generally don’t have the time or commitment for that kind of investment these days. 20 hours is generous on the whole. Look at Sony’s AAA output for main story line length. The Last of Us is 14 hours or so.

Only two games have had me invest more than 50 hours in past few years. BotW and Dark Souls.

4 Likes

Deadly Premonition has just been ported to the switch. man, what a game. the best sh*t game ever :slight_smile:

In related but slightly off topic news I just got oculus quest. its so good. the first proper consumer vr unit imo. the rift, vive n psvr being tethered don’t cut it for me. quest is the real deal. and its cheap (comparatively). €450.

my favourite thing on it so far, suprisingly to me, is virtual cinema - Bigscreen. wow. First thing to make my jaw drop in vr :slight_smile: