Bitwig and OverBridge

Unfortunately there are no real walk throughs or tutorials to figure out how to set up your :elan: as the soundcard.

1 Like

I will made one explaining from my templateā€¦ how to set it up. on ABL, BTWG and LOGIC. But, as itā€™s based on my computer settingsā€¦ it should not work as expecting : the same on every computer sadly.

Here is what i did.

1. Sent audio from analog four _ rytm, via usb, using overbridge, connected directly to USB 2.0 and 3.0 (tried both).
  2. Enabled bitwig, ableton, or studio one, first testing latency with elektron 4 audio driver, then switching over to the internal windows driver for comparison. Sound passing through to headphones using windows drivers OK at specific sample rates.
  3. Set sample rates as recommended, started high, moved down low. I used sample rate 64 on my second laptop wthout audio issue but still pulling around 40 Ms.
  4. Set other latency adjustments as directed.

I have looked for approaches by dataline and others on youtube configuring both ableton and overbridge settings
I have scoured the overbridge manual looking for anything I could have missed. I have spent hours configuring my laptops to optimise them.

I have now shut everything down after spending several hours today trying to get something working suitably. It is now at the point where I think overbridge is the issue. I have eliminated all other variables such as 2 different laptops, three different daws, two different usb cables, 3 different driver types
I just ordered overhub yesterday, guess i wont be needing it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips, still getting poor latency when using elektron gear as soundcards however.

Cant really use the the templates as i am on windows.

OK i will put my tutorial method here tomorrow at 4pm. And you tell me if itā€™s change somethingā€¦ But i canā€™t promise anything. What i can promise you is my method is fast to setup, if you not get what i have and itā€™s way worst than me. I guess computer is the problem :wink:

They work on PC based i tried itā€¦
You just have to forget few junk files generated by macā€¦ (ableton and bitwig should open/load)

Another limitation, on windows, you can only have one elektron unit as soundcard at a time. ASIO limitation. When using elektron as a soundcard, you soon run out of track input and output bandwidth. So it is very limited.

You donā€™t need to use Elektron device as soundcardā€¦ you will not get better latency this way
The PLUGIN already passed audioā€¦ you just have to resample what you get from the plugin

What is your computer model and brand ??? please

So what is resampling doing? Just recording audio essentially?

resample, record the audio from the plugin. If you pass audio through the device as a soundcard latency is around 30ms. If you resample, audio from the plugin you should get better timing

I have a dell se 17r with 8 gig ram, i7 8 core (older machine). This handles the sample down better surprisingly.
I have a HP, not sure the model, but is runs i5 6300 quad core, 256 SSD, 8 Gig ram
The HP is about 2 months old.
Both have med - high end graphics cards, nvidia.

If its a recording, its not live. so you are matching after the fact? Sorry i am new to this, but it doesnt sound ā€˜liveā€™ to me. I may as well just record sounds into a DAW the old fashioned way.

Can you explain me what do you expect from Overbridge, Bear in mind this ā€œLiveā€ notion you mention just now ?
@Cosmic What would you like to do with the computer and Overbridge at the end ?

You just have to see Overbridge as what it is : a VST passing everything from your Elektron compatible Overbridge device - Thatā€™s nothing more

I get 14 ms with a MBP yr 2012 2.3 ghz i7. How did you set up your A4 when in soundcard mode? Did you match your buffer size? Did you turn off all your midi in the midi port page? (Ableton live)

I want to primarily record elektron individual tracks into the DAW, then use that recording to overlay with additional tracks from VSTs such as Reaktor 6.
Would an external audio interface help in this situation, such as a UR22 Steinberg or similar? I would have to record tracks individually and somehow overlay them manually in the DAW.

I expect to play my AR with Ableton live in perfect sync. The only way I could achieve that is with the AR as the sound card.

Yes to both questions.
I just set the a4 to overbridge mode.

If I wanted to play a live set that combined ableton and overbridge, timing needs to be tight, at least under 10 ms. Cant get anywhere near it.

I use driver error compensation -10 giving me overall latency 4ms