Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 06 | Flying Island - Eddie

Here’s what I threw together tonight

8 Likes

Really nice selection of beats from everyone, and all very different, from the same sample :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s what I love about these challenges, especially here on elektronauts. Everyone approaches the track with their own touch with both shared and unique influences! It’s so neat to witness and be a part of, while getting inspired by other techniques :beers:

@Doug @Symian glad to see you guys were both able to make it here! Nice, gritty beats from both of you, and thanks for sharing! @Doug you legit figured out boom bap, man, props. Dope MVP remix @Symian over here getting the butterflies! :muscle:

2 Likes

Thanks man, glad you like it, I’ll always a have a soft spot for that tune…

1 Like

I just realised the deadline is tomorrow.
So I’ll post what I started last night which is a rough mix and I’ll finish it for myself next week on my time off :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Nicely done sir :clap:

1 Like

Cheers mate, I can hear lots that I want to change in mine.
Yours is really good, it’s got that proper head nod factor

1 Like

Cheers dude I was playing round with sloppier timing and chops to see what happened, same as you I’m gonna see if I can refine it some…

Smooth start to finish, real nice groove :ok_hand:

Sir, shut your mouth. This is great, loved it - you know how I like this kind of sampling :ok_hand:

So much air being moved with that kick it’s addictive. Wicked little groove :ok_hand:

Great pairing - super smooth, really like the turnaround - that little progression loop doesn’t get old. :ok_hand:

Just thinking that myself, there are threads running through but everyone has taken something a bit different from it.

Don’t sound all that rough to me mate - this is moody - stanky!! In a good way, makes me do one of these (this isnt me) :ok_hand:

I hadn’t checked in for a while, awsome to see so much going down.

I’m either hitting the OT tonight or tomorrow morning. I had a busy week and have been dealing with some stuff that’s been keeping me away from a dedicated session but I’m not gonna let this one pass by there’s too much gold in it. This is a high bar though folks!

5 Likes

@natehorn haha thanks man, I had to return one back your way :beers: Hope you get the time to pump something out!

@Yabba agree with Nate my face was similarly positioned while listening, and your beat is delicious, it sounds like some og west coast grooves!

2 Likes

I got another one.

I keep having to remind myself that you can use as little or as much of the source that the song needs.

I went with some restraint and only used a snippet on loop.

I think it’s pretty hard.

6 Likes

10 Likes

It’s all twinkly.

1 Like

:rofl: :beers:
@BLKrbbt your horns gave me such a nostalgic hug!

@1-2 man, dropping little surprises all over the track! When the bass came in the head bob increased significantly :muscle: and that 3:46 drum drop was gorgeous ooof :beers:

2 Likes

Its like butter baby…:+1::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:100: Definitely hits hard! :raised_hands: I’ll always encourage restraint if it allows you more creative freedom - enjoyed this.

@1-2
As I’ve become accustomed with your stuff there is an unusual amount of depth here - tight! The vocal stuff is really well worked in :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’m so glad.

I have to say, it’s getting better using the Sp404 because of this challenge.

You really have to stay on top of it to maintain control of the workflow. Going in and keeping the sequence to 3 or 4 bars, and then duplicating and adding. Then to do a variation, I’ll crop the pattern and build again.

But even this isn’t always true. Every beat is different in workflow. You just have to keep everything short and spread out over 4 or 5 patterns.

2 Likes

I panicked a bit and threw something together - not enough time spent on it, just a sketch really but I did have fun with the sample. More of a remix than anything but those guitar licks are just too juicy

I’d quite like to have another go with it, maybe today maybe tomorrow - but I wanted to make sure I had something uploaded… please be kind :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

That is such an adorable og conversation sample :fire: Also, drums are on point, and the little high hat/ delayed hit (I don’t know if that’s what to call it, my bad) towards the middle is tasty!

Damn. Those guitars.

What if I did ONE more? I feel inspired to do something with the guitars now.

2 Likes