Blade Runner 2049

When movies like Blade Runner 2049 come out, I’ve been known to say similar things, however as Kalimari stated, they just don’t pull the massive crowds who love nostalgia re-hash flicks.
All the parents wanna take their kids to see the new thing in hopes of sharing their youth.

Granted these are not all “original,” yet they are not sequels or reboots, and I’m only listing a few sci-fi films.

Moon
District 9
Ex Machina
The Arrival
Sunshine
Under the Skin
Interstellar
Live Die Repeat
Monsters
Primer
Contact

I’m highly skeptical about Blade Runner, it looks and sounds beautiful, but my instinct tells me it’s going to suck.
After reading an old interview with Riddley Scott about Alien, everything he hated about the movie was everything I thought made it great. Prometheus was awful story wise, but what do I know, the whole audience seemed to be there just to see some xenomorph shots.

5 Likes

Right. And it’s not like those classic they’re rehashing…there are SO many to choose from. Only a couple, after all, which is the usual ratio of classic to crap in any given era.

I’m sure from that list one or two will have legs to the future.

Moon, Primer and District 9 are in my top list of sci-fi movies :smiley:

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any of them. I’ll check 'em out.

Under the Skin is brutal.

2 Likes

Primer is short, like 1h17 short.
Perfect to get watched two times in a row :smiley:

2 Likes

It sounds like I need to see Primer and Under the Skin. I still can’t stomach the fact that they redid Ghost in the Shell.

But yeah, that synth project known as Deckards Dream. That looks the business and has what must certainly be the best synth name of the 21st century, especially given the connection in this case.

2 Likes

JuanSOLO, you referenced many of the films I had in mind. Many of which are off the radar of most movie goers and some of them will be considered cult classics in due course. Ironically Bladerunner is a film which has increased in popularity since release (a flop at the box office).

2 Likes

Totally, no one talked about Blade Runner like they do now, slow burn I guess.
It was also on the heel of Empire so…
The guy who made Moon has a new movie coming out, Mute.

Not 100% it’s actually a sequel though.
I read an interview with Neil Blomkamp recently, he seemed completely uninterested in a District 9 sequel.

3 Likes

Han Deckard

I haven’t watched probably half the films on the list.
But a few good ones for me are:

Gattaca
Solaris (the original Russian one)
Alphaville

1 Like

Yeah I didn’t even consider wasting my time on it.

Paprika was great.

I’m looking forward to this one a great deal. Villeneuve is on a hot streak with Arrival being one of the top sci fi flicks of recent years. I’m a mad fan of Interstellar but Arrival tops it. I read he might also be getting the Dune gig too.

Anyway, really like the look of the trailer. We all know what trailers are about these days. It seems to make a big deal out of Gosling being “special” so I’m guessing this one will more explicitly touch on “he’s a replicant!” than Ridley’s original did. I always liked the thought that Deckard was a replicant myself but unless they can age I’m guessing that ones out the window!

Definitely! Original Solaris movie and the soundtrack to the remake are awesome, complex and far reaching…

1 Like

Yeah, Mute looks promising. Moon is an enjoyable watch, helped along by Clint Mansell’s soundtrack.

Personally, I feel District 9 is a strong standalone movie, but directing Elysium and Chappie probably absorbed Blomkamp’s momentum for the project, wouldn’t be surprised if there was a remake eventually.

Yeah! Hope they keep the Replicant reference ambiguous (if not unintentional) like the original.

Going to watch BR2049 at the cinema, but hope the soundtrack moves away from the themes of the original than indicated by the trailer.

2 Likes

BTW, did you know he’s Bowie’s son ?
:sunglasses:

1 Like

OH YEAH!
I always forget that detail.
SO RAD

This is what I am wondering too.
I just feel like that’s going to be the entire point of this movie.
Every main character is a replicant, and there going to explain away all the mystery from the original film,
similar to the midiclorians :worried:

:rage:

Indeed.
And at the end of the movie, we realize we’re all replicants !

I don’t see how they can avoid dirtying the memory of this cult movie… :sweat::scream::sob:

1 Like