Bitwig and OverBridge

Hi William, just on my way to work but will give you some details soon. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi William
I am using a Windows HP With Realtek onboard soundcard windows 10 64 bit.
I am connecting analog four only via overbridge, to both bitwig and ableton.
In ableton, I set up the VST, audio and midi tracks as needed.
I am trying to get audio through speakers, but it is very low and distorted using the standard realtek driver or asio4all driver.
When using an internal software vst the audio is working fine.
I do not have a stand alone audio interface such as a focusrite. If needed I could buy one but just trying to get things connected to verify whether to purchase bitwig or ableton standard.
In bitwig again internal vst working fine. Cannot hear anything from analog 4 via speakers.

Is there any way to test just using analog four as the audio sound card? Is it just a matter of sound being routed back via usb to analog four and using headphones connected there when overbridge is enabled? Just trying to find a way to bypass internal soundcard as it is probably rubbish.

Do you set your analog four in Overbridge Mode ?
How about the metering if you put Overbridge Analog Four plugins on a Instrument track ? do you have something visually moving when you click on play on your A4 ?

What values have you set for Buffer and Safety Margin under Ableton and Overbridge plugin configuration ?
If you plug a headphone on your A4 at the same time as your Overbridge session do you have sound ?

Hi William
Analog 4 is ob enabled.
Meters on overbridge are working, seeing it lit up for all tracksā€¦ Also in ableton little audio meters light up. I have set buffer to 64, 128 on overbridge and similar on soundcard side. I am not sure about safety margin but can set that correctly tonight to 50 or 75
I will try the headphones in analog four tonight as well.

I think it is a laptop driver configuration issue. I also need to go through all the ableton windows settings I.e turn wifi off etc. Will do that tonight.

Not sure what you described can be an error yet already. You need to set the same buffer under in DAW preference and in Overbridge. So if you put 64 buffer under Ableton in audio preferences and 128 in Overbridge thatā€™s a mistake. you should set either as 64 - 64 or 128 - 128
In your case try also 256 - 256
And for safety margin 100
THEN if you have audio we can reduce it all the way before audio start to failed. thatā€™s how we setup a buffer you try with high value then you slowly down until the moment where audio start to drop - introduce noise etcā€¦

Ok will try that too thanks

well i tried connecting bitwig demo and ableton lite. For bitwig, I was getting around 30 ms latency. For ableton, I think 16 ms latency. Ableton seemed to be more successful as I was able to route internal ableton sounds back to the analog 4 successfully and hear them through headphones But I am still not 100 % understanding the whole thing. Bitwig was less successful, as I was unable to hear internal sounds of bitwig sounds back to analog 4.

So you try to use Elektron Device as well as soundcard ?
I will try it tomorrow because i donā€™t work like that.

I used the analog four as soundcard, with headphones plugged into analog four to hear the sound. I cannot hear any sound through my computer otherwise.

You canā€™t plugged headphones on your computer directly ?

Considering the cost and learning curve to integrate with a DAW, and considering the audio issues I am experiencing, I am most likely going to give up on computer integration altogether, and spend the money on more hardware. Too many hours wasted trying to get configuration working, with no guarantee of success at the end.

How do you do before ?

Yep I am getting audio through the headphones via laptop, but I am using the onboard MME-DirectX audio driver.

Just play dawless, no computer.

• I used the analog four as soundcard, with headphones plugged into analog four to hear the sound
  • Yep I am getting audio through the headphones via laptop, but I am using the onboard MME-DirectX audio driver.

What do you want primarily ?

I want to make music on my hardware, then record it into the Daw and introduce new sounds. For example introduce Reaktor 6 track layers into the song.
But I can live without it. Learning all this new technology is reducing hardware play time.

1 Like

Well, interestingly I installed bitwig, ableton, studio one, and compared them all using overbridge 1.15 and analog 4, analog 4 connecting directly to the computer. I could not achieve better latency than around 35 - 45 Ms, often getting up to 55 - 70 ms. I tried this also on my second laptop, windows 10, same result. To eliminate analog 4 as having an issue I connected rytm. same result. I alao tried different usb cables to eliminate a fault with a cable.
I am not sure what else I can do to get suitable latency, considering I have used two computers, 3 DAWS and 2 elektron machines to test this.

Do you report same latency passing audio directly by the plugin, resample the plugin instead of passing audio through elektron device as a soundcardā€¦

Set your internal audio card under ableton. Use resample functionality directly from the plugin
30ms of latency passing audio by the elektron machine as a soundcard is the number generally reported by users i read that a lot. I have tight resample without latency with my method

I bet itā€™s your laptops soundcard causing the latency issue. I used my laptop soundcard with AR and overbridge with terrible results. You have an AR and A4 so you have the advantage of using the A4 as your sound card. All your laptop sounds can be routed through the A4. I use my AR as my sound card with Ableton and sync is no longer an issue for me. I play loops on Ableton with perfect sync to AR! Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out.