Best microphone for portable Digitakt setup

my mic worked without preamp

can I ask, what kind of mic you were using?

1 Like

shure sm 58 or something like that
the cheap classic if i recall correctly

was super surprised i could use that without pre amp

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

Necro-bumping this as I want to see if anyone can recommend a microphone (or sampler with live monitor) to work with vocals.

Currently I have a decent mic, but I need to use a separate phantom power unit, plus a pre-amp to get it to line level. I am currently routing this through the DT, and it works really well.
It’s just a lot of stuff to drag out when I need to do vocals, and I can’t fit it in my current case.

What I really want is a decent small mic that I can plug straight into the DT (Left Input) which allows me to pass it to my DAW and record any length, or sample directly into the DT. My goal would be to have it in my case, so that I always have it on hand.

The other alternative would be to get a Zoom or Tascam audio recorder with live monitoring (which I would send to the Left In on the DT). I have not tried one for vocals, but the examples I have heard from it sound great.

Best regards,

Gino

1 Like

I use a voice recorder and hook the line out into the DT. Not quite the same as a live mic but it works well enough for me

1 Like

Makes sense. That’s the same workflow I do with my my phone, except a voice recorder will probably give better quality.

And if it’s good enough for Mr Mech, and now you, it should be plenty fine for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same. I tried this with the OP-1 and it’s fantastic. Bonus: you get a backup recording if you want. I used a Roland recorder I was testing out once.

Really happy I went this route, and thanks for the recommendations.

After a lot of reading and video reviews I ended up getting a refurbished Zoom H5, and it’s been working perfect.

First off it has line out with live monitoring so I can enable the built-in microphones and sample direct into the DT. This makes it optional to record into the H5 at the same time, which is what I wanted.

In my setup I was pleasantly surprised that the DT sends stereo to my DAW. I’m using the EXT L and R for input, and for some reason thought it was going to be mono due the monitoring on the DT being mono.

Also since the H5 has XLR with phantom power, the mic I have works great with it.

And of course the real bonus is being able to take the H5 with you, and do samples or use mics without your computer or DT.

Best regards,

Gino

3 Likes

Hello,friends! :grinning: How do you think it’s possible to use that portable microphones with Digitakt? from ik multimedia IK Multimedia - iRig Mic Cast 2

I would like to use it for fast sampling some noises,precussion, instruments and etc
Have no idea should it work straight to Digi or not? Will be enough power and volume…

I would be very grateful for ideas and recommendations, I’m looking for something very compact on which to make quick recordings of samples

Thank you all at advance!

Looks like it uses a 3.5mm jack for output, so it should work fine with the correct cable.

I use a cheap battery powered lav mic.
One like this… MAONO Lavalier Microphone, Clip on Lapel Mic with Omnidirectional Condenser for Podcasting, Recording, Vlogging, Compatible with iPhone, Android, Smartphone, DSLR, Camera, PC, Computer, Laptop, AU-100 https://a.co/d/0MpEoMK

1 Like

That thing works well without a preamp?

Thank you for the answer! But probably the charge of this microphone is not enough for a long time? I also found the good option in ik multimedia iRig Stream Mic Pro iRig Stream Mic Pro - Compact multi-pattern microphone and stereo/4-channel audio interface But not so cheap

I’ve been on the same battery for a year. I use it with my OP1 also.

1 Like

yes, no preamp needed. I use it with my OP1 also.

Thanks for the tip!

No battery so I guess the signal would be very weak, hence very noisy after auto-normalize…if you plan to use it with your smartphone maybe…

So you connect it to Digi input without any additional things? And what about noise and loudness at your opinion? for vocal chops/samples for example

I think the same … yes:( need to try it , but afraid that would be a disappointment

1 Like

sounds fine. I mostly clip it to my wooden native flute to sample but also used it for vocals and acoustic guitar.