Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Hi zizi! Good to hear you l’ve also got your hands on this awesome setup. I’m still madly in love with both these machines after all this time, both feel like timeless instruments. I think there’s multiple ways in which to connect the 2, so theres no wrong or right way.

My setup is pretty simple: the digitakt has a midi out cable going in to the grandmother, and the grandmother can be routed to the digitakt input via my mixer. I use the first midi channel on the dt to control/sequence the grandmother, and if i got something i like, i record it into the dt and put it on one of the audio channels, and move onto the next sound on the GM, by twisting knobs until i have another cool sound.

Theres a lot of other ways to use them together though, i think you could use the GM as the controller keyboard for the DT as well as a sound source by connecting midi in/out on both decices using 2 cables, but you’ll have to turn of local control on the GM to avoid a midi loop (i think this is possible, you should check the manual). You could also try sending clock to the GM to control its sequencer or arp, but i’m not sure how this works as i only use the DT sequencer. Good luck, whatever way you’ll get them to work together!

1 Like

so funny reading myself around two years later…
I’m a heavy Digitakt user now, and, if everything goes as planned, I’ll have a Virus Snow in a few weeks :nerd_face:

I’m super excited about the combination, never had a multi timbral synth before… the fact that it has built-in fx is nice, and I’m also considering passing the DT through Virus’ input (in the first place just to avoid the need of using a mixer, at lease until they add stereo monitoring to the Digitakt… ehem… :roll_eyes:)
but maybe also using one part on the virus to process the input with fx… al depending on how fast I end up maxing out the polyphony/processor on the Snow… I don’t think I’ll ever have the need for more than 2/3 parts

Eurorack, naturally.

Woah thank you so much for your input! I was finally able to connect them. I now do a similar thing except I dont use any mixer (yet). Grandmother out goes directly into the left input of the digitakt with monitoring on. Digitakt sequencer controls the synth so I can lay sounds on the grid and play the synth live simultaneosly. So far I found it hard to find something that goes well together as the Grandmother just overpowers everything in its thickness, it is very pleasurable though. Im now stuck with a final problem. When I record through Overbridge I can hear the Grandother only on one ear (logically). Hopefully I will be able to solve this without too much hassle.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Are there any multiple-track synths apart from the the Digitone? I want to play chords with the Digitakt, and that means midi control of another box.

I’ve tried with iPad‘s excellent synths, but it’s too unreliable. Digitone seems like overkill, doubling up on sequencers like that. But it has four killer tracks, and sounds amazing.

Any alternatives?

If you want to play chords, that means your second synth must be polyphonic which narrows yoour choices down.

In the sub-€700 (DN price) you can get minilogue xd, micromonsta, ju-06a, but none of these is multi-timbral (multi-track).

You should reconsider Digitone if you like the FM sound. It’s seriously featured for the price you pay. 8 voice polyphonic with 4 tracks and separate sequencers, + recording automations on the fly with great FX

I was thinking the same when I only had Digitakt and wanted to use every possible midi track, so nothing is left unused. When I added Digitone, i send clock from DT but also send LFOs via DT’s 8 MIDI tracks and record them in DN, it’s heaven of creative possibilities.

TL:DR you can get analog poly such as Minilogue xd or ju-06a for cheaper (no multi track) but DN is a monster if you like the FM sound. The analog multi-timbral that are expensive are Analog Four (4 mono tracks) and Prophet Rev2 (2 poly tracks).

1 Like

I do like the look (and sound) of the DN. I just wondered if there might be options. It looks like this is it – especially if I don’t want something with a keyboard.

I was also considering the OP-Z, although in my experience it’s synth engines are quite limited. Although it could be that it’s my synth-programming skills that are limited…

I’d also recommend the digitone, but if you are looking for a cheaper synth that is also multitimbral and powerful I would recommend a Waldorf Blofeld. Used ones go for really cheap. They are a bit weird to edit though. And the digitone is much more fun IMO.

4 Likes

OK - Maybe this is not the typical answer, but Omnisphere is my synth of choice if I had to pick one synth to use with my DT.

I know it’s a soft-synth, but the multi-mode and routing is a perfect match for the DT.
8 midi tracks map to the 8 parts of Omnisphere in multi-mode.
Because you can change the current multi with a single program change, it feels like a “kit”.

The other half of Omnisphere is it’s effects section, which I would put a full level above any effects implementation I’ve ever used. Each “kit” (called a “multi”) has an additional 4 effects racks (up to 4 effects in each rack), with proper routing, and the crazy part is that you can automate all FX parameters. Sequencing FX parameters with Omnisphere, or the DT is really rewarding.

Any way, I can’t say enough good things about Omnisphere, for me it’s been my 2nd best music purchase of all time. My first best purchase being my DT :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gino

7 Likes

If you want multi-timbrality and polyphony in the DN price range then a 2nd hand Virus TI is very hard to beat. I’m not knocking the DN though, it’s fantastic as it has the Sequencer and FM goodness, but you’ll probably still be wanting something for all those empty Midi channels. I love both of them for different reasons, the Virus isn’t fully FM but it makes up for it in a million different ways.

1 Like

I tried out a Digitone in a store today. Great machine, but I realized I will have to learn way too much about FM just to get started. That’s fine, but it’s a lot of extra work just to get chords on the Digitakt!

I came up with a rather neat workaround. I have an Eventide H9 pedal, which has a harmonizer algorithm. I just played a DX sample through it (from the DT), and resampled it back into the Digitakt.

Instant chord progressions!

It even plays in key. So, if you set it to C Major, and play a D, it’ll play a D minor. The four-voice Quadravox algorithm means you can play five-note chords. It can delay them, too, for strummed or arpeggiated effects.

2 Likes

Cool, I’ll have to try this. I’ve not delved in to the H9 algorithms enough.

I would go for a sirin over the minitaur

I really think though the Digitone is nice, for what your paying it just seems like to much redundancy so far as all of it’s features i.e. the sequencing etc that the takt has covered to really think it stands out that much as a digital synth.

I couldn’t think there is one synth that will fit for all but I’d recommend you pick your flavor, digital/analog.

If you do hardware or software, hardware- go for CC control of all parameters for the advantage of
p-locking.

Polyphony, if it’s more than 4 note you can at least dedicate more midi channels to play the full poly of the synth.

I use a minilogue xd, and throw a sub phatty and a minibrute into the mix when I want to sample some other options.

1 Like

I hear you. I was also thinking about the importance of the MIDI CC implementation so I will be able to p-lock.

So does the $500 mono synth market offer something for deep bass and baritone leads other than the Minitaur that has MIDI CC??

Is it worth the extra $200 for Sirin?

PS: my setup is Digitakt, Digitone and A4 mk1 I’m looking for mono bass synth to p-lock and its Minitaur or Pro-1 i can’t p-lock. Making mostly IDM breakbeat

Have you looked at the Circuit Mono Station? Might have enough of what you’re looking for, including parameter/sound locks.

1 Like

try a Toraiz AS-1. Loads of CC# capabilities, sub OSC (with independent level), and great filter

5 Likes

Another aspect to bear in mind: some gear reacts better to program change than other. Novation for instance is reknown for this.

Do you mean that novation gear responds badly to program changes? Any info on Minitaur or Toraiz AS-1 for that instance? Thanks

To the contrary.
Novation responds better :slight_smile:
So does Arturia gear.
As far as I have experienced.
Not working/involved with either :slight_smile: