Blade Runner 2049

:raised_hands:

Score by Jóhann Jóhannsson

:raised_hands::raised_hands::pray:

Do you think he hopped on a CS-80?

EDIT: wrong video :dizzy_face:

1 Like

He is a great composer, Esp cially for that noisy and dynamic sound design. However, I am less convincd by the “legacy” part where he seems to pay tribute to the original Vangelis. Hopefully it is just for the trailer and he will get to find his own voice in this opus without too much reminder of the past.

1 Like

Needs to be run through some VHS heads to get the full experience. :ok_hand:

6 Likes

^ he was doing at least part of the soundtrack at Funkhaus in Berlin… friend and me cheekily walked in on a session, there was some reel-to-reel contraption things going on… didn’t hear much tho.

tbh not at all a fan of Johansson’s music for deliberate listening personally, but as film scores it works innit.

///

aaaaanyway, quite ambiguous feelings for this. Villeneuve is capable, the camera guy is great, but Ridley Scott is involved so it’s likely gonna be pretty bad imho. If it’s anything like the trailer, then ugh.

2 Likes

For how many years now have they been out of original ideas? Lets remake or do prequels to prequels followed by 8 sequels and another line of prequels? Does nobody know how to write an original story anymore?

Just had to share this:

6 Likes

It was stated somewhere that the very first Deckard’s Dream (CS-80 clone) was built for Jóhann Jóhannsson for recording the Blade Runner soundtrack:

http://www.deckardsdream.com/

1 Like

Can’t wait to get my hands on the soundtrack.
Sure, rehashing popular movies is an old trick, but I like the trick so…

like which comes out first or…?

you know Bladerunner’s gonna suck

Well if it was Ridley Scott directing Id agree as hes definitely lost it in the last decade. But its Denis Villeneuve, who’s directed some good stuff in the last few years so Im holding out hope it will be decent :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Idk, my movie partner says the same thing but I’m thinking it might be ok.
My only fear is that it gets too actiony without a new and profound ideological thesis argument :wink:
But I kind of agree, it probably won’t be as good as the original (agato)

2 Likes

That was my biggest concern after seeing the trailer, honestly. MOAR guns (and asplosions), less thinking (and Admiral Adama)

Also, how long before these posts are split into a BladeRunner 2049 thread? :blush:

1 Like

I do have faith that Villeneuve won’t make it into a hack job it might have otherwise become; I was disappointed with his adaptation of Story of Your Life (ripped all the soul from it). I don’t think Ford would have signed on if there was any indication it would be. a complete nostalgic money-grabber But, yeah, I don’t think it’ll be anywhere near as good as the original. I’m still seeing it on principle.

COVENANT HOWEVER :rolling_eyes: I’ll wait to hear back from others on that one.

2 Likes

Why would they if we all buy into it.

Unfortunate status quo.

3 Likes

I was the chosen one…
(╹◡╹)

mmmmhmm remember that Star Wars from a few years ago…? yeah me neither :sweat_smile:

feeling similar about Arrival… was the first Villeneuve film I didn’t find very interesting at all… that’s where my main worries for Blade Runner are coming from…

and yeah Covenant… maybe it’s at least accidentally funny like Prometheus

2 Likes

He only signed on on the condition they would kill off Solo.

Anyway I’m giving it one more chance (Looper was sick) and if they don’t pull through, I’m out.

1 Like

Blessed are you. :innocent:

3 Likes

I agree completely, but films makers of the last 40 years have been fortunately tapping into 100+ years of sci-fi and fantasy literature for inspiration.

There have been some very original films produced of late (again often adapted from books), but they seldom receive any where near the same degree of expectation from an audience or marketing from corporations as Alien, Bladerunner or Terminator.

2 Likes