Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 10 | Ashford & Simpson - So So Satisfied

Here is my experiment.

It’s very hard for me, I’m watching hours of video about chopping and flipping samples, I try to follow the same workflow (this time with Ableton) but the result are not very satisfying.
So give me feedback, I need it! :smiley:

bye

5 Likes

Ahh yeah man great job! You have a really nice concept laid out I like it! :beers:

I had an idea to try and do some kind of house thing with this, but it didn’t really work out.

4 Likes

@monquixote Your transition at the 1:15 mark is butter and that yeah that follows seals the deal! That’s a catchy groove you have there it works lovely :beers:

1 Like

I’ve a new sp404 that i’m trying to figure out, so this is a great opportunity to join in on the fun, cheers!

4 Likes

@flipinfantile Nice beat! It’s reminiscent of 90s Bay Area hip hop. If you’re trying to learn more about the 404, I’d suggest asking @BLKrbbt because he also has one, too. Also, welcome to the challenge and thanks for sharing sounds with us! :beers:

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re off to a good start.

Not that you asked, but if my chops have a hard cut at the end, I like using the envelope. I only dial in 3 or 4, so it’s not a fade out, but just a smooth transition.

Oh and always press remain to cut on zero point.

2 Likes

That kind of constructive criticism is a gift, thanks yo!

2 Likes

But hard chops are good too, just letting you know you got options.

2 Likes

Another nice varied selection from everyone.
Here’s one I made today, I’ve possibly got the bass filtered a bit wrong listening back now.

Great choice of sample :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Nice, smooth track @Yabba really enjoyed your sample usage and layout! :beers:

1 Like

Cheers buddy

1 Like

A bit of general advice required.

I was having a lot of problems being able to use the chops I wanted because the bass and drums were clashing and in the end I gave up with adding my own bassline which made it sound a bit weak.

How do you guys deal with that kind of thing?

2 Likes

On my one the vocal sample has actually got the drums from the same part completely out of time when mixed with the beat you can hear the snares hit just before the end of the bar not when my snares hit.
It’s just timed so it doesn’t really notice once buried in the mix as the snares sound a bit like ghost notes

The hi hats on the sample chops the vocal is layered over are also out of time but that’s filtered out the best I could and I also filtered out the bass so I could put my own on.

2 Likes

I tried this for the first time… plus a bunch of effects, like space reverb…

On other things that Ive made, I’m still trying out different techniques since I am learning… usually, Ill edit the chop on the down beat… alot of the samples are in 4/4 mostly, but you can go even smaller, and just pull from the start of the kick or the start of the snare, then something later in the cut will fall on a downbeat which allows you to layer in a newer kick right on top…

You could use serrato stems to pull the vocals out of the mix… or koala sampler does it as well… but its mixed results.

also trying to find and acappella off of youtube, and going in fresh arrangement.

I like the challenge of leaving the drums in now… it might be above my skill level, and super frustrating, but its a good learning experience on how to choose which chops go where.

Some producers, like Jake One, especially if he cannot get original sample clearance, will get the label to hire session musicians to re-perform a sample to match it, so he can legally use it… or something like that…

So you could also try to recreate a part of a song from scratch if you got the musicianship to pull it off… I don’t.

I am in the middle of trying to actively figure this out, so this is what I have found to be different approaches… hope it helps

3 Likes

That’s funny, I picked this song for the bass and am having similar difficulty reducing the other background elements. I don’t remember if I already asked you what machine(s) you’re working with, but agree with both @yabba and @BLKrbbt, and I’m just using filters on OT hard with a compressor to beef it up. @natehorn mentioned a cool soft a while back on one of the early challenges that he found/was using for vocal extraction, and not sure if that would be helpful or not on extracting bass/other elements from samples because I haven’t tried it out yet! I’m stubborn with the OT filters haha :baby:

2 Likes

I was using Bitwig

I really liked the bass and wanted to preserve it so I was trying to choose chops which preserved a nice in time bassline, but then it sounded weak so I boosted the EQ, but it still wasn’t fat enough so I ended up trying to double it with a synth, but I couldn’t get the timing bang on so it sounded sloppy.

At that point I got a bit fed up and decided not to do any more with it.

I should probably have used the Polyend Tracker it tends to be more fun for this sort of quick jam.

1 Like

Practiced my scatches on this one a little bit.

@monquixote :beers:

4 Likes

I use Waves Clarity Vx along with a Vocal Rider and some other special sauces - unfortunately it’s an AI trained tool specific to cleaning up vox so wouldn’t be useful for anything else. I my process ssaved as an audio effect rack so I can just turn a few knobs to get vocals where I need them!

Love the breakdown near the end :ok_hand:

1 Like

Quick and dirty :man_shrugging:

@monquixote - On what you were saying about bass and drums from the sample clashing, https://www.stemroller.com/ is the best separation tool I’ve found. It’s not perfect but sometimes usable if you want to isolate certain elements. It stems out drums, vox, bass & the rest. Might be worth a play!

6 Likes