Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Wouldn’t say it’s expensive really. Compared to a Deepmind maybe. It’s slightly cheaper than the Rev2 and looks especially good value next to the System-8 or the Prologue.

Great synth, very good for sound design so definitely suited to creating sample food.

1 Like

A4 comes with a looper too. The delay can be used at low tempos to get pretty good amount of looping time.

2 Likes

Maybe the new Korg minilogue xd MODULE ?

2 Likes

Just seen the Summit poly synth has been unveiled…drool…

1 Like

This might be my next purchase. I’d love to hear if anyone is using a DT with the XD, and if it pairs nicely.

1 Like

Slightly OT but my RM1X’s were my go to sequencers for years and I still love the workflow of having the RM at the heart of a setup. I’d still have a QY700 or two!

2 Likes

I recently had the same challenge with almost exactly the same criteria. I ended up buying a keenly priced Circuit Mono Station. It’s mono without the traditional keyboard (because a Bass Station II was too big for me). 2 Osc (with PWM), Ring mod, sub osc, 1 LFO and a 3rd sequencer that can be fashioned into an LFO. It has CV out and audio in (to the filter stage) so you could add something else in the future to give yourself effectively a third osc. The envelop can be switched into cyclic mode and used like an LFO.

I like the filters and the mod matrix. It has plenty of good quality knobs which was really important for me since I’d tried a Blofeld and just couldn’t get into making sound with it.

Patch memory, with the ability to programme change from my Digitakt. Lots of CC control. I can sequence it from the Digitakt but I can also sequence it locally, which I didn’t expect to do but actually I rather like it. Both oscillators can be played on separate midi channels, paraphonically.

I think I can use the CV to clock sync a Pocket Operator (although I haven’t had the time to figure that out yet).

I’ve enjoyed the form factor of the Circuit Mono Station. It’s enjoyable to just plug in on its own with some headphones while on the sofa and do some sound design or sequence a lead or bass line, which I can then sample into the Digitakt to free the synth up for another part.

I also considered the SE-02, AS-1, Minitaur (didn’t like the Octave restriction) and the Dominion Club, but ultimately I couldn’t pass on the CMS at £249 and I’m glad I didn’t. Very nearly got an SE-02 but I had a play with one a week after getting the CMS and it turns out the knobs are too close together for my fingers.

Now I’m left wanting a polysynth, so considering something like a DN or a Micromonsta to fill that gap. Originally I thought I’d use a Volca FM for it but I want to play minor7 chords and 3 voices is one too few.

Here’s my setup (the CMS sounds lovely through the MS-100BT):

3 Likes

I mentioned revamping the MnM and MD in DT format to Ess, but he said no basically, adding they would rather focus on the future, which turned out to be the DNK :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ive had my digitakt almost since it came out and have traded synths in and out. Ive gone through an alpha juno, a boog, a monologue, am 0coast.

But this just feels right. There are so many different ways to work with this system and there is pretty much nothing you cant do

Now im trying to find one effects processor with nice overdrive especially. Analog heat is probably ideal, but im going to keep looking for something cheaper until i finally give in and grab one.

4 Likes

i love the A4 and digitakt combination too!

5 Likes

Im envious of how much room you have left on the table :wink:

1 Like

not enough cognitive space left :wink:

sold my rytm mk2 for digitakt (very happy with the decision)
and bought a mixer, I have a lot of dj experience, so easy for me

the MPC stops my flow. Too much thinking, lack of unexpected sound experience

1 Like

Did you build that keyboard, or was that a configuration you purchased? Loving that color layout!

unicomp model m

I like the keyboard alot. but you can see how i will put the keyboard up on the shelf and then pull the dt out when its time to play.

For that reason ill probably go back to wireless.

I’d prefer more gear on the table, I’m more envious about the room in the room. :smile:

Funny to see the MPC LIVE above an A4. Looks almost the same size…

I just run my DT through an AK track. Sometimes in mono. Still big but with growl :grin:
I had the analog heat. Traded it and a mother 32+$100 for the AK. Only thing I miss about the heat are the dedicated knobs and the pots. A little easier to play the filter

Glad you mentioned that. I have been running the digitakt through the a4, but havent gotten around to placing it on a track yet. The chorus is definitely handy and so are the different rev and del.

But i havent been a big fan of the a4 style distortion so far, i have the digitakt so ive been using that to dirty up samples of it.

I now see why it was added to mk2, good idea

1 Like

Yeah, not too many good options out there now for mechanical keyboards. Still, it’s very nice!

100% Eurorack

Or Blofeld (sounds great and multitimbral).

Or just a fantastic sounding analogue synth such as Microvolt 3900.

But Eurorack.

I’m a bit off my A4 lately, I think I’m probably just bored with the way I use it and need to push myself with it more, I’ve had it for a long time and it was my 1st Elektron. I’ve got a Peak and a virus TI and just like working with polyphony more than mono synths too.

As for the topic, if I had to choose just 1 with the DT, it would have to be the virus, it’s the Octatrack of synths in terms of capability really and most importantly multi-timbral. Thankfully I don’t have to choose and the Peak is a thing of beauty. In my setup I actually sequence a Proteus 2000 from the DT which is also great and these days a bargain.

It’s funny how there has been no modern competitor to the virus, except the Waldorf kyra looks interesting, but it still doesn’t look as versatile as the virus. It will be better sound quality though, like the Peak with serious oversampling. Amazing times.