Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Had a duh moment when i remembered i had a reissue rat i could use on the a4,.wow this is a great match. And a very usable filter on it to boot.

I was thinking about selling it awhile back now its got a new home on the desktop. Im running one output through the pedal to the interface, and then the other just straight in. Both panned center and leveled out. So its kind of like a blend and man does it sound nice

1 Like

Best synth to pair with the Digitakt is obviously an Arp Odyssey. All other answers in this thread are invalid. Better than one though is eight synths paired with Digitaktā€¦

Since you mentioned the Microvolt 3900, I stopped by Pittsburghā€™s booth at Superbooth 19 and while i wanted to check out the lifeforms sv1, which was all patched up and seemed cluttered, I actually got a demo of the 3900 by the lovely fella from Pittsburgh Modular.

I told him Iā€™m not looking for omnipresent filter sweeps but something unique sounding for percussive synthesis and also bass.

He showed me a quick demo of 3900 and I must say it grabbed my attention sound-wise, very clean and organic somehow. Although I read online about faders being flimsy, not really the truthā€¦ very well built piece of gear. Lifted it off the table, all metal and rigid.

Sound wise itā€™s just different! Somehow futuristic and organic, there is a filter and low-pass gate mode. I really am thinking about how much you can sample from it into the DT.

BIG NOTE TO SELF: TEST GEAR IN PERSON, LESS ONLINE FORUMS

Also great emulations of vintage synths that are staples in electronic music are available from U-he and Arturia, which I sequence from DT and itā€™s great fun.

Why not buy something futuristic instead? Itā€™s 2019 after allā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks! Seems that the CMS ticks all boxes, for live-rig situations. itā€™s either this or to shell out more budget for an A4 mk1 or mk2.

1 Like

I was making kicks with it yesterday. It can do a HUGE range of kicks, they sound absolutely fantastic.

I think I might do a video on this in a few days.

Yea Iā€™m impressed with the Proteus 2000 (also have a MoPhatt) especially for the price. I got my Proteus for $120 in mint condition a little over a year ago. A lot of usable sounds & a ton of sound shaping possibilities.

A ton of drum sounds too. At first I found them weak/thinā€¦ but realized it made them PERFECT for layering (I mainly layer them with vinyl drum breaks).

The Proteus 2000 ran thru an Analog Heat sounds wonderful too.

Iā€™m routing one of output pairs to the Virus ins and using it as an fx unit, never really used the virus that way but itā€™s great! Another is going through the A4.

I bought a broken mo phatt for very cheap last week, was reportedly just producing white noise. Guessed it would probably be the capacitors on the psu, but it was working fine when it arrived. Will change them anyway Most likely. Itā€™s not a great ROM, but the drums and basses are good. I havenā€™t decide whether to keep it or not yet. Iā€™ve owned a few ROMs over the years, and I think the p2000 Composer is the best really, covers a wide range.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d bother with xl1 ROM again, I donā€™t really need more synth type sounds, but Iā€™d love planet earth for percussion and maybe virtuoso at some point. But they tend to be listed at prices Iā€™m unwilling to pay. Iā€™ve never had those, and would offer something different in the setup. I do have Emulator X3 and have them in there, but itā€™s too painful to use in a DAW with the constant save reminders unfortunately. I should maybe get an old laptop to dedicate to it to treat as a hardware module which is really how it was designed to be used. I wish theyā€™d developed it a bit further to make it DAW friendlier.

If you donā€™t mind my asking, what was the reason you traded Rytm for DT? To me the Rytm kinda seems like a DT on steroids, minus a couple cool DT-only things like ctl-all, etc.

1 Like

Analog 4!!! :heart_eyes:

Early Saturday morning session here after a long week of work, been messing around with my A4 a lot in the past year but this morning, for the first time, I tried the arp (took long enough I knowā€¦it just goes to show how deep of a machine this thing is)ā€¦

How great a synth is this thing!!! Amazing!!! Have a beautiful poly-pad sound going with a good touch of reverb and just enjoying the engulfing sounds of 7th chord arpeggios on the C# minor scaleā€¦getā€™s me high lol.

Just sayingā€¦one box to pair with the DTā€¦A4!

2 Likes

To simplify
But i heavily regret
I buy back tomorrow

Didnā€™t you write earlier here that you were happy about that decision?

The RYTM is the only Elektron box I donā€™t really connect withā€¦

ā€¦Just trying to help out the GAS :wink:

Yes, true

I love digitakt for its directness. It is fast, open, intuitive and sounds good and bright. For me it is the Funniest machine ever
But it lacks the deepness of sound like rytm has

So the fact i bought digitakt is one i am happy with. But selling my rytm was not a good idea.

Tomorrow i have both

2 Likes

Dont want to stimulate your Gas. Digitakt is amazing, and i think you have enough to learn from your A4. I had this rytm for 5 years and accedently sold it.

I think biggest problem for me with learning the elektron boxes
Is that i had too many and didnt accept their deepness. New things in stead of learning A4 inside out is a stupid thing :wink:

1 Like

So true!! Oh boy, Iā€™m a real idiot thenā€¦ :rofl:

I just got an AK to pair with my DT and itā€™s amazing. Second album with Petit Massif is going to be all AK, DT, a few samples from my Roland Boutiques (SH-01A, VP-03 and TR-08), then guitar and vox. Canā€™t wait to get started, but need to finish the first album before going there.

2 Likes

I agree, drums & bass are great on the MoPhatt & the ROMā€™s cost more than I want to pay, so Iā€™m not adding anymore, I have enough synth sounds as well. When I got the Mophatt the only ROM I could find for sale was $160, I bought the MoPhatt for $100, it had a few issues, but the ROM was fine, so I just put it in the Proteus.

Definitely good value for the sounds they come with & what you can do with them.

I would love to hear some of the ways you are using them together!

2 Likes

Cheers! Deliberately not using the AK until the album is done. You can hear DT with the Roland/guitar stuff here tho: https://soundcloud.com/petit-massif

When we eventually play live though, itā€™s going to be all DT, AK and guitar (also processed through the AK) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Nord Modular mk1. The only thing the NM mk1 lacks is a really solid way to sequence it. Digitakt and NM would be so powerful, especially with the sampling/resampling.

1 Like

Hi Sleepyhead,

I recently acquired a grandmother as well and would like to ask you how you connect the Grandmother to the Digitakt. Do you simply sample the sounds and then do everything in the digitakt? I would like to play on the Grandmother live while keeping everything in rythm with the digitakt. How can I align clocks of onboard sequencing of the grandmother to the digitakt. Is Midi enough or do I need audio passthrough? Let me know how you set it up please. Big noob here, any help appreciated.

Zizi